Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mfg of special parts ..looking for projects

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dad, Aug 3, 2008.

1. budd

budd

fins cut from 3/16" stainless that you tack onto sbc valve covers to make them look like fined covers, and maybe rearend covers as well.

2. Big Dad

Big Dad

Thats we can do I'd say .. any idea of what year SBC we would need to target so they actually will work ?

The rear end cover , I think has been done though :confused:

3. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

I'm in the process of trying to match up a T5 transmission to a Pontiac 239 inline 6. Haven't found any kind of adaptor on the net for that yet. Currently working on the drawing for it in SolidWorks - will forward your way and get you to give me a price.

4. budd

budd

there are a few years that could work, and other makes like ford and dodge, old sbc cover that have no openings would be easy, i have a set that uses the push in oil cap and one pcv opening, then the new two bolt covers as well, and you can say its all in the name of better performance by helping to cool your oil..lol. i have also thought of making a set of fins for on a stock flathead heads, like a grill work that uses the head bolts to hold it down, i bet it would help to cool as well.

5. 5 X 5 1/2 early Ford pattern spyders

6. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

How about a spark plug wire look that looks nice for a late model SBC with the center bolt valve covers? Even a special type cover to wrangle them - similar to the wire covers on some of the old Hemi's.

7. Big Dad

Big Dad

cool, scored a couple little jobs today , got to make a big ice chest thing for a company and

3 powder coat jobs !!

8. Weasel

Weasel

I was not intending to derail your thread BD, but as some have expressed interest, here are pix of the Willys windshield latch assembly. They sell for $250.:eek:

Attached Files:

9. Big Dad

Big Dad

250 seems fair to me, complicated piece looks like ?

10. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

How about conversion pulleys setups to convert blower drives from flat belts to multi V belts?

11. That is a lot of the problem.
    Too many people don't realize what is involved
    in making small volume parts for retail.

So they don't want to pay a fair price.
    The idea of "fair" value gets distorted.

Especially when imported crap is consistently
    being retailed for less than the cost of the materials.

12. rjgideon

rjgideon

Those slicks made me think of the ol' Harbor Freight English wheel set. You could turn out some different profiles for people that want to build their own E-wheels.

Another idea would be making different profiles of wheels for the HF bead roller. Like a tipping wheel or a nice deep step wheel to make 90* flanges over 1/4". Some places sell them like Mittler Bros., but the prices seem kind of steep for something that you could turn out multiples of on a lathe. Metalmeet is one site that has a ton of people that use these bead rollers.

13. toddc

toddc

Looks to me like you have the gear to make molds. Over here rubber grommets are hard to find ( especially bigger than 1" dia ) and expensive ~ $2 a piece. If I had a shop of my own, I'd do it.

How about (hamb unfriendly) billet door hinges for the oh-so-rich muscle car guys?

14. Here's an idea. It would be nice to get a curved, tubular 37 Ford style axle that is made for a vintage sprinter.

They are hard to find and afford. Also, a new one that is chromable would be a plus. especially if it was setup to run hairpins.

15. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I think what you would be looking for there is a "plug wire loom" like on the 303 Olds and 331 Caddy, it's just a piece of stamped steel, not to hard. Oh and my 320 Str 8 buick has a plug wire cover on the side too, lot's of old engines had them...

On the clamp on fin deal for flatheads, I think some one beat you to it....I know they have them for I believe Mopar Flat sixes.

16. Big Dad

Big Dad

If its something that is made already , and the thought is its too high of a price , doubtful that one item we could beat the price, now if you ordered 1000 ..well. might be able to ..?

But, most likely the price they are charging you is "fair" ..
    not like you have constant need for some of these parts , for most its a one time purchase

Again , it does not have to be auto related ..but, prefered

17. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Here's a product that's apparently not out there judging by recent threads-

High strength internals for the long favored, and frequently broken 39 ford box.
    I bet there's guys that would drop new-overdrive-tranny coin for 39 ford internals that'll survive a hot nailhead.

18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

You can buy a set of new Lincoln Zephyr gears for a '39 box for about $700.

I recently paid $15 for a HAMB emblem bracket. The one Ryan offers has limited applications. Check out the Jalopy Journal goodies page and talk to Ryan.

19. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

New lincoln zephyr gears are not up to the task. I'm talking about a real upgrade.

20. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

lincoln zephyr gears are no different than ford gears, other than the tooth count. zephyr gears allow a higher speed in 2nd gear. Lots of guys ran them so they wouldn't have to shift to third in a race.

21. Big Dad

Big Dad

csn't cut gears

22. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

I've been trying to finish this up for a few weeks now,Like the old Tom Beaty Crager set ups, 3 V groove 6 & 9, as well as chain drive set ups, universal friendly for newer drive set ups. As well as the Howard fully enclosed 671, S.B.C chain drive cover unit. Good luck with the parts, those slicks look SiCk, quote=stude_trucks;3013568]How about conversion pulleys setups to convert blower drives from flat belts to multi V belts?[/quote]

23. Big Dad

Big Dad

[/quote]

can you post a picture ? I bet thats something we can make

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  24. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

can you do spider caps? 5x5 or 5x5.5? I see people looking for these all the time and as far as I know they are not available.

25. I bet you could sell a lot of phenolic carb spacers made for Rochester 2bbls like the ones used in tri-power setups. They sell gaskets, but it doesn't seem like anyone sells spacers anymore. Like maybe 3/8" or 1/2" thick spacers of linen-filled phenolic. They'd be good for blocking heat transfer from the intake to the carbs. I know phenolic is a bitch to work with though with toxic fumes, etc.

26. If you could sell something like a spider cap that would make those dual pattern wheels that have 10 holes in them look like they only have 5 holes in them, that would probably sell too.

27. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

How about a set of rear fenders for a '40 ford pickup without the spare tire dimple?

28. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

Bro you totally could, the pulleys are casted then machined,, wasnt really gonna market them, just needed some, pop these out by the hundy! you'd kill it!, nice thing the Idler bracket is a 5'8's thick slice of steel, and the spring is a harley kick start spring smaller one. If your set up with a C.N.C lathe then def you should look into it, chain drive gears you can buy, The front cover profitable, casted ~S

can you post a picture ? I bet thats something we can make[/quote]

29. Big Dad

Big Dad

can not stamp out steel parts

30. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

Lazer cut?? Water??