Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mixing diesel in your gas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by catfishdog, Jul 3, 2014.

1. catfishdog

catfishdog
    from Miami

Ok so I was just told that mixing diesel with gas at the ratio of 1 pint of diesel to 10 gallons of gas helps lubricate the motor, (electric )fuel pumps and combat the issues that ethanol creates with gaskets, etc. clearly it should not be used on newer cars due to catalytic converters. But how true is this, am I going to gunk up my exhaust valves? Or does this hold any truth?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. stimpy

stimpy

lowers the octane considerably as diesel is a autoignition fuel and cetane is way lower in the numbers than octane . might help your gaskets at the expense of pounding out your bearings and possibly busting your rings

3. I told a guy on a panhead to put a pint in his tanks as a joke . The idiot did it ,it ran one block the dead puppy . Had to drain tanks and lines and float bowl . The joke ended up on me as I had to do all the work .

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'd heard (used in the ratio you list) it helps prevent vapor-lock due to the crap called gasoline these days...

R-

5. Grahamsc

Grahamsc
    from Colorado

Several years ago a guy had his pickup towed to the dealership from the gas station after he realised he had filled his tank with diesel instead of gas.
    I drained the tank and kept the mixture that the man said was about 50/50.
    I ran it through my 95 buick 1 gal with every fillup and it never affected the car at all , in fact it still passed emissions last year.
    Same cat, same o2 sensor.

6. oldolds

oldolds

That is an 80:1 mix? I doubt it will hurt anything. I doubt it will fix anything.

7. stimpy

stimpy

Ill make it easy on you read this , ( I can loose people with technical mumo jumo and this is already printed ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

8. stimpy

stimpy

and diesels autoigition tempature is 75-100* lower about 410 F vs 475 -525 F

9. Why not just use a good ash free two cycle oil, I put a couple of ounces in my diesels tank at fill ups for the same reasons the OP stated.

10. daddylama

daddylama

i knew an old timer that mixed diesel, ATF and kerosene with his gasoline... i forget the ratio but it was something like a quart each of the diesel, ATF & kerosene to 20 gallons of gasoline. he ran that mix in everything from Harleys to his pickup to lawn mowers.

i never figured out why the hell he did that. his explanation was too difficult to understand, with the amount of whiskey he drank...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. tenfive0

tenfive0

I put 2 stroke oil in my diesels at 1oz to every gallon and home brewed Toluene, Mineral Sprits and Marvel Mystery Oil octane booster in my scooter. Never heard anyone putting diesel fuel in gas.

12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

People add diesel fuel to gasoline all the time. It's called Seafoam.

bobwop and sko_ford like this.
  13. The higher the octane the slower it burns, to reduce pre-detonation. And cetane is not octane and diesel is harder to light then gasoline . Older engines used lead to lube the top-end. The older heads had integrated seats, newer heads have harden seats. As stated before Marvel Mystery Oil is a great top-end lube.

14. daddylama

daddylama

i do toluene in my 2 strokes and used to with my harley when it was 11:1 cr. works pretty damn well as a cheap octane booster.

Dave50 likes this.
  15. daddylama

daddylama

16. T Fritz

T Fritz

We use the ratio of one pint of kerosene to 2 gallons of gas for very low compression motors. Stuff from the 20.s and earlier, the were designed for 60 octane gas and modern gas is hard on the exhaust valves and exhaust manifolds. Out in the country in the 60's you could by tractor fuel or distal-it it was a gas with the octane cut down for earlier tractors.
    Fritz

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

Don't know about putting diesel in gasoline, but I do know if you rub a little turpentine on a cat's ass, it'll pass a motorsickle.

:D

ABONES, sko_ford and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Back in the early 1960s my dad put a small amount of diesel in his 49 chevy pickup every few fill-ups. I think the belief was that it lubed and cleaned out the engine. Didn't seem to hurt it any.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some people say, believe, and repeat the most foolish things.

sko_ford, Ned Ludd, fuzzybear and 2 others like this.
  21. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

Not promoting it, just saying I've seen it done in the past. I know that people used to replace the oil in flatheads with kerosene and run them to clean them out, wouldn't suggest that ether, but it was done.

22. You sumanabisket, now come clean my coffee off the screen!!!!!!!! LOL

Old tractors often had dual tanks, one for gasoline, one for kerosene. Start it on gas then switch over to kero when warmed up, God help you if you killed the engine when running on kero, you had about 30 seconds to get it started, or you drained the carb and filled with gas.

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

In the 50's we used to slowly pour some diesel fuel down the carb of a fast idling engine, supposedly it cleaned the valves. I think the thing that made people think that was that the car smoked like mad during the process and we somehow thought that was carbon being blown out the tailpipes, when in reality it was the diesel fuel smoking.

Don

Andamo likes this.
  24. daddylama

daddylama

oh man, a guy down the road swore by that... he'd drain the oil, fill with kerosene and drive up/down the road. that truck's motor may have been clean... but it sure knocked like a som'bitch. :D

25. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Techron works well for that. Think it would be safer too. 1 bottle every oil change. Seen it fix some sticky sending units on late model gms

26. stimpy

stimpy

you aint and it aint shitting on that one ...

27. I had some upper cylinder lube (the type your'e meant to run to stop valve seat regression after they took the lead out of gasoline), analysed by a chemist at work, and he reckons it was about 98% diesel. So I substituted straight diesel in my "doser" (1ml per litres of Propane), and it,s still running strong. A lot cheaper than the upper cylinder lube.

28. tenfive0

tenfive0

My 113 cubic inch scoot is 12:1 and it WILL NOT run on pump gas with out home brew toluene octane booster added. I have a Massey Ferguson 2500 Forklift with 145 cubic inch engine 6-1/2:1 or 7:1 compression and I think if I pissed in the fuel tank it would run just fine. Some or most earlier tractor engines where designed to run on almost anything.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  29. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

Back in the day the mixing of fuels and oil was even in the owners manuals . This is the page from my 41 buick owners shop manual .

Attached Files:

30. catfishdog

catfishdog
    from Miami

Interesting, I am still wondering what the science behind this is