Register now to get rid of these ads!

metal shapers CHEAP english WHEEL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by testpilot, Jan 7, 2007.

1. budd

budd

does anyone know who sells these in Canada? you cant say its the dam chinese making crap and sending it over here, they didnt order them someone over here did, i`m sure whoever order them gave the factory the specs and they must of been happy with them or they would all be sent back.

2. Zombilly

Zombilly

Very Cool Norm

3. DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez
    from So Cal

FINALLY! A fuckin' answer to a question posted....uhhhhh.....8 pages ago! What a bunch of bullshit drama over a SIMPLE question.

4. HWgeek

HWgeek

Thanks to all who went ahead and bought the e-wheel. I am going to get mine soon. Novice in metal work, and just do stuff to fix for hobby. So for me, this is a good start to play with it and learn.... Also found this:
    http://www.geotekds.com/ewheel/hfewheel.htm

Will be adding those modifications to mine... Seems like it will make it a better unit.
    Cheers!

5. narducci

narducci

My 2 cents about harbor freight stuff

I have a HF tig welder, paid 160 bucks on sale. It works great, I wasn't expecting much but i have had no problems at all with it. It does nice TIG up to about 80 amps and at 20-30 amps works great on 18 ga body panels.
    I have a HF bead roller. I havent done much with it yet, just a few panels but so far, if you dont force it, it does a respectable job
    My buddy just got the EW and he says hes happy with it

I would not buy a wrench or sockets from them, I like the good stuff.

Most of the time I see people complaining about shit, they are misusing it and expecting it to do miracles. Take your time make 5 passes with the bead roller dont try to do it in one pass.

As far as buying stuff made in China, welcome to the 21st century, it aint going away.
    Some of the "all american crowd" would shit if they knew where the parts to their American car came from.
    Why do you think TOYOTA is now # 1 in the world . Well most are made in America

If this offends.. tuff shit, get a thicker skin

6. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Frikin newbie!! That thing has been beat to death on this site...several times. Do a search man....do a search and quit repeating everything from last year. There a POS...so go get you one and have fun with it. Friken newbies

7. blanchae

blanchae

8. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

I stopped at the store in Milwaukee today. It's on sale for $200.00w/stand. It's on the ticket hanging on the display. If I owned a body shop and made my living that way, I'd probably step up and get an expensive wheel. For as much as most of us would use it, this wheel looks fairly decent.

9. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

Well I bought one and it works great, price was right. I've only used 20 ga, but still it worked good. Just make sure your die's are centered. Go for it boy's.

10. Koz

Koz

I have this wheel for about 2 months, from HF. When out of the box it was definitly in need of help. Seems they know what one looks like but not how they work. I made a new fixture to hold the top wheel that unbolts to allow shim stock to be inserted as is typical with decent wheels. The anvil fixture was also reworked to tighten and improve alignment. As a side, I would note I am well experienced on a wheel for too many years now as I used to use a great old cast english one almost daily at my job as a prototype fabricator. Now some guy in Brazil is using it, thanks nafta. I also have the planishing hammer noted. Again I stiffened the frame and replaced the dies with ones from Eastwood. It too works great. We'll see how long it lasts.

11. 39sledge

39sledge

i got one to and it works great on 18 guage steel good crowns draws thru steel real nice cheap but effective.

12. I saw a smaller one at Horrible Freight today in Detroit.

Even cheaper than their first one.
    Definitely built to a price.

13. If You Guys Wanna Know About The Harbour Freight English Wheel Then Go To "metalmeet.com" And Read Up.....

There Is A Big Thread There About The Thing......

14. 51Fourdoor

51Fourdoor

My Dad purchased one about 6 months ago...then had some serious heart problems and hasn't been able to use it. I just drove from Cincy to Raleigh and picked it up (along with a H.F. planishing hammer). I have to hop on a plane overseas tomorrow for business, but I'll be back in a week and I'll be giving it a try. I'm no expert metal worker, but I'll post some info when I get back.

51FourDoor

15. jimmyv

jimmyv

I have the english wheel and planishing hammer. Both work fine for what I need. I have made several patch panels with them no problems with 16 and 18 gauge. Get them on sale. I got the wheel on sale for $199.99 and used a 15% off coupon. Got the planishing hammer on sale for $99.00. For the price you sure could not make them.

16. blazd88

blazd88
    from Lubbock TX

OK so now that this has died down a bit I figure Ill see if the coals are still hot. Stopped in the local HF and saw one on sale again and just wanted to see after all this time if anyone had changed their minds or what the consensus was after all this time. Thanx

17. Koz,

Can you show us (us visual learners, that is:D) the modifications you made- might make a great tech post?!

Thanks, Bill

18. bump for the evening crew...

19. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Nine pages to find out that it truly 'is what it is'. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Tools are tools and any tool can be used for whatever needs to be done.

I have tools that were handed down from my grandfather to my father to me, and I have tools I bought last week

I have tools from Snap-On and Matco, and I have tools from Craftsman and Husky.

What set of wrenches do I carry in my rod? My open, no secure storage hot rod that anyone can reach in and take whatever they want? Why, Harbor Freight, of course (or, stuff from the 'cheap tool guy' at the swap meets).

Everything has a place, and this cheap english wheel fills a need. So why not?

20. I have had mine for a year now. Used to build panels, roof sections, roof fill in pieces, etc. Im still happy with it.

21. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  22. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

I use the harbor freight English wheel to make panels and other little details on steel I need to roll often in my shop. Model a hoods no problem

23. Blacksmith54

Blacksmith54
    from Phoenix AZ

I made my own took me about fourteen hours over the course of a week after work I used 3 x 3 x .25 for the frame and 2 and 1/2 pipe for the legs and some bearing from a surplus yard total cost about $45.:cool:

Attached Files:

24. pquispea_m5

pquispea_m5
    from Spain

Hi,

I am working with aluminium sheet of 0.3mm in a project. I dont have problems with little areas to work the aluminium, my problem is with big areas about 30x30cm where i want uniform curvature in both axis.

Can I get a concave surface on aluminium sheet of 0.3mm (lithoplate) with the english wheel? Is it necessary a strong english wheel or with a small its ok? Thanks in advance. This is my project i'm working on: http://f16model.blogspot.com/

Grts,
    Pablo

Attached Files:

25. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

26. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

amazing job look great

27. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

went to HF site and seems they no longer sell them

28. gallagher

gallagher
    from califorina

there on clearance check stores to find one

29. modified1927

modified1927

Harbor Freight Modesto has at least one and also the seperate wheel kit there it's on Carpenter

30. bigdav160

bigdav160

It seems that is only at some stores.

My local store had one on display that looked like it just came out of the box.

No sale or clearance pricing. YMMV