Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mobil 1 oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1946caddy, Nov 6, 2020.

1. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I was under the impression that ALL Mobil 1 is synthetic ?:confused:

2. Budget36

Budget36

I thought so as well, but AZ shows 3 different flavors on the shelf. A blend, full and I’m pretty sure just regular oil. I recall two of the colors being blue on one, green on the full. Don’t recall the third color of the bottle

I could have easily been mistaken though, wasn’t really that concerning to me at the time

3. gene-koning

gene-koning

I happened to be working at a Mobil Gas Station when Mobil 1 first came out. That was probably the mid 70s.
    Then all the Mobil 1 was synthetic, and it didn't come with a weight designation. Being a broke teenager I couldn't afford the Mobil 1 price tag at the time, so its something I never bought myself. The conventional Mobil oil worked well, and there wasn't any vehicle I would be keeping long term back then.
    Somewhere around the year 2000, they started adding a weight designation to the Mobil 1, they would have likely had to change the formula then because not many people wanted to put a 0 w anything oil in their motor at that time.

I haven't kept up with Mobil 1 development, but with the advent of several other "blended" synthetic oils on the market these days, it probably wouldn't surprise me if some form of blended Mobil 1 was available. I do find it rather ironic to think that the company that first put synthetic oil on the market as an option to the "dwindling oil reserves" would be blending conventional oil to it these days. Gene

4. deansrr

deansrr

Moble 1 pays GM and others to recommend their oil. Nothing wrong with it, but you don't have to use it.

Blues4U and Deuces like this.
  5. KenC

KenC

According to this page:

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/motor-oils

Only synthetic oils are labeled 'Mobil 1', others are just 'Mobil'.

Elcohaulic and Special Ed like this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

That's what's recommended for my 2019 gt/cs....

7. I mostly sell Mobil lubricants at my shop. Mobil 1 is of course synthetic. They also supply me with a line of non-synthetic oils as well as (more recently) blends. Being in Canada, things may not be the same as in the US or other parts of the world.

8. I spent about 15 min. checking out that page just before getting around to finding your post here. From what I gather there on that site.....
    -everything labeled "Mobil 1" is full synthetic......
    -they have a few more full synthetic oils that aren't labeled as Mobil 1......
    -those labeled "Mobil Super" could be full synthetic also but in most cases are blends.......
    -they have a "Mobil Special" line that is non-synthetic (I think?)
    I'm easily confused, so with their high number of oil products listed, I could have a few gaps in my synopsis.

Blues4U likes this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yeah, I don't know where the idea that Mobil 1 is not a full synthetic came from, but according to the information on their website, every product labeled Mobil 1 is a full synthetic. Somebody mentioned that Mobil 1 had been cheapened, or degraded down to a Group III synthetic, I don't have any information on that, it may be accurate, but I've never heard that and have always assumed Mobil 1 is a Group IV, or PAO, product.

You can look up the product data sheets for the various Mobil 1 products here: https://amgreatness.com/2020/11/10/...as-coerced-by-interviewers-to-sign-statement/

Here's a quick guide that gives typical zinc/phosphorus levels in the various products.

Attached Files:

ekimneirbo and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

Special Ed likes this.
  11. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Group 4 includes Amsoi Signature, Redline, Royal Purple, and Motul, and Reptoid. Those are the the only group IV that I know of.

12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Castrol Edge

13. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Forget Mobil 1 ,I'm sticking with Shell! 124306086_102892788303223_5915918321569826266_o.jpg

14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Bob, as long as your running with those guys you'll be fine. LOL.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  15. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

i figured everyone would get a chuckle out of it.If nothing else,I made you look.

16. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

FWIW Shell owns Pennzoil/ Quaker State & is in partnership with China in many energy ventures..