Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A body on ‘32 chassis WITH FENDERS- Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffRaffRoadster, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quoted...

An early supercharged race car was built by Lee Chadwick of Pottstown, Pennsylvania in 1908 which reportedly reached a speed of 100 mph (160 km/h).

:rolleyes:...I quoted North America...but they have even earlier roots...I would suspect there is much within the Hamb regarding the history in Hotrod/Race...I'm certainly not an expert on these by any means...but they go back...even wild pipes go way back...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger

@GasGas300 just purchased a homebuilt manifold which is elevated...so again while the commercial tunnel ram was introduced post it was close and may have been experimented with much earlier...

20190109_183119.jpg

GasGas's thread below...Hey here's a cool fact about Gas' Hotrod is while he didn't inherit it he purchased years and years later his Fathers Hotrod in it's near last driven by him condition...unreal...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/34-five-window.1121604/

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  2. town sedan

town sedan

Don't want to be a buzz kill, but I must offer a friendly word.

Take it easy on the late model pictures. It will definitely get you in dutch with the moderators.
    Have fun!
    -Dave

3. town sedan

town sedan

Your right, but the worlds fastest '57 Chevy was powered by a Hemi!
    -Dave

RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Yes. we don't want this thread shut down because of posting pictures of OT cars!

5. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  6. TheBougiePunk

TheBougiePunk

Having two hot rods

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

You can never have too many hot rods. Next you'll need a coupe for when it rains, then a sedan so you can all go together etc. etc. etc.

Stogy and RiffRaffRoadster like this.
  8. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

Like Father, like Son: I also was new to the H.A.M.B. and asked all kinds of outlandish questions about tilt-steering and Pete & Jakes prefab chassis, before I fully understood the spirit of this site (pre-1965 period-correct hot rods). Go easy on the young man, as he will learn in time as I did...

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

The quick - disconnect fender idea is just silly. You risk scratching up the paint everytime you do it and also you need a dedicated place to stash them when they are off. Sort of like a removable hardtop for '55 T-Bird or Corvette.

RiffRaffRoadster likes this.
  10. goldmountain

goldmountain

How about this? The ultimate quick - disconnect. Although I don't think it is really that quick. Scan-190226-0001.jpg

11. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

I don't get it. Looks like photoshop!

loudbang and jimgoetz like this.
  12. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I was thinking the same. I remember all the heat you put up with. I think you could eng. some easy off fenders and boards if you really wanted to. Guy's used to just unbolt them. Its not that hard. look at the above attachment and you don't really see that many parts laying around.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Oh yes you might get a scratch or two but that would just be the start of authentic patina for the next generation. And I still have those 40-48 taillights. Stick those in and look all the bodywork you could save on that back panel. ( another joke guys)

loudbang, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. RiffRaffRoadster

RiffRaffRoadster

hell - hot rods in the future will probably be like 'Transformers' and will morph from Duece Coupes, to 55 Chevys, to 69 Novas with the push of a button.

jimgoetz and loudbang like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a bit of work but it's totally doable and it would reflect two personalities of this vehicles past...and in no way was I suggesting he do this 3 times a month...it would be perhaps a few months to perhaps even a full season one way or the other...and remember it is going to be a driver...not a Riddler award contender...

Riff could make protected stands or hangers to rest/hang the components removed in his garage. It truly is a unique option...he can consider...

16. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Someone been watching to many episodes of Tranaformer

loudbang likes this.
  17. just leave the fenders on and build a big enough engine to move the "extra" weight.
    taking the fenders off looks faster, tougher, cooler ?

18. catdad49

catdad49

No photoshop, here you go fellas! J & K Chevy.jpg J & K Chevy 2.jpg

19. TheBougiePunk

TheBougiePunk

Well how about that! Stogy‘s a believer.

20. TheBougiePunk

TheBougiePunk

Read back a little bit. Two reasons removable fenders would be cool for our build:

1. I like highboys and my dad likes full fendered cars

2. The tail light cut outs we found under the paint reveals that this car was once a highboy but was fitted with custom fenders after. This machine really did have two personalities (three if you count the stock config.) and it’d be cool to bring out that dual personality again in our build.

21. Well, this thing is starting to go in too many directions. I don't know why you would want to make removable the one thing that makes this car unique, the 32 fenders on a model A. What would be the purpose, I doubt if you are going to race it at the lakes, like Lou Bingham did.
    Without the fenders it is just going to be another hi-boy model A roadster.

Mick

dwollam and tb33anda3rd like this.
  22. TheBougiePunk

TheBougiePunk

Mick, read my previous response.

jimgoetz and loudbang like this.
  23. Late to the conversation but most of these types of modifications to make something removable end up being a waste of time because after the first time doing it you realize what a massive pain in the ass it is to take them off/put them on, store the parts safely etc that you never do it again.

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What again I do find very nice to see is the younger generation thinking of, enjoying and wanting to get involved in this vintage car scene (there are threads on this)...Ultimately it's the Fathers ride and the Son has a desire to see another side to this picture...so perhaps they can collaborate together...After the initial completion of the full fendered restoration to make plans for a second period look...perhaps thinking and talking this through with the Builder will help in prepping things to be easily executed when that does happen. It sure is cheaper than buying a second ride.

The only reason I suggested this is the fact there was a desire by Reese (Bougie) to experience a fenderless Hotrod...These two fellas I suspect are quite capable of doing the wrenching needed to achieve this.

No it's not practical...but then so much about this hobby is not practical...its really about another connection to the experiences of the past...who knows these two may make that pilgrimage to the Dry Lakes someday with the Ole Hotrod to just take it all in...

Good luck with the ongoing project with all the twists and turns.

dwollam, scott27, Torkwrench and 3 others like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wouldn't that make a cool pic for the garages at night thread...;)

dwollam, jimgoetz and loudbang like this.
  26. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

75% of my cars are HAMB friendly the Other 25% are transportation modules !! yep no ls motors or air bags or mustang 2 front ends of fuel injection. Today I started working on a 63 falcon gasser for a buddy I will post some pictures soon

27. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

Ok, now my next idea is a 32 roadster with a removable floor that I can quick change from a highboy to a channeled car. Now I'm ready to shut up and let this get back to Riffraff's OP.

28. TheBougiePunk

TheBougiePunk

Don’t give me any ideas

Blues4U and jimgoetz like this.
  29. Maybe it's just me, but this thread seems to have lost focus... how 'bout posting some more progress shots of the rebuild to swing us all back around.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  30. TheBougiePunk

TheBougiePunk

Car is in another shop. Frame is getting sandblasted, engine taken apart, looking for all the body work that needs to be done.

Our guy said the engine (57 Chevy 283) looked pretty new with low miles as if it was rebuild as soon as it was put into the car.

We wanted to put a Muncie 4-speed in it but allot of the body and cross members are modified to fit an automatic so that’s still undecided. This is another difference between my dad and I, he wants it auto and I feel like it should be standard (a real hot rod)

Body work will be pretty expensive and we’re deciding what to replace and what to fix (obviously trying to keep as much as possible)

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and jimgoetz like this.