Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Midwest Drags Related To All American Drags Illustrated?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuce666, Feb 18, 2020.

1. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

Hello --

I maintain a website of hot rod, custom and drag racing magazines with cover images and some history. I've been working to flesh out more detail on All American Drags Illustrated. I've only found images for 1966 and 1967, and 1966 starts numbering with Volume 2. Therefore, issues from 1965 must exist in this or another name.

As background, the publisher was Lloyd Derrer, the editor was John Lutzo, and Ed Rachanski was an associate editor (note: Ed's Marauder racer is on the June '66 cover).

Anyway, from previous postings on the HAMB I can see that the magazine covered all the major sanctioning bodies. I haven't found any issues from 1965, and although they are RARE it got me to wonder if the magazine started under a different name in 1965. Under this scenario, I'd be looking for a small magazine, published in or near Chicago, and covering a single sanctioning body and/or a small geographic area. Midwest Drags came to mind, but I know very little about this title.

Other than what has been previously posted, does anyone have any knowledge of the history of All American Drags, Midwest Drags, Lloyd Derrer or John Lutzo? Are there any other drag racing focused magazines published in the early to mid 1960s in the Midwest that would meet my criteria?

As always, I greatly appreciate the knowledge and wisdom of HAMB members!!!

Richard

Attached Files:

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  2. What’s your website....sounds like something I could spend hours looking at. I may also have something you don’t in my collection

loudbang likes this.
  3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

4. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

loudbang, town sedan and Max Gearhead like this.
  5. Very cool.....love your site...looked at it many times

loudbang likes this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow

loudbang likes this.
  7. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

Glad you guys like the site!!

And now back to our regular programming!!

Does anyone know of other mid 1960s drag racing publications printed in Chicago and focused on mid west racing? And, if you’ve got a copy of Midwest Drags could you shoot me a copy of the masthead or table of contents page?

Thanks much!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  8. I’ve got something coming your way...I’ve got September 67 All American Drags in my collection and may have more..I’ll dig through my drag racing tubs this weekend

well I see ya have that one...darn it

loudbang likes this.
  9. Wow...you win.....if you have all of those magazines you’re my idol...I love magazines....wife hates it..but I have my own room filled with tubs of em...gets me thorough these cold Midwest Winters...thanks for your efforts with the site..it’s amazing..

loudbang likes this.
  10. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

Love of tiki —
    To be honest, I do have a lot but nothing close to everything on the site. Storage is the issue. That’s why I buy complete collections OR seek images of the covers and table of contents. Tracing the history of the old titles, especially the rare ones with low print volumes, is fun.

Anything on Midwest drag racing would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.