Register now to get rid of these ads!

MII IFS question I have never seen covered

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by praisethelowered, Feb 13, 2010.

1. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

First- can someone confirm what is the range of motion for an airbag MII IFS set up?. . . full-down to ideal ride height then to full-up.

It appears that the range of motion on MII IFS is pretty short. Something like 4" from full down to ideal ride height is all I have read.

So if you set up a MII with airbags so that it lays frame in full down position then driving position is 4" up. . .which may work for fairgrounds but is pretty low if you want to drive without diagonalling all curb cuts and stressing on every bump . . .which seems to be the whole point of airbags.

What am I not understanding here?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

3. stews52chevy

stews52chevy
    from BC Canada

Good question. This is a bit of info that I can find ! ! !

4. rokcrln

rokcrln

I am getting about 7" from down to full up on MII's I have done. Here is a pic of 41 chevy with a TCI MII set up w/bags.

So on this truck down is 2" off the ground with the frame, drive is 3.5" up or 5 1/2" of clearance and up it 8-9" of clearance.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

Down, drive and up.

Attached Files:

5. My air system is one of the more basic set-ups but using this system gives me a 4" drop from ride height. It just about lays the crossmember on the deck.
    I can also raise the suspension an extra 2" above ride height to cope with the dreaded speed humps.
    At ride height this gives me 4" clearance at the front crossmember with the option of going up. This then give 6+" at the crossmember.
    I haven't driven it yet but don't anticipate too many problems! (I hope!)

[​IMG]

6. farmer12

farmer12

Installing(working out) the m2 set up with bags at the moment. Initially I wanted to be able to lay the car flat on the ground, but soon found out that my ride height would only be a maximum of 4 inches. This is too low for me with all the speed humps we have here in the area. So now I'm using the ride height as a starting point (6 inch clearance from frame to ground). Unfortunately this will still give me a 2 inch clearance when I drop the car to the ground. Then again, I'll be driving more than sitting still in the fairground.

7. farmer12

farmer12

Depends also on which bags you use. I'm using shockwaves which have less travel than the normal bag set up, therefore limiting travel. Good luck.