Register now to get rid of these ads!

Midwest Guys---Poll?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Termites Ate my Chevy, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Steve M

Steve M

I'm always willing to pay as much as 10 percent more to a local shop compared to the catalogs. The local guy (or gal) that you are handing your money to is going to use that money to buy and stock the next speed part that you can't live without, give the money to the local drag strip for advertising space, or support a local car show. They will also be the people that offer to stay open a few minutes late so that you can pick up that much needed part that you have to have by the weekend. For items that have to be ordered in I've found it to be safer to order it myself, that way if there is a problem I have direct contact with the company.

2. Amen

3. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Local Shop for sure!

4. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

I'm from Lincoln, NE too. As a kid struggling like hell to bring a 50's hot rod '29 roadster back to the street, I remember being treated like shit by the counter jockeys at Speedway. After a summer of their shit, I never went back.

Fast forward twenty-five years. Now I can buy pretty much whatever I need anywhere it is for sale.

I support the guys here that can get me parts for close to catalog prices. Many car repair shops have a hot rod nut or two and those guys can source more parts, frequently cheaper and better than catalog sources.

Get behind the counter and get to know them. When you get a deal, return the favor with beers left on the counter on Friday, or a pizza or whatever. When you need a favor (for example, when you can't figure out a valve body part) they'll often take a minute and walk you through it.

Having said that, I do still buy parts from Speedway, Summit, and so on, after my local sources are tapped out. Summary: Spend your money locally every time you can, it supports them, they support you.

5. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

I dont want to get in a political discussion but minnesota is one of the top states for high taxes. its not tax evasion its tax avoidence. locally we have napa and autovalue and most of the time they dont have what I need for building the cars that I build. Im also lazy, it takes less time to go on line order the 5 things i need,hit check out and Im done 2 days later I have my parts. Summit Racing and Yogis have always treated me well and have good prices,the people I talk to are car people. they seem to know what they are talking about

6. I wish China would would just open up their own damn store and get it over with, already- -Betruger-

7. floored

floored

I buy what i can from the local shop, only problem is it's Jeg's. I can be to any of their 3 locations in 20 minutes, and if they don't have something in stock at the store they will have it the next morning. Great speedshop, but not much on true hotrod stuff. For the real stuff I support the ALLIANCE.

8. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Your supposed to buy NEW PARTS for your Hot Rod ? what a concept

9. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

This subject is important to me. For all the reasons everyone listed I will always support the local shop, rebuilder, painter, powdercoater, chrome guy, etc. We can't beat their price but we will beat their service, knowledge, and respect for the customer.

10. Small LOCAL shop if possible, keeping the money in the area.

11. blktie

blktie

Being that I am limited in my mechanical abilities, I depend on sponging off others, so small shops can offer advice and counseling. Someone who can provide me with some knowledge is far more valuable to me than price. I recently called Speedway because they have a top frame for my 32 Roadster and it's priced right compared to things like the "bop-top". Unfortunately, no one could explain hot the frame works, how its mounted or if it includes a pattern for a trim shop to complete the job. For someone like myself, that will probably keeep me from buying.

I believe it supporting the small business owner. I've been there and I know what it's like to get crushed by big corporations.

12. 68ragtop

68ragtop
    from Texas

Make mine the small speedshop.
    My old midwest Iowa speedshop started in the basement of his house. Then he opened a little place uptown not more the 500sq ft of area. You will never ever get the the brotherhood from ordering from a catalog.
    I remember going up there just to swap stories and parts and chew the fat about hotrods and what you have been trying to do to make them go faster..
    Make mine a small shop anytime or a alliance vendor.
    ragtop

13. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

Ya know, Summit is the local guy for me, and believe it or not the guy that owns it supposedly started out of the trunk of his car. I personally remember a store on North Main St. in the sixties about the size of a double car garage. I would love to support the small guy but some times it's tough.