Register now to get rid of these ads!

Misconceptions of old cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, May 16, 2011.

1. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

That is really low to mess with someone's car like that.

I think it's just the composition and size of older cars that makes them feel safe, in comparison to today's car, they really aren't all that safe.

2. I think people are just jealous. I always have a bad feeling in my stomach leaving my car in a parking lot somewhere.

3. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

Wow! I can't believe you beat me from the stop light! I always thought them old cars were slow.

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Dont get me wrong, i like meeting people especially the old timers. Im generally not an instant jerk to people, but when they start wasting my time because they just want to talk. Not so they can converse with me. It annoys me.

5. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

I am driving my 32 ford roadster some guys says nice model A

6. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

All I can say after reading the negitive comments--- stupid is as stupid does (I think they are jealous) :cool:

7. Dummmy: What is it?
    Me: It's a Chevrolet... a 1953 Bel Air
    Dummy: V8?
    Me: No it's a straight 6
    Dummy: All American cars are V8's
    Me: No not all of them
    Dummy: A 57 Bel Air ?
    Me: ...er No... a '53
    Dummy: But made in 57 right?
    Me: erm... nooo 19-53
    Dummy: Oh right... you'd like what I've got at home in my garage...
    Me: Really whats that?
    Dummy: A 1987 Mazda pickup!
    Me: ... erm...erm...riiiight
    Dummy: Yeah like new it is... you'd really like it

I think I can confidently predict I f**kin' wouldn't
    (not said out loud... just in me head!)

8. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

Oh yea, I gotcha. Those people are definitely annoying. Having an old car is definitely a good recipe for getting trapped by a long-winded someone with low social intelligence.

9. TerrorSwain

TerrorSwain

I hate how dumb people are....just read a book, or a magazine, or even the internet, and you will be a little smarter....lol

A few of my co-workers could not believe that my 54 chevy didn't have a v-8. And then they wanted to know why i wasn't gonna put a 10000000000 horsepower big block in it. And i said i don't wanna spend that kinda money. And they said "you gotta pay , if you wanna play"......that just bugs me....why is everything about f**king money theses days???? I bought the damn car to drive around and enjoy with my wife and our dog (as cheesy as that sounds)

10. Took the '41 Plymouth to the car wash the other day. Immediately, this guy starts a conversation while I'm washing the truck...

Him: "What year is that?"
    Me: "1941 Plymouth" (as I'm pointing to my 1941 OK license plate, and the Plymouth tailgate, right in front of the guy)
    HiM: "Really? Wow, I didn't know Plymouth had a truck!" (most folks don't)
    Me: "They did. '41 was the last year"
    Him: "What engine you got in that? Small block Chevy?" (to which I wanted to smack the dogshit out of him!)
    Me: "No, I wouldn't waste my time on one, it has a '58 Plymouth flathead Six" (I'm washing the truck now, hoping he'll just leave!)
    Him: "I'd put a small block Chevy in it..." (now, I'm pointing the wash wand at HIM! He got the hint...)

11. TerrorSwain

TerrorSwain

I gotta admit I had a dumbass moment the other day. As I was informed and completely amazed that cadillac made a flathead v8.....i honestly felt kinda dumb for not knowing that....

12. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

No kidding. I just fire back that this is the finest form of recycling. Try and tell me the process of making your hibrid is not bad for the planet.

13. Arominus

Arominus

Depends on the driver :D Im 31, my first car was a 57 dodge with points and a carter 2bbl. Now i daily an 87 porsche (i do all the work on it too). So all of you old guys whining about the youth that can't deal with points, manuals and carbs can suck it. I can fix it all! bwahahaha

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

This is actually about two guys who drove old cars...............
    I came out of a store to find two elderly guys checking my 37 Chevy truck.I laid back to hear what they were saying,they knew about old trucks it seemed. As they were getting ready to walk away,one guy rapped on the rear fender with his knuckles, " Yup,they don't make steel like this any more" I didn't have the heart to tell him the fenders were fiberglass :D

15. Parked at the Marriott to reg for the Nats South two weeks ago and come out to find a herd of "Street Rodders" leaning all over my '55 F-100 as they admired thy admired the sweet '55 Ford parked beside me. Granted, she ain't no show piece but Damn! My nephew and I just eased up to the back of my truck and I told him in a loud voice, "It's okay, we'll just follow them to their cars in a minute and lay down on them." Red faces and a weak apology didn't really do anything to improve my opinion of a bunch of guys who should have known better.

