Register now to get rid of these ads!

misused discriptions that irritate or annoy you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustdodger, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 38zephyr

38zephyr

"Create" engine (instead of "crate" engine) is irritating , just saw it for the 100th time on craigslist .

Saying the same stuff on here that was said 47 pages ago bugs me also .
    (I didn't reread this whole shebang to see if anybody said create motor yet though )

Guys that post all the time mentioning their 2 32's and how cheap they bought them years ago and how they are worth a fortune now etc. is kind of annoying . I'm glad you love them , wish I had them also ... but we get it already .

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Prolly Duece is the wurst or maby Dextron.

On the original mileage thing. Back in the day "clocking" the odometer was a common car lot procedure. Thus the mileage showing was not "original" but altered.
    "Those are the original miles, not rolled back, I'll swear to it" Regards, Ron

3. Five years ago!:confused:

4. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

One was posted on my car clubs site a while back, it was a guy selling an 86 Crown Vic, and the photo was of him, and in the background you could barely see the car off to one side... with flat tires and tree crap all over it... and the ad stated it was a 4 year old photo, so how crappy would the car be now then?

I know there are, I don't think I said anything about that in my mini rant though... lol Just calling everything else out there a coupe when it's clearly not.

I have a 37 Dodge 2 door sedan, but if I say that to most people they ask if it's a coupe... I say no, then they ask if it's a 4 door... WTF?

5. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

only in canada, that or you're a big fat lier!!!:D

6. Howeird46Chev

Howeird46Chev

Love this thread

" Just a little surface rust ". Okay, How come you can see the ground through it?
    " Bodys real solid, except for a few places, here and here and here".
    I'm sure Mr ( Vic) goes crazy if he hears the same " numnuts" I have heard pronounce " Edelbrock as EL da Brock.
    Some of the most fun I have is listening or reading about " Traditional Hot Rods " by some folks that were not even a gleem in their daddys eye and he would not even drive the thing they are talking about out to the mailbox.

7. How about this, WTF is a manuel transmition?

8. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Thats what they use in Camero's ya big dummy. Eldebrocks are popular too.

9. It was ad for a Camera and it had a manuel transmition. It also had rust in the usual places, dints in the bumbers and was running when parked. Other than that it need nothing to be a classical.

10. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I may be big and fat, but I hardly ever tell lies, around the campfire BS sessions excluded mind you! :D

The Essex had bad doors and no trunk lid, it was just a shell, but I got a pair of doors off of a sedan for $30 from a museum of all places last summer, they are less then 1 inch shorter, so I if build the car I will shorten it that tiny bit.

The 58 Ford had a badly seized 223 and a bent frame, looks like it liked to try to go into orbit back into the day, must have been some hard landings LOL, even the diff housing was bent, so I have it on an 83 Bronco Chassis... it's on the back burner because I never was looking to buy another 57-60, there is a long line of projects ahead of it right now.

I will say that I have noticed that some things in the US seem to go for what I would consider way too much money, and others I think seem cheap, different places have different markets for this stuff I guess.

11. FC49

FC49

Just like for some people "of a certain age" all high-wing lightplanes are "Piper Cubs" and all motorcycles are "Holley-Davises."

Frank C.

12. Deuces

Deuces

It's pronounced "Camaro".... :rolleyes:

13. I think this should become a new, official designation. If you buy it all shiney and new and pre-assembled, then it's a "CRATE" engine. :D

If you assemble it yourself from a pile of parts, then you get to call it a "CREATE" engine. :cool:

14. Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Lone Star Mopar [​IMG]
    Thats what they use in Camero's ya big dummy. Eldebrocks are popular too.
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

I do believe that was his point, but...you knew that.

15. Berzerk

Berzerk

Bitch and moan threads about petty crap that has nothing to do with Traditional Style Hot Rods annoy me...

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

Its pronounced Camara!

17. norton58

norton58

"Old school" is a term that annoys the shit out of me. Or worse than that: "old skool".

