Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body- Woodkit or metal tubing ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Turbo26T, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Need some opinions on the best way to do an inner structure on a Model A ? Use readily available woodkits and be done with it ? ( Not crazy about the nail /screw fastening system tho...)
    Or, replace the wood structure with square tubing ? At least the roof and possibly the whole inner body structure...
    Also ,I'm leaning towards filling the roof opening with a sheetmetal panel as opposed to a vinyl insert..

If you've done either ,how did it come out..Timewise ,money wise , long/short run experiences..??
    I starting my '30 A coupe project ,so any guidance from anyone thats been down that road would be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks ,
    Stan

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  2. dan31

dan31

Nothing wrong with just going with wood on a model a ,its not like a pre 37 chevy. The model a's don't really use the wood for structure support like the chevy ,which is a wooden structure with sheet metal wrapped around it. I own both a 31 ford and a 35 chevy sedan and the model a is a stronger body

3. when i did my `30 ford coupe i used all the wood...the body wood was mostly original that i reconditioned and the top wood was all new. it had been a while (20 years) since i worked on a model a and was surprised how expensive wood got!

dan31 is correct....the body wood is mostly to attach upholstery to and screw the 1/4's and rear window garnish into. however , on the top wood the long pieces above the doors ties the body onto the front door posts and front header. i'm sure they could be replaced with wood , but it wood be some work to get it right

as for filling the top...i'm sure i will get blasted by what i say here...i am 100% against it. model a bodies flex , if you look at an A that has been on the road a few years and the top had been filled and bondo'd you will see cracks

[​IMG]

Dino64 likes this.
  4. I use wood if it's available,when we built a 34 Chevy we used steel. HRP

5. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I have nothing of value to add, I just wanted to say that is a beautiful modified in your avatar. I've seen other pictures of it over the years & it is a VERY well built automobile. thanks.

6. I have "steeled" out several early Fords and I think the advantages outweigh the negatives.
    Body is more solid, doors shut better, steel fits (since you fit it), and the cost of the metal is considerably cheaper than wood kits. I feel the steel is easier than installing a wood kit, too. If you plan well, your trimmer will have no problems either. No squeaks like you can get with wood.

Personally, I feel filled roofs detract from the cars overall appearance; especially all As, Ts, along with V-8 sedans. Ribbed wagon and van roofs are the worst. just saying

7. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

image.jpg I used 1" square tube and a ribbed roof. Do what works for you.