Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mercury Bench Seat Lowering Modification?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by michaelvz51, May 29, 2013.

1. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Hello everyone,
    My project 51' Mercury Coupe has been chopped and I recently found an original front bench seat in great condition. I want to run the original front bench seat but when installed, it sits a little high for my 6'1 height. Does anyone have any ideas on how to modify the stock bench seat to lower it so it can be used with my chop top? I can fabricate very well but need some ideas to start from since with the HAMB as a source, there is no need to reinvent the wheel as it were. Any ideas would be much appreciated, especially with photos! I have spent hours checking all of the project Mercs here on the HAMB and have not seen this modification as many use bucket seats out of T Birds or other bench seats.

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

you can get creative and trim the riser down and tie the springs to make them shorter. merc seats arent the best for clearance. im 6-2 so im right there with ya. I was down testing the height this morning at the upholster, springs were tied 2" shorter, and I trimmed an inch out of a 50 seat, still to high for me to be comfortable....

3. You can do it like Matt said to your stock seat but if you find a 70's full size (CAD OLD'S) GM folding split back front bench seat that is 6 way power and is very comfortable just lose the removable headrests it will go much lower. last pic is of Tim's seat and his merc is cut 6" in the front and he is very tall.

The Erickson's / Extreme Kustoms
    951 678-3520

Attached Files:

4. b-bob

b-bob

I just went through this myself. My 39 has a 37 tudor seat and was too high.
    I sectioned the seat brackets to get it down, that worked, but the seat touches the trans tunnel. Something to look out for if you do cut-down the seat risers.

5. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Matt, Eyk and B bob, thank you all for the replies and advice, I really appreciate it as I know you are excellent builders and your work has inspired me on my project.

6. danielc629

danielc629

EXK what kind of seat is the last pic? Year, make and model.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!