Register now to get rid of these ads!

model a frame jig and box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by telecustom, Feb 6, 2010.

1. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

just want to know what you guys have to say about this one.. I have two A frames, the first one has good rails little to no pitting, but the cross members are in bad shape. The front cross member has been changed out leaving the horns and front rails in bad shape. also its not square, this is a 1928 frame. Next one is a 1929 its square and all original the cross members are in good shape. but the rails have little pitting up and down them, and really bad on drivers top of rail just behind the center cross member. also there are chips and cracks on the tops of the rails just before the rear cross member on both sides. And the brackets are a lot nicer on this frame.

Now what I'm thinking of doing is using 28' rails with 29' cross members, squaring it off making a home made jig weld it in straitening rails steering box ext. and box it with my new 32' k member off the HAMB.
    Or cut the crap and go with the 29' frame fix the cracks, jig it box it and run.

so what do you think?

2. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Depending on how bad the '29 rails are(any pics?),and your capabilities,I'd try to repair and save them.Then either sell on the '28 rails or stash them for a future project.
    Mark

3. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

thats what im thinking I got two banjo's, three front axles all other little parts, Ill mock up the 28' and sell it for more. this is my first project and i don't really care to take the easy way out. I want to apply this to a career when im done. so I want to do it right the first time. this is all my own research and funding. ill also get some pics up later today.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  4. budd

budd

on your frame with the messed up cross members, is the rear cross member messed up as well? my thought is if your going to box the frame then you could replace the front member with an aftermarket weld in one. lets see your pics.

5. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

the 28' rear cross member at the center for bolt up has some waves, the 29' is much cleaner. im heading out right now to mock up both frames. ill have pics up in 2-4 hrs

6. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

7. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

8. pitman

pitman

If you plan to box it, I'd replace the x-members and weld up any repairs needed on the good rails. Once boxed you won't hear from them again.

9. sluggo88

sluggo88
    from upland ca

All modal A frames are the same.... no differance

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

However, not all model A front crossmembers are the same. '28 and '29 have a slightly taller radiator mounting pad than the '30 and '31. About 3/16"difference. No big deal if you are building a '28 '29, but a pain in the ass if you are building a '30'31. Not trying to nit pick, but it's some thing I just learned recently the hard way.

11. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

I do know the center x members in 30'31' are different from 28'29' being easier to identify. The spare front x member in the 28' pics has a mount like nothing iv seen. im thinking of switching the two.

12. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

As far as I can see in the pics,both frames look repairable.One just needs more work than the other.
    Your idea to build a rolling chassis with the spare frame and parts to sell on is probably the way I'd go.
    Mark