Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Metric

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terry k, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Sheet goods metal wood etc still go my imperial standards

paint is sold in quarts and gallons

a 2z4 is well ..... a 2x4 !

4x8 plywood

steel is in 16 gauge 18 etc

All machine shops work in imperial and convert from metric blue prints etc.

most everything I do at work is all in imperial I find thousandths easier then whatever the heck metric uses.

like I said most bastardized measuring in the world up here .

the generation just before me ( folks born in the mid 70’s talk in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius

gas is talked about and measured in lires so is milk , but most anything else is pints quarts and gallons

just silly but I can switch between the two fairly easy.

2. They were Raybestos cylinders... made in China.

Guess I was kind of lucky; spent 30+ years working in an industrial plant that used a lot of French (metric) equipment and then after a career change I spent 14 years working on aircraft that had both inch and BS fasteners so I've never had too much trouble dealing with the different standards. Still have a set of BS and Whitworth tools in the box...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One way to tell if you have a Ford AOD trans is the word "Metric" embossed on the pan. And let's not start with 2x4's because they haven't been such for how long? Or as long as we're OT how about a sheet of 3/4" plywood? Not 3/4"anymore, now 23/32" which is 18.256 mm - getting back to metric.

4. hudson48

hudson48

So you have had "metric" in your currency forever and now dealing with metric in measurement is a problem. Makes it easier to calculate with divisions in 10/100/1000

5. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All of the cabinet makers that I know use the metric system. Partly because of the influence of European design and also because its easier to divide 5 mm in half than say 7/16's. Or least that's what they tell me. Just wish the newer automotive stuff would either be all metric or all standard. A real PITA when half is metric and the other half SAE or USS.

Fortunateson likes this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Excellent review lesson. Well done! A+

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

.??? I think you may be blaming the metric system for what your calculator is doing. Fractional versus decimal. Time to get out a piece of paper and a pencil and start doing the conversion the old way...LOL

8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I agree but didn't want to be the first to say it! LOL

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Or 0.1, 0.01, 0.001, etc.

Jessie J. likes this.
  10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Any liquid measurement I've seen is in metric/litres... paint, solvent, etc.

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Wow, 5, now 6, replies in a row! Maybe we can "convert" temps into Kelvin now just for a little more fun!

pitman likes this.
  12. goldmountain

goldmountain

I went back to work today and was flipping through the latest issue of Canadian Hot Rods that has a good looking '40 Ford Tudor on the cover. Looked at the featured article and noticed that the car had one of those new Classic Instruments gauge clusters - the speedometer was METRIC!

13. Garpo

Garpo

I try very hard to stay with the correct threaded fasteners as per O/E on each of my projects, but there are always some "odd" ones that are hard to avoid. I am lucky enough to have a couple of toys that have the old JIS standard stuff; that causes a real headache in some sizes.
    It's nice to be able to work on something with just a few tools, rather than the whole tool box.
    Who remembers those abominable Triumphs of the '70s that came with just about every thread available.

Spoggie likes this.
  14. I was 11 years old in school when they bought in metric in '73 in Oz.

I've always preferred Imperial.

15. AULIZ

AULIZ

I have used all of my life UCF, UNF, Metric bolts. I can see all thread easily without any measurement.....

I wonder why american has use metric bearings last 100years (catepillar, tractors, roots 2stroke diesel pumps (6-71...), trannys (muncie, old ford 30s, 40s,...) Why they are not use metric? Same in industry. NTN, FAG, SKF, FYH, ASAHI, INA, SNR are sell very much metric bearings to USA. American hates metric systems, but still they use those...hahaaa!

AH

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Working on one of those currently. I had not realized the popourri of fastener styles. Went to my local supplier and got an education. Though I didn't want to I gave in and ordered fastener kits for what I needed. But no worries, the fellow who one day buys if from me will pay for them...LOL

17. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

Imperial measurement era US made items with metric bearings was probably all about the relative price of metric vs. imperial bearings even back then. Bean counters would have insisted on a (for instance) 1" bore bearing bearing being replaced by a 25mm bore item where it was 1/2 the price of the imperial bearing. Certainly has been the case on UK manufactured parts well before we went metric in 1970. e.g 1950's Lucas generators have metric shafts and bearings even though all the fasteners are pre metrication WF (Whitworth Form) or BA (British Association) threads.

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Just bought dist. hold down bracket for my small block Ford. The bolt screwed into my 65 289 block but I needed a 12 mm wrench to tighten it up. Just another tool I need to put in my toolbox when I go to the track.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  19. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

We were almost all switched over to metric in the 70s but no they had to switch back. I wish they would of left it alone and went metric. It is so much easier and cleaner everything is in tens...

