Register now to get rid of these ads!

Merc questions - electrical & intake manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr57, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Spent a couple hours in the garage tonight trying to start the 51. Here's what I've done so far, and what's happened.
    I switched the stock voltage regulator out for one from a 57 canadian Ford - same as 56 American. I hooked up the 12 volt battery, negative post to the solenoid, positive to the block, and polarized it. It spun over like a damn, farting and burping, and leaking gas out of about twelve places on the carb and fuel pump, and oil out the lid on the filter.
    The problem arose as soon as I hooked the battery up. The temp guage slowly went all the way to the right and stayed there as long as the key was shut off. Turn the key on, and it went back to the left. What did I do wrong? Do I need a voltage reducer (shouldn't with using this regulator)
    Second question is in regards to the hookup between the battery and the starter. When I bought the car, it had two 6 volt batteries in it. The old fart who owned the car before me even went so far as to hook up two solenoids. Would I be able to remove the joiner cable that runs from the original solenoid to the second battery and the second ground cable and just leave it? Do I have to remove the second solenoid too?

I haven't driven the car since 1991, and am trying to get it running to see what sort of approach I am going to go with the car. If the flathead runs okay yet - it was fine when parked - I'll keep it in the car.

2. With the intake, is there any sort of heat that runs through the intake on a flathead. I have a sispicious looking crack under the carb mount. I stuck a piece of wire in it and the wire went in about 2" and came out covered with black sooty crap. I pushed a piece of paper over the crack and spun it over seeing if it would maybe draw it in with intake vacuum. Instead, it blew it out??
    I have no idea WTF it is, but can I fill it w/ JB weld? [​IMG]

3. Crestliner

Crestliner

Sounds as if your manifold is cracked into the heat riser. Has this motor been out in the weather or sitting without antifreeze? Never seen a intake crack there. Probably need to take it off and inspect you engine before replacing the intake. This I'm sure won't cure all your problems,but you need to make sure its not busted.

4. shoebox72

shoebox72

1. Switch to normal neg. ground. you will fuck up the voltage regulater if you leave it pos. ground. All 56 & newer fords got Neg. ground with 12 volts.

2.Don't be confused. The voltage regulater is not a voltage reducer meant to run 6 volt accessories. Use a 57 ford dash guage voltage reducer, it ties in along the power wire that feeds the gas,oil and temp guages. Altho I have run 12 volts to the stock guages without the reducer and had no problems.

3. the temp guages on these cars always is to the right(HOT) when the key is off. it only goes across to the left(COLD) when the key is on. I don't think you have trouble with your guages.

4.The float may be sticking on your carb, causing it to leak fuel & flood out.lightly tap the carb with a small hammer near the fuel bowl th free-up the float.you may need to tighten the screws on the fuel pump, replace the cork gasket for the sediment bowl on the fuel pump or replace fuel lines, depending on where the fuel is leaking from.
    if there is fuel leaking from the throttle shaft at the base of the carb, don't be too concerned as it won't affect the car from not starting aslong as the float isn't stuck.

5. Be sure you have a 12 volt coil with a ballast resistor installed. It goes in the wire from the ign. switch to the coil+. make sure the points are clean & gapped correctly. make sure you don't have a crossed sparkplug wire.

6. get rid of the second solinoid and the other cables. just hook it up the stock way as you don't need the extra stuff and you should be fine.

I hope this info helps. if you don't understand something I said, let me know. good luck getting the Merc going.

Billy

5. The car sat inside for all but the last two years, drained of antifreeze. I was told with this particulat regulator, voltage drop was not needed, as it only puts out eight volts, and the generator will keep the battery charged, plus to leave it as + ground. If I do need a voltage drop, are they available new? Not too many 57 Fords left lying around here. Got a part #??
    Thanks

6. shoebox72

shoebox72

Try this number, VRC603 It's either in the Standard ignition or Borg Warner prouduct lines.

Billy