18. dellyjonut

dellyjonut
    from St. louis

The solid/only rust spot comments irk me. I was looking at a guys 50 chevy coupe. It looked like it was in the woods for about 20 years with leaves stuffed in every corner of the car (splash shield etc) and up to the rockers in mud. He points to a few rust spots below the trunk lid and says "This is the only rust you'll need to worry about". Ya right, nothing buried in Missouri woods for decades is solid!

Another guy looked me in the eye and told me his 53 pontiac hardtop for sale was solid. It had no rockers, lower quarters and holes about the size of a fist in every floor pan. Thats solid allright!

Finally I had an old manager who had a terrible 29 Mercedes kit car. Everytime he would talk about it, he made it sound like its a real Mercedes. You dont own a 29 Mercedes! You own a beetle frame!

19. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Allot of the stuff that's been mentioned bugs me too, but the thing that's a deal killer for me is when I email the seller with some questions, and he replies with "call me". There's a reason I want the seller to answer my questions in an email. I want a record of what the seller says.

20. yblock292

yblock292

honestly, there was an ad in the wichita paper not long ago, "197? ford pickup runs and drives good no engine or transmission"

21. silentpoet

silentpoet
    from NWA

Think of how much gas you would save with no engine.

22. That is not necessarilly bad. I have had cars that I just quit driving, they ran fine, maybe the registration was expired and the A/C was out, it was summer and hot as Hell, so I got another car with A/C and left the other sitting for a year or more. Battery would no doubt be dead, but there's no outright deception going on.

23. YES! This is the fucking worst!!!!!!!! I hate it more then "Laying Frame" or " LAYED OUT" Negative Matt..... im with you a 100% on this one. A Chebby ?? What the F&*K !!!!!!!!!!!

24. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

"For Sale: 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang. Only 1 of 7 known to still exist. Frame off restoration. Big Block factory 302. No Rust. Needs floor pans. Good Glass except for windshield, and side windows, has factory Cragar wheels. Was an Automatic, but converted to factory Hirst shifter. $15,000 or it goes to the crusher next week."

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

It's a California thing conceived by 'sensitive' individuals with limp wrists.

Hate on them and face the wrath of the Brave New World. I'm starting to hate it here.

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

An idiot I chanced to help "axed" me to "give 'im the BREAKOVER BAR!"

I handed him the breaker bar, correcting his grammatical error.

"It don't matter what I call it ANYWAYS," he replied. I told him I'd make a list.

27. duke182

duke182

lmao!!
    please dont confuse tradition with so much of what goes on here.
    i love the hamb but until this board started i thought traditional hot rodding was doing the best you could with what you had. swappin, mmodifing and makin things to look better and go faster.
    oh well!

28. Deuces

Deuces

Maybe in your neck of the woods..hahaha.. :D

29. billsat

billsat

A couple of months ago an older gentleman walked into my business and while there he noticed some parts off of my 40 Ford sitting in my backroom. He asked what they were, I told him, and then he said "I've got one too." I asked him to tell me about his car, and he proceeds to tell me that the car was a 40 coupe, in great shape, original flathead, etc, and that he'd taken it in trade for a business debt back in the 70's. I asked him if he drove it, and he said no, it was sitting in one of his chicken houses and hadn't been moved since the day he got it. I asked him if he wanted to sell it and he went through the usual story that it meant too much to him, he would restore it, etc. About a month later the guy calls me and said he'd fallen on some rough times and wanted to sell the car, but won't tell me his price. Wants to know if I'd like to come see it, I said yes and took off for his house as soon as we hung up. I had grand visions of a sweet 40 barn find that would turn into my dream car as soon as I washed it and aired the tires. The guy puts me in his pick up and drives through a cow pasture until we get to his chicken house. At the far end of the chicken house I see "the 40" sitting on four flat tires. Only problem is, it was actually a 1950 Ford 4 door sedan, rotten as it could be. I opened the driver's door and could see the ground, same thing for the rear door. The flattie was missing the heads and the intake, the trunk wouldn't open, you get the drift, it was a bomb. I tried to tell the owner what he had but he just didn't want to believe me. I got back to my truck and went back to work. Talk about an inaccurate description!

30. Fenders

Fenders

Hahaha you are so funny, traditional hot rodding is building a rod using parts and techniques (excluding TIG welding and dual master brake cylinders) only used before 1956...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.