Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Miniature 440 Chrysler

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haychrishay, Feb 12, 2015.

1. haychrishay

haychrishay

This is a minature 440 Chrysler that my Uncle Jim did some valve train work on. the story he told me is that the block was a paper weight for Chrysler and Dodge dealers. A friend of his got hold of the block and machined the internals, the heads and the intake but was having trouble with the valve train . My Uncle Jim helped him figure it out. Uncle Jim was extremely talaented and had macined and built several of the scale hit and miss motors. 013.JPG 013.JPG 015.JPG 017.JPG One day he fired it up for me...sounded like a dragster! Well my Uncle Jim ended up with the engine and he has since passed away so we were looking at some of these today and I thought you guys would get a kick out of seeing it. Sorry I dont have any video of it running. So here is my question do any of you mopar guys know when the first 440 was made? does the story of the paper weight ring a bell with anyone? I forgot to actually measure it but its around 5-6" long. to give you an idea

Attached Files:

• 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      135.3 KB
      Views:
  2. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

Don't know anything about it but its cool.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Doesn't resemble any Chrysler engine, looks to me like a one-off made by a talented machinist to his own designs.

First Chrysler 440 was made in 1966, based on the RB engine that started as a 413 in 1959.

4. gas & guns

gas & guns

Looks like a ford firing order.
    Cool engine, somebody put a lot of time in it.

5. I agree with Rusty. It doesn't look like any 440 I have ever seen, but it's cool. O.k.....the distributor IS in the front and I DO see some turquoise paint on part of it....

6. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Chrysler color, How bout a peek of the valvetrain?

7. haychrishay

haychrishay

Thanks for the response guys, unfortunately I dont have acces to it for awhile, he does want to sell it and Im trying to figure out what I can sell to buy it. He want $1500 dont know if that resonable or not. I will attatch some pics of an earlt Conley motor and the valve train. 008.JPG 008.JPG 007.JPG 007.JPG

8. 35desoto

35desoto

The first 440's were cast in 1965 and released in the 1966 Chrysler models. So yes you could get a 440 from 1966 onwards but many were cast in 1965 and of course the model year ran from Oct 1965 to August/September 1966. I rebuilt one of these 1965 cast ones when in the engine rebuild business and fitted to a 1963 Dodge 330 sedan - good update

9. The model actually has the same firing order as the 440... its just that that person numbered the cylinders like Ford...

Other 440 characteristics are the deep-skirt block, the externally mounted oil pump, and the distributor up front - where it belongs :)

In 1966 cars, the 440 was available only in the big cars (New Yorker/Imperial). In 1967 they improved the power output for the HP version to 375HP for the intermediate bodied cars (Coronet R/T & GTX) with a better cam, intake and exhaust manifolds. The 1967 big cars still got a 350 HP version.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool "small block", I mean big block or?

11. haychrishay

haychrishay

There are two different motors pictured there. The grey colored motor is an early Conley ( Stinger 609) and to me looks like a small Block Chevy, the other one as mentioned is supposed to be a 440 Chrysler or big Block

12. haychrishay

haychrishay

Well.... I broke down and bought the mini 440 today, so I guess the Stroker flathead for the 40 is going to be put on the back burner for a bit. As requested I took some pics of the valvetrain today. I should have a video of it running soon. I need to investigate the electrical system. I think I need a 12v coil and a small 12v battery. The Spark plugs are mini NGK's used in model airplanes. Im going to try and get out to the local Hobby store and talk to them to see if the distributor is something used by them and figure out if I need 12v straight or resistor. 001 (2).JPG