Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mexican 302 block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63FalconFutura, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Deuces

Deuces

Does the block have screw in freeze plugs on the sides?? If so, it could be a Hi-Po block....

2. HiPo blocks didn't have screw in freeze plugs, Boss 302's did.

The only difference between a HiPo and a regular 289 block is the thick main caps. HiPo blocks even share the same casting number as the 2V

3. Deuces

Deuces

I can tell by looking at the picture... That block has alot of nickel content.... I can tell by the way the metal shines....

4. Just looks like a regular block except for the fat caps.

5. Can't say I've had that experience.....I run a mains cap girdle on my roller block and it's using a stock pan without any modification.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  6. Deuces

Deuces

I got 2 roller blocks in my garage.. I might build a tunnel ram motor wth the '91 bock..

7. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

I also heard years ago like davidwilson said, they're made thicker because of
    junk metal in them.

8. RAY With

RAY With

Don no clue what you guys race out there but if you cant make 800+ on a 302 based motor you wont make it in the hunt in Texas. This is one 302 base motor stroked to 369 with all the nice extras and started at 845 hp and was able to get it to 860 with this combination. Dyno sheets always go to the customer and I really dont have any need to prove any thing since this is common knowledge within motor builders circle. This motor is still in service with a new owner and runs 488-490's in a 2800 lb mustang so you can do the math. I am amazed in this day and time you would doubt the capabilitys available with SBF's since there are thousands out there.The nos motors are getting fewer since turbo knowledge is available and considerable more power available.

Attached Files:

Spooky likes this.
  9. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

They do have higher nickle. I saw one of thse blocks on a Ford site a few years ago for $1200.00 Not sure if it sold though. I had one and traded it for a completely rebuilt 351 Windsor.

10. Well I don't need $1200 but I'll trade the block I have for some good Y-Block parts. ;)

11. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

LMAO:eek::D

12. Deuces

Deuces

I laughed my ass off when I first read that one..... :D

13. Deuces

Deuces

Your right! I got those two mixed up! DOH!

14. Deuces

Deuces

Now that's the kind of place I'd love to work at... I'd be in heaven! :D

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but if anybody around here wants a first year 302 block when they were thin wall not really thin wall and of some other core 302-289 engines free for nothing pm me and I'll give you directions.

16. Deuces

Deuces

I pulled a 5.0L roller motor out of my '91 Fox car and insalled a FMS B-58 '95 Windsor Lightning short block. I honed the bores out too 4.001" to get that last ci out of it to turn it into a 352 cubic inch motor. I bolted on a set of Trick-Flow TW aluminum heads on and installed the FMS X-303 roller cam in it. I think it's a .542/288 cam with 1.72 roller rockers... Actual lift is .583" at the roller tip on both the intake and exhaust. I'm still running the stock T-5 trans behind this motor with 3:55 gears out back.... :D

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

PS the above free 302 offer. 351 of the W C and M versions also available and a 260. Mostly all apart and scattered around but not outside.

18. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

So a Yates headed dual Dominator 369 stroker monster, probably based on a Dart block that you can go up to .125 over and containing no factory 302 parts other than the cam thrust plate and maybe the timing cover is now a "302 based motor"? I suppose in the same way that a top fuel Keith Black engine is a "426 based" motor.

Let's see 800 NA on a stock block with Windsor style heads and a single carb. Hell, I'll even give you the Dart. You know, something that still looks like a 302.

-KK

19. Come on now, that motor in the picture is NOT a Small Block Ford in the truest sense and you know it. We were talking about Ford Block based motors. First, you can't get 369" out of a Ford based block - A Dart, World or the new BOSS 302 block you can take to the 4.155 bore to get there, but not a Ford Production block. That motor also doesn't have Windsor heads and I don't think anyone has gotten much over 700 with Windsor based heads. Your example was really a bit of apples and oranges to the discussion. :D
    4.88's in the 1/8th in a 2800 lb car takes about 1250HP and with all that Nitrous, i sure hope you can get there.

20. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I believe you will that almost grey iron foundries depend on "recycled" metal. During my years in Chevrolet Stamping plants, the primary customer for the many tons of offal (trimmings from stampimg doors, hoods, pickup boxes and the like) was Central Foundry Divsion which was the main supplier of engine blocks, cylinder heads, etc.

21. RAY With

RAY With

Dont want to bust your bubble but it is a Ford M-6010 a-4 block right from ford motor sports. Where you been ? Heads=SVO aluminum hi ports part #M-6049-C3L and its is a small block Ford- A ford produced Block-Not dart and yes we have been getting 369 inches out of this combination over 12 years-And the post was not for any example but rather show what out there is your serious.

22. What bore and stroke gives 369 with a 302 block? Ray, you're claiming some big numbers here (HP and CID) and I would like to hear more.

23. Well the A4 block is not a production block now is it? It's a Ford Racing part, have built a few of them. And the C3L heads are the Yates heads that are nothing like Windsor heads, except that they bolt to a Windsor block (can be used on a Cleveland too) - they take shaft rockers and special manifolds, even a different exhaust port configuration. If they really are Hi Port then they are C3H, not C3L. Again the point is we were taking about standard production blocks and pieces not full blown race motors based on aftermarket (even if they come from Ford) parts.

Spyder - it is a 3.40 Stroke 4.155 Bore, and no factory production block will take that bore!

24. I just bought a Mexican 302 block - for a NASA road race stroker motor we're building next winter. They do have heavier main caps (just like the HiPo ones shown in the picture and are a bit beefier in the mains.) From everything I've heard and read on SBFTech (probably the best SBF Ford site), they do not have more nickle than other blocks. The old "more nickle" story seems to get thrown around by just about everybody . . . all the way down to the Flathead 59L or 59Z blocks . . . seems to always be a myth.

The reason I bought it is that it is quite a bit stronger than a later 302 roller block - should be able to handle 400 - 450 HP better than a 302 roller block can. If I was putting out much more HP than this, then I'd probably go to a new 302 Boss block, Dart, World Products, etc.. We're just trying to save $1500 - 2500 and run "on the cheap" for now.

In our class we're limited to 325 or so RWHP (by the weight of our Fox Body Mustang), so we can't push it too far or we'll be adding weight - no sense in that. We'll make the necessary HP with this years 306 roller - just doesn't have as flat of a torque curve as a 331 or 347 stroker.

If anybody wants pictures - have both a a 302 roller on the stand and a 302 Mexican block on the floor . . . not much you can tell except by looking at the main caps.

Hope this helps . . .

Dale

25. I love this thread!

26. RAY With

RAY With

I must have misunderstood the post. Question was ask how much HP on a stock block and then went to a mexican casting and discussed the Boss 302 block. I only added the A- block for a comparison for HP and durability. A- blocks are well considered Production by all governing bodys and can be purchased from any Ford dealership across the counter.
    My typo on the head number Sorry C3h is correct however the numbers you gave spyder are incorrect.Bore on my SBF combination is 4.125X3.450 and I squeezes in .2 of a cube--it will figure 368.8 and I for many years just refer to it as a 369. I guess my bad huh? I will call all of my old customers and tell them I lied and cheated them out of .2 a cube.

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

HEY---Free 302 blocks. Come and get them. I'M waiting.

28. You trying to clean house Rich? :rolleyes:

29. I've really enjoyed this thread, a lot of good information on a very interesting subject. I have a question for the windsor experts. Years ago I came across an article in Car Craft. I think the article was from the late 1990's and was titled something like build your first engine for under $1,000.00. The subject of the article was a production roller motor from a 5.0. There were two claims made in this article that I always wondered if they were true. The author claimed all 5.0 HO motors had forged pistons from the factory, and that roller blocks had a higher nickle content as compared to those that came before. With all the discussion on the nickle myth as fact or fiction I just wanted to throw this out and see if anyone had any insight. Any truth to these claims?

30. johnnie

johnnie
    from indiana

Higher anything in most modern production Ford gas engine blocks is B.S. A boring machine can tell ya that. I used to bore diesel blocks at a large re-builder plant. Did some gas blocks too. GM gas blocks are "softer" than Ford and neither compare to a diesel from any manufacturer.