Dick Stevens likes this.
  20. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I don't care which system gets used. Metric is easiest to use though. I just wish it would all get standardized. I absolutely hate working on something with Imperial stuff, then all of a sudden, I need metric wrenches for something on it. My first experiences with motorcycles was Hondas. I sold my Hondas and bought a 1978 Harley Superglide. So I put up all my metric tools, figuring I wouldn't need them for the Harley. It came with extended forks that I wanted to change back to stock length. Went to take off the axle caps to remove the front wheel and the bolts took a 10mm wrench. I sold the Harley because of that.

21. pitman

pitman

[QUOTE="Stueeee, 1950's Lucas generators have metric shafts and bearings even though all the fasteners are WF (Whitworth Form) or BA (British Association) threads.[/QUOTE] knew the "Prince of Darkness (ie: Lucas) would appear SOL! ;)

Wanderlust and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess this means fancy distributor wrenches are destined to become wall hangers just like an old oil can spout?

23. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

GM 1978 and newer "G" bodied cars have been known "metric chevelles' in the racing parts catalogs for years because most of the fasteners are metric-found out the hard way that the knurled Chevy starter bolts come in std and metric.Working on 2.3 Pinto engine you'll find std and metric bolts right next to each other,sometimes holding the same bracket on

24. I agree with all that "which is better/easier/yada-yada".
    But I think the original poster was commenting on how we are supposed to be devotees of all things traditional and of how Moses and Henry Ford did it. The OP is spotlighting that repops are being made and sold in metric instead of the original imperial.
    So the question is....... are you going to take it lying down, or are you going to fight it tooth and nail?

25. Damn, how old are you???

j hansen likes this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we were teenagers, it was a nice system to learn the different sizes in automotive tools. Our standard measuring system was part of our math curriculum and that kept us interested. It was a physical way to see fractions in action, beside eating pizzas. So, the build of any of our hot rods or any family car was dealt within our tool supply. One portable Craftsman grey tool box. Our complete set of sockets and wrenches could do 99% of any repair or adjustments.

All of the teenagers working on cars were happy to have such a system. When my brother and I started to see metrics being used on sporty cars and vans, a small set was purchased. So, now there were two sets of tools. But, the metric tools had their own case, just to keep them segregated from the standard craftsman tools.

Then, when we were in the recovery phase of our hot rod years, my brother said dirt bike racing in the desert was new thing and it was going to be exciting. 100 mile courses with competition in classes with the same requirements in motors, etc. Or, one hour continuous European Scrambles courses in all sorts of terrain. So, he came home with a 250cc Greeves, blooey pipe, Scrambler motorcycle. Then, I found out that we needed a third set of tools for the British Whitworth System that was incorporated in the Greeves Motorcycles.

Jnaki

So, for hot rodding and our family cars, one set of nice Craftsman U.S. system tools, one Metric set for European sporty cars and vans and now, a separate set for the British Motorcycles. We could not carry all of the Whitworth tools with us on our 100 mile desert races in our jackets. So, we had a spark plug tool and several sizes of crescent wrenches for any emergency repairs necessary out in the desert. They fit neatly inside a tubular tool box that we attached to the motorcycle frame. Our jacket pockets were for water containers, candy, and food, not tools.

Over the years of racing, no major repairs were necessary, but the spark plug tools got used overtime until we had a dual plug system installed. At home, the Whitworth tools got used overtime, making modifications to the frame and running gear for specific desert racing.

Slowly, but surely, over the more recent times, the tool box/drawer has now been slimmed down to the standard tools again. The metric tools are still in their enclosed case and of all things, the last garage sale several years ago, a guy walked up and bought the complete Whitworth tools that had been gathering more dust than the desert environment it used to work on the Greeves Motorcycle.

The puzzling thing was that since the U.S.A tried converting to the metric system, it was a hard road. Today, the U.S. remains as the largest country to still stay on the standard tool measurement system. The other two countries are very small, one in Africa and one in South East Asia. So what do elementary school teachers use? Fractions, of course, to match their mother/father’s tools. (and pizzas, of course.) Yikes !

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Fractions are not a system of measurement and neither are decimals. However, for little kids fractions make sense as in 1/2 an apple or 1/4 of a pizza. Decimals come later and are considered a little more "sciencey" I suppose.

Jessie J. likes this.
  28. RmK57

RmK57

Doesn't the US military only use the metric system? I think NASA may also.

29. Metric stuff is creeping in everywhere... About a year ago I re-did my PS pump bracket (the PO had phonied up one that kept breaking mounting bolts) so the relocation required new hoses. While I was at it, I re-did the lines to my trans cooler. I needed a transition from a 5/16" hard line to 3/8 hose so I had two lines made up with 3/8 hose to 5/16" female flare fittings. Went to install them and my 9/16" wrench fit one but not the other... turned out it was 12mm. I mentioned this to the hose guy and he swore he didn't have any metric fittings...

30. goldmountain

goldmountain

Distributors have disappeared. We have become obsolete.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TrailerTrashToo likes this.