Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mercury (styled) door panels for a 61 Starliner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stingbean, Mar 4, 2014.

1. stingbean

stingbean

I’m planning on making my own door panels to replace the beat up originals in my 1961 Starliner when the time comes. I really like the design of the 61-62 Mercury door panel better than the Galaxie panel and would like to try and copy the look of the rectangular/trapezoidal area in the middle of the Merc panel around the arm rest and window crank being separated from the rest of the panel by a piece of chrome trim. It doesn’t seem like the Mercury panels pop up that often for sale to use as a source of trim, and I don’t know if a place like SMS (http://www.smsautofabrics.com/products/door-panels.php) would sell you just the trim or if you have to buy everything.

Can anyone think of a more popular vehicle that would have door panels with a rounded off rectangular trim piece that is reproduced or easy to find? I’m just trying to approximate the look, so it wouldn’t have to be a perfect match to the Mercury trim. Any Ideas?
    <O:pThanks<O:p</O:p

Attached Files:

2. desotot

desotot

I scour old cars for those types of trim pieces when ever I can, but that kind of stuff is getting harder and harder to find.Old bone yards, abadoned cars and Hemmings would be a good start I suppose.

3. stingbean

stingbean

I've spent some time on Ebay and google image search, and this is what I came up with so far: 1974 AMC Hornet. The trim looks about right, but I may have as much trouble finding these as I would the 61 Mercury pieces.

Attached Files: