Register now to get rid of these ads!

Miller Welder Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drgnwgn289, Oct 21, 2004.

1. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

A friend of a friend is selling his Miller 235 MIG welder and I was concidering buying it. I have yet to actually see it, but he said it works well. The heat selector is broken, but he has a brand new one. The welder is about 10 years old, but he only wants $500...and I'm pretty sure I could get it for $350 or $400.
    So, my question is, does this sound like a good deal? I've welded with my friend's Miller 200, 210 or something like that and loved it. I know he paid a ton for that one, but I don't have any idea about how welders depreciate, or any basis of comparison. Is there anything on these machines that wears out that is irreplacable? I don't mind doing a little work on it, as long as the parts are available and not too pricey.
    Thanks
    Jake

2. Sounds good for about $400. The torch assembly is the pricey part.Check it well.

3. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

I've pretty much planned on needing to replace the gun and the whole sleeve thingy...maybe not right away, but that's usually the part the wears out first...right?

4. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like a pretty good buy to me........

5. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

If there is a welding supply company near you, I'd chech to see if they had a used remanufactured one and how much they want for it. The dealer I deal with sells used machines that they go through for around $500 and they have some warrenty. My concern is how the range knob got broken on your friends welder?

I just replaced the whip on my 10 year old Miller a few months ago, it cost me something like $160 and that was complete. Replacement drive rollers run about $60 a set and probably would be the next part most likely to wear out. If they were taken care of, they are good machines. The whip is the only part (except tips & linners) that I've replaced on my welder. Any part you would need for that Miller is still available, the transformer is the expensive part. Gene

6. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Sounds like a deal to me. I'd buy it.

7. a man check out this welding forum for welding sutff thers some good people and info on here. welding forum

8. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Around here, blue welders don't depreciate very much. They seem to never go below 50 percent of new price no matter how old or worn they are.

9. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

remember to call dude!
    his family sells millers and keeps a lot of parts in stock. he can tell you about that model too.

10. Try and get regulator and tank with it too, that will save
    a couple hundred dollars.
    TZ

11. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

It doesn't come with a tank, but does include a regulator. I can just use the propane tank from my bbq...right? just kidding, I know where I can get a tank super cheap.

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That thing would be $700 or $800 around here. It's a great welder and the parts really aren't that bad for it. I think the one I sold reece is a 235....

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You may not need the whole gun assembly. You can get a new liner at a good welding supply cheap. As long as the trigger is working well. I have 2 older ones and they have been bullet proof.