16. Not cheesy at all... same here. I like going slow... more people see you that way :D Most people over here can only think of about 3 things to say
    usually... Is it bad on fuel? Can you get parts and Is it a V8? beyond that they're stumped... or start speaking before putting their brain in gear
    I had the great satisfaction recently of retorting to some flabby old fart in his brand new Range Rover (yawn) at the petrol station, that actually my Chevy was better on fuel than his 'chelsea tractor', had served the average lifetime of 3 or 4 other cars and would still be going when his was in landfill or recycled coke cans scattered accross the globe... kinda pooped his party :p

17. modeleh

modeleh

In my best Nelson Muntz voice, "Ha Ha"

18. Vetteman61

Vetteman61
    from Tennessee

That's funny, I just found that out last week myself when I saw one in a shop and went and checked it out. Never had any idea, and I'm a Cadillac guy (although only back to the late 50s)

19. DrJ

DrJ

I get the "Does it pass smog?"
    (1940 GMC)
    I reply with "It passes all the smog laws it is required to pass." and just leave it at that.

20. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

This makes me a jerk. My better half can't drive stick. So my dd and my 'rod are 5 and 4 speeds (respectively).

On Topic: I actually like the look on folks faces:

They: "What kind of motor is that?"
    Me: "350 Impala block, 327 Corvette heads, 302 Camaro Intake"
    They: "WHAT? How did you make it all fit together like that?

21. Rosscoe 54

Rosscoe 54
    from Denver, CO

I own a 1959 volkswagen ragtop with a 2332cc VW engine in it. I always get the "Does that thing have a Porsche engine in it?" question. I usually just say "NOPE!" and do a big smokey burnout! Or at the gas station, when I'm putting in premium fuel, I get a lot of "You put premium in that?" Yeah, I do... Or the, "I had one of those in high school!" You probably had a mullet too, jackass. Oh well. Glad I'm not alone.

22. BOHICA

BOHICA

Funny, speaking for myself and most of the guys I know, we find it extremely attractive when a girl can drive a stick.

I know, right?

23. Zykotec

Zykotec

People arguing with me that my 27 year old Ford is an old car... I try to cinvince them it's a bit too 'modern' for me...
    I can't wait to get a 'proper' car :)

24. My wife can drive a stick, can drive everything from a Mini to a semi, and knows how to properly back up a vehicle with a trailer attached. When we lived in Germany about 20 years ago, we had our full-sized Dodge pickup there with us. The locals were always amazed that such a petite woman was driving such a "huge" vehicle (no bigger than a 7-series BMW!), and even more so that she was able to get it in their smaller parking spots.

And, no way am I ever going to trade her in!

25. Wow! alot of pissed off people here! My answer to most negative questions about my hobby always seems to relate to Golf : Chasing a little white ball ,while trying to minimize the number of whacks at said ball and then lying about it (dont forget the cool polyester clothing) I don`t get that hobby, I guess theres alot of golfers that don`t get mine. Each to his own.

26. outlawsteel

outlawsteel

This doesnt bug me as much as it makes me laugh at how ignorant people are.
    1. Every old car is fast
    2. That im killing the enviroment
    3. That they are unsafe
    Then of coarse the usual stories about my dad or whoever used to have one just like it but it was a four door and a differant year and differant color but it was just like it lol.

27. staynedglass

staynedglass
    from monroe ga

I'm there with ya brother. I had a 1641cc in my volksrod. I always got the my uncles brothers cousins second girlfriend had one just like this. Hey does that have a porsche engine. you should put one in it. blah blah blah.

I don't usually mind people talking to me about any of my cars at the gas station or wherever. It does bother me when they don't get the hint that i've got to go. I usually try not to be a dick(difficult) because even if they are uniformed they show interest.

They one thing that torques me off is other car guys thinking that my four door is shit.(it is. but not because of the "extra" doors) just because it has for doors. I happen to like four doors.

28. One of the things I love about my wife - she can throw shifts like Ronny Sox and drives like she means it!

29. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

As a Fairlane owner the most common misconception I encounter is from folks who tell me how much they really like my Falcon.

The next most common misconception is that I bought the car new. The car is a 1964. I wasn't born until 1969. To have purchased the car new I would have had to have been at least seventeen in 1964 which means I would have been born in 1947 which would mean I would be sixty-four today. Really? I'm no spring chicken but I can't believe I can pass for two decades older than what I am.

30. sun down

sun down
    from tx

guy I use to work with asked why I enjoy driving old vehicles,
    bet you could afford a new one...........told him if he gave me the money to buy a new car I would still buy an old one with it.....this was a few yrs ago,
    I still fill the same way...I will be70 in a couple of weeks and I dont plan on changing................just drive em..

I too have dealt with the slamming doors, how fast will it go,
    how come you like the old drum brakes, and the list goes on and on..