Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A Floors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31 Chopped Coupe, Mar 7, 2018.

1. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

Building some floor pans for my 31 coupe with 3 simple beads in each piece. Was curious though what everyone prefers, beads up or beads down? What looks best? Maybe some pics or thoughts. Thanks

2. Terrible80

Terrible80

3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Just Gary and treb11 like this.
  4. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

This is what I did. Built the floor out of regular sheet metal and had a buddy with a bead roller put some beads in it for me. Floor for inside the cabin is a thicker metal than in the trunk just so it holds up a little bit better. I put the beads down though. I liked the way that looked better. But yeah to what Dino said, I don't think it matters what orientation you have them. floor.jpg floor2.jpg floor3.jpg

5. RMONTY

RMONTY

Beads up keeps stuff from getting in them. If it were to gather stuff and get wet....

H380 likes this.
  6. Just my $0.02 worth ,but with the beads down wouldn't the floor be flatter . Seems like it would then be easier to install sound-deadener ,carpet backing and carpet ??
    Tow-may-tow...Toe-mot-toe...Ya takes yer pick ,ya takes yer chances.. ( I actually prefer Tuh-Mater)
    Stan

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Dino 64 likes this.
  7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I don't see much difference in either. Though with beads up youll feel them more with your foot. Man what a bummer itd be to have that one bump that you always have to slide your foot over or balance it on to drive. But boy how cool it would be to have a bead just right to wedge your foot in and make "cruise control" speed on the freeway

belair and Dino 64 like this.
  8. my `30 coupe is beads down , but as others have said... don't think it matters

9. I rolled the beads down in my Deuce pickup.

upload_2018-3-8_9-55-34.jpeg

Rolled down on the Ranch Wagon floors.

upload_2018-3-8_10-0-12.jpeg

Rolled up in the spare tire area on the Ranch Wagon because I didn't want them rubbing against the gas tank and I did paint the area so any dirt from changing a tire won't accumulate in a bead. HRP

upload_2018-3-8_10-3-22.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  10. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I went beads down. When I put down the sound deadener I just ran a strip in the beads to make it level and the carpet lays flatter

11. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

OK ... I decided to go beads down so I could bolt something to the floor easier if needed in the future. Have the two panels under the seat area done and I'm happy so far, now I need to mount the body again so I can do the trunk area around the frame step and crossmember hump. Thanks for the replies.

12. Up collects less water too