Register now to get rid of these ads!

Might sound stupid, but.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50dodge4x4, Mar 25, 2008.

1. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

One of my customers has an 88 Chevy 4x4 with a efi 350. The frame broke and I'm swapping parts from the "old" truck onto the "new" truck and when I'm done it will go to the scrap.

The truck has 186,000 miles but the 350 ran pretty well. I'm not a Chevy guy, so would it be worth my time to pull the 350 or do I send it to the scrap yard? What is it worth when I try to sell the dumb thing, if I pull it? Is the 4x4 auto overdrive worth pulling? He was plowing snow when the frame broke. After I get the things he wants I can have whatever I want to pull off. If it was a Dodge, I'd know what to do. Gene

2. Crease

Crease

I love small blocks, but you can get a brand new short block for about $400-$500 in SA. What you cant easily get is all the accessories. If you need a core, or know someone who does, snag it. I think a core charge is about $175 at the same place? No clue how these folks stay in business.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a joke, right?
    the running efi engine should be worth somewhere between 300 and 600 bucks, at least that is what they go for around here. trans and transfer have to be worth 2/300 maybe more depending on the transfer. I'd say a bit on the low side because it pushed a snow plow. craigslist 250.00 and It probably won't last the day.
    The front end and rear end have to be worth at least a hundred each maybe more if it is a 3/4 ton.
    If you can't put it on craigslist on a parting out add and clear a thousand you aren't trying hard enough.

4. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Mr48chevy,
    The man's in FREEPORT Illinois,,, the rust belt of america. Those guys are up to their ass-cracks in good running motors and trannies pulled from rust buckets with cracked frames... Ask me how I know. :D

5. Squablow

Squablow

Motors are more common around the Ill/Wisconsin area, but a good running small block is still $300 to any stock car racer and well worth pulling out. Those transmissions used to be in demand, as were the axles, but those trucks have all seemed to vanish in the last few years so I don't know if that stuff is worth saving or not.

6. restin&rustin

restin&rustin
    from illinois

how do you know pir8???

7. Why not weld and reinforce the frame ?

8. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I got a 57 Chevy I bought out of Gary Indiana that, if you get down on your hands and knees, and look at [thru] the drivers door, you can see the brake pedal.

If you drive it, you get a great view of the road under your feet!!!

If you drive thru a mud puddle, you need windshield wipers on the inside! Not to mension the brown shower you also get :D [again, ask me how I know :rolleyes:]

But it's only a parts car...

9. tdoty

tdoty

Pir8Darryl is kinda on to something..............though I haven't seen a decent priced small block (except the stuff I've been selling) for a while. Everybody thinks they're made out of gold. Local junkyard sells 'em for $100 - you pull it, no guarantees.

Yeah, $300+ for the engine, $1-200 for the tranny, $150 for the transfer case, $100 each for the axles. Keep all the wiring and electronics for the engine and you'll be ahead of the game. As someone else said, the accessories can be kinda hard to come by.

Tim D.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's one of the things we run into here. There is a vast difference in the prices on some things from one area of the country to the other. In this area that engine would probably bring 500 if the buyer could hear it run and the trans and transfer would bring a fair price. Sell it for say 300 as a complete rebuilder, put rebuilder engine on the bill of sale and charge to pull it.
    I am always amazed when I see the asking price for Chev/ GMC 48/72 sheet metal in that area. Probably tripple what it would go for here and a lot would be considered too far gone to fool with in this area.

11. Crease

Crease

Good point on the stock car crowd. I just typically dont like to spend 8 hours installing a 200K mile motor, when I can have a fresh one for $500.

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Um, any FREE running V8 is worth it. Put it aside and use it for either a future cheap project, swap it for something you need or give it to a local kid you like that may have a future in Hot Rodding. Hell, help him pull it apart and put it together so he learns something!

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

its free? hell thats a no brainer!
    if you were any closer you would be tripping over me to get it out of that truck before i had it loaded up in the back of my truck.

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or, you could put it in the back of his 'new' truck and call it the
    'Bustle Bomb'

16. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Well guys, its going to the yard with the truck! This heap-o-shit is laying on my driveway, in two pieces. That truck has spent the last 8 years plowing snow in the winter and hauling lawn mower trimmings through the summer. All the cross members were shot, the cab has the famus see through floors and non-existant body mounts. The frame broke behind the cab and the rest is paper thin. I opened the hood and looked at it today, its going to suck to pull it. There is a plow bracket on the front that the bolts won't come off of. Before you jump me, the plow bracket has 3 bolts that go through 3/8" plate (on each side), through the frame and thread into the bumper brackets. Cutting the heads off the bolts won't do a thing for you and there is no acess to the back side of the bumper brackets. We are suppose to get rain/snow mix tomorrow so nothing will be done outside then. I am a one man shop and don't intend on hurting myself. I figure it will take me a couple hours with the tourch to get the motor out. At my shop, that translates to $100 plus to pull the thing. Once its out, I have no place to put it, other then under a tarp outside (on my driveway). After all that, I would still need to find someone with money that actually wanted it and that would have to happen in a short time.

Bottom line, I don't want the motor or trans, don't know anyone that does, have no place to put it, and time is short. Where the truck is sitting right now needs to be occupied by the next truck so I can put the things on it and get paid. House payment is due Monday. If you all want it, be here tomorrow and get it out of here (you can probably have the remains of the truck also). There are a bunch of good parts from the back of the cab forward. If I could put the truck in my yard for a couple weeks, I would probably pull the motor, but the yard is a soup hole, can't even walk in it without picking up 20lbs of mud on your shoes. Gene