Register now to get rid of these ads!

merc flywheel and shoebox trans.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DOUBLEZO, Aug 11, 2010.

1. DOUBLEZO

DOUBLEZO
    from SACramento

i just picked up a 51 mercury flathead. its going into my shoebox. the motor has a borg and beck flywheel, with pressure plate etc. i want to use this with my 49 ford trans. will the merc stuff fit in and work with the 49 bellhousing? or do i need to use the ford pressure plate and flywheel? thanks.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The pressure plate and disc were changed DURING 1951 for the Merc.
    If you have the early kind, disc spline will be obviously larger than the splines on the late Ford transmission and fingers on pressure plate will be made for a throwout bearing larger than the '49 Ford passenger one. You would need a late/51-53 Merc plate and disc OR swap to all '49 Ford parts.
    I think if you have the more common small-spline late '51 it will all bolt together.

3. DOUBLEZO

DOUBLEZO
    from SACramento

thanks bruce, i was hoping you would reply. im thinking i have the late small spline merc pressure plate and clutch. the splines match the 49 ford. ford has 9 1/2 clutch and merc 10. they are both same height. over on the barn, the throwout was the question. here are some pics, what do you think? top pic is ford with ford bearing, bottom pic, merc with ford bearing. [​IMG] [​IMG] im just trying to save some money and use the merc stuff if possible, thanks.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Go get the wrenches...