Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Miss fire after take a ride

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hudson52sam, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

Have Been trying to chase down this lil misfire for awhile , can leave it run in the garage and it won't do it go for a ride and push in the clutch coming to a stop sign and have to flutter the gas pedal so it won't shut off , get home and pull in the garage and it's idling fine except every once and awhile theres a caugh type miss???????? 1952 hudson wasp 262 6 cylinder

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Things that come to mind are the possibility of:
    A distributor that loosens up enough when it gets warm that the shaft wiggles a tad.
    A plug wire or two that the resistance changes on when they get hot.
    A crack in the cap that opens up a bit when it heats up or maybe carbon tracking in the cap.
    The ends of the secondary wires that are corroded or not making the best contact in the cap or on the plugs.
    A plug failing when it gets hot.

You don't usually see it on a car that one of us drives but a car that has just poked around town at low speeds can build up a lot of carbon in the engine that might cause pre-ignition

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    Hudson52sam likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

4. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

I'll check the dashpot it smells real lean when it's miss firing

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Float's too high ...sloshes fuel when brakes are applied.

6. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

The fuel pump when the motor gets hotter it sucks less fuel, I've always had a back up electric fuel pump by the back wheel, so I bypassed the original mechanical fuel pump and just ran the electric pump, the filter stays half full even when full throttle, but I don't know if the electric pump will last long being on the whole time your driving??

7. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

I think low fuel pressure when the mechanical pump got hot, was the reason for miss fire and hesitation and stalls

8. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

Never thought to check the intake bolts all of em where loose, runs like brand new again , happy as hell