Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mexican 302 block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63FalconFutura, Sep 9, 2010.

1. On the subject of "High Nickle" nothing is harder than mid '60s Chrysler engines, more specificaly the 440s and 383s. I've wore out cutters boring those and they take forever to hone.

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Yes. Free Fiats also. with 4 and 5 speeds. Not the whole car. 1500 and 2000 engines.

3. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

5.0 HO engines did have forged pistons from '85 to '92, with '93 and later going to hypereutectic pistons.

As has been stated, "higher nickel content" this or that is a term bandied about often with Ford engines, and with other makes too I'm sure. There is almost never any truth to it.

-KK

4. Any British stuff?

5. As stated earlier HiPo 289's used regular 289 blocks but as the block casting was tested for hardness the ones that were higher hardness got a dab of orange paint on the area behind the belhousing to be selected for use as Hi Po's. I think this is were the "higher nickel" stories get started. They may have had higher nickel but it was probably happenstance during the casting process.

6. nzboss

nzboss

I'm not sure what to make of Mexican blocks.
    Aside from the main caps, an engine builder I trust does'nt rate them at all.
    He seemed to think the cast iron was of poor quality.
    Pull the caps, and put them on a '68 or '69 302 block was his advice.
    An A4 or a R302 is definitely the pick block.

Rodney

7. Woody at FordStrokers.com is one of the guys that setup SBFTech.com and has built a ton of the Mexican 302's . . . he definitely thinks they're better than a 302 roller block. He builds a ton of stroker Fords for a living -- and his reputation is outstanding in the SBF world.

A couple months back he was willing to trade a completely bored, honed, decked, etc late 302 roller for a 302 Mexican core at STD bore. I'm not saying they're as strong as a 4-bolt Boss block, but for $200 - 400 or so, they're a lot better than the late non-Boss, 2-bolt main production blocks.

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Nope. Fords and Fiats. One Studebaker OHV 170 inch six with 3 speed. Some T10 parts. Free. You haul.

9. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

bump for interest

10. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

11. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

SBF and Mexico.............. your not saying this is the best to offer??

12. 3Kidsnotime

3Kidsnotime
    from Utah

I just rethought this never say never, But I would like to know if anyone has a bare block weight on a mexico block versus say a 60's 302 block might be a intersting start for thought.

13. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have used and built a lot of SBF over the years . Most any 302 block before 1971 are better that the ones that were made after 1972 . I also love the 289 because of the high compression heads . You can do an awful lot to these little engines and they make a ton of torque too . Now if you are going to use stock heads , find the ones before 1972 and the early 289 heads . Those were much better to work with I knew about the Mexican blocks and some guys want them for using nitrous , turbos and blowers due to them being thicker than the common 302 . Really unless you are using any power adders , any 302 block will serve you very well . I have rebuilt a lot of the standard blocks and haven't had any problems at all . I have also used nitrous and haven't had a block let loose yet . So if you have a Mexican block , then good for you . I wouldn't pay anymore for a Mexican block either . It's just another block to me .
    just my opinion .

Retro Jim

14. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Picture of the front of the block. The two humps are the quickest way to ID them.

Attached Files:

15. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

You know what they say....If its not made in the USA, its pretty gay.

16. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

I love you crawford

17. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Cole I know we are buddies and all but.....

18. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

19. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Hahaha. So I dont think I'll be comin down to bother you guys in auto shop tomorrow. Im gettin new wheels this weekend because I stumbled across a job so I dont need these old ones mounted up anymore. I can maybe come down if you guys wanna wash my car or somethin. I can sit around and supervise while you guys work....

20. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

A little off topic, but which block would the '90 302 Lincoln have got? It was a one year deal, I was wondering since it was Fords top of the line offering, they didn't go to the modular until after 90, still an old pushrod girl

21. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

i would think a 5.0 motor out of a mustang

22. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

i was just wondering because there was also a 302 truck engine and this car weighs a ton, i thought it might have been a heavier duty block