Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Meltdown Drags -VINTAGE DRAG Meet- at Byron Dragway-July 31st

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Actually I believe great lakes calls for water too, but they don't really check.

Hellfish, the Meltdown was never put together to compete with the Hunnert Car Heads-up. As racers, we thought it would be great to have another event in the summer time. Other than the Heads-up, there is nothing for us around here. We have been talking about this for 2 years. The idea originally started 2 years ago with a flagger start as the focus. Within the last year, we (mainly Koopmeiners and I) have kicked it in gear to actually see to it that this happens. Unfortunately, the flagger start was kicked aside when we weren't allowed a closed track. So, assuming we have a good turn-out this year, we hope to be allowed a closed track next year so all match racing can leave on a flagger. When I originally brought the idea to Ron, the track owner, I proposed a flagger start and he was right on board with it.

With that being said,

I instisted on having some tech guidelines to post. We will see on race day if they actually care. But I want guys to look over these basic things. Even if the track doesn't care, they should have these things just out of personal preparation and safety. It's a possibility we could show up and they hardly even look over the cars, they just pass them through. But I wouldn't want it to be the other way around with guys expecting that any old rattle trap is fine, and then get turned down at the inspection. I know Ray the tech inspector, he built the transmission that is in my henry j, so I will track him down and see what he has to say.

I've never had water in my Henry J and I've been out to Byron numerous times. They never check, I'm not even sure they care all that much. They just don't want anifreeze on the track (no track does). It's REALLY hard to clean up. I'm thinking I might put that 40 below stuff in my car instead of anifreeze anyway. I hear it cools better.

Same for rubber fuel line. I ran out there all the time with several feet of that red clear fuel line from Moon and they never said anything. It wasn't until I went to the first Hunnert Car Heads-up that I changed it to hard line.

My inspection when I pulled in at Byron was basically, they looked over the quality of the build briefly. If it was clean and looked to be well put together, they just went ahead and passed it.

There is a 64 nova gasser called High and Wild that runs out there all the time. It is very very crude. Runs in the 11s with a 4 speed and pulls the wheels. It snapped the front wheel off in last year's wheelstand competition. If they pass that, I would imagine they will pass most anything that shows up for the meltdown.

But like I said, look over the tech guidelines and be properly equipped.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  2. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Any race track would prefer water and alot of guys run water. Don't go changing out your anti freeze...I am NOT going to. Just common sense safety rules etc.

If you think... god, this is unsafe, then fix it. Common sense. As Ryan said...The Heads up is the Bomb, and there is nothing like it within 5-6 hours again for 12 months, so this event is to quench everyone thirst for MORE vintage events in the area.

If we do not get a good turn out then there is only 1 other event all year in a 5-6 hour radius ( of vintage drag racing)

Alot of guys are very pleased there is another vintage event with racing they can attend this year. So fingers crossed.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  3. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Eric, this event is sounding better and better, I am going to try to clear my calender and move something I had planned to come to this. This event would be a great addition to a calender year and as you said in your area there just is not alot like this.

Jon

4. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Jon,

If you can make it happen, that is FANTASTIC. I think you will like our group of guys, alot of real deal stuff, and great vintage cars. And several in the works cars. Would love to see your Falcon make it....Thanks again!

Eric

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Ryan:

how about getting a clarification regarding the water, not antifreeze, requirement. My 56 has antifreeze in it. I have raced it there before without issue, but don't wish to run into a problem at the tech shack.

Eric:

I think your comment about the Time Machine Nationals is inaccurate. Set aside the personal issues that we all have with track ownership and focus on the fun.

6. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Bob, like is said above, I am going to track down Ray the tech guy and ask him. I would like to know for sure myself. I will post my findings as soon as I know.

7. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Bob, LOL your right...all I can say if you did not show up most of the vintage cars would not be there LOL. That event just needs a little section of it focused on "Time Machines"

8. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

Bobwop, Will look for you, how will I know which is your 56? 2b-banjo

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

my 56 is red/white Belair. Staight axle and way up in the air. I am not certain that it will be there. The Willys will be there for sure to put a beating on Mike's 56 Chevy. I can bring two and will wait for direction from E and Ryan to determine whether to bring the 56 Chevy or the 63 Belair Nostagia Super Stock car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Hellfish

Hellfish

Weird, I replied, but my response disappeared.

Ryan/Falfa - please don't take my comments the wrong way! I don't see this as competition with the Heads Up - well, not in a bad way anyway :D The more traditional hot rod drag events around the better. There are only a few in the Midwest at vintage tracks that I know of. I plan to go to the Meltdown, and race if I can.

I was only puzzled as to why we got so much grief about having the Heads Up at an NHRA track that has such "restrictive rules". Many refused to even go there because of the rules. We got a lot of people saying we'd be better off at "easier" tracks like Byron... but they have the SAME RULES! at least for slower cars. Again, that has nothing to do with you. Weird. I guess myths and rumors die hard!

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Hellfish:

I believe you hit the nail on the head. Truthfully, the tech process at Byron has been much more involved for me that the one at GLD. I agree that it is a myth and it must be perception that getting teched at GLD would be a challenge.

12. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Hellfish, were cool, we just wanted you guys to know it was not a competition, we just want more of the same (heads up) type event. Very cool, best time I ever had at the grove in 19 years!!! I hear what your saying, alot of people feel NHRA is more strict. I am told by many people that raced at Byron it is no problem, basics and obvious stuff. For Bob his stuff is quality should be no changes.

Guys - Don't get hung up on this Anti freeze thing unless we have to....Ryan is checking lets give him a minute to find out if it is a problem of not. Other than that the tech process I am told by multiple people is the same or easier for slower cars.

Bob send me a privatge PM on what your talking about.

E

13. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

DONT Worry about the anifreeze thing.

I still haven't talked to Ray, but....

Let me put it this way, all my buddies and I run our crappy beaters down the track at the end of the day, they have anifreeze. All the street/strip cars that run at Byron have anifreeze and there are a SHIT TON of street/strip cars out there every weekend.

If you have anifreeze in your car, leave it, nobody actually cares. Just don't leak

The tech stuff is common sense stuff.

Here's a more simple set of Rules that they are strict about.
    -Make sure your wheels are tight
    -Make sure your car doesn't leak
    -Don't run over anybody
    -Don't Hit anybody

14. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Oh, by the way paul...

I stopped by Flathead Denny's the other day. He had the blower and intake hanging from a cherry picker and the heads off. He's refining the chambers on the heads. He says that dragster is going to be ready to kick some ass by the Meltdown..

You better oil up the wheels on your little Rik-shaw if you think you are gunna hang with that Rocket!

15. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

This should be pretty good..... I am excited to see the....
    56' Big Block vs 42' Hemi shoot out...this is an alltime classic.
    The blown flattie FED vs Fiat injected 301
    the Abomination J vs the K&S 55.

ALSO.....just got word, and I will have more info shortly that a VERY FAST 1/8th mile racer will be on site looking for any 1/8 mile Match races. Will find out how fast so I can post....he may have to race a Front Engine Dragster the 1/8th any takers. This is an all steel car looking for a match race.

VERY COOL....the emails keep coming!!

16. Hellfish

Hellfish

Hell, this kind of competition is GOOD (as long as we don't schedule things too close together) and is encouraging everyone to support 2 vintage drag strips thus keeping them around. I hear "You beat me at Great Lakes, but I bet you can't do it at Byron". :D

Other Midwest vintage drags:
    HAMB Drags (duh!)
    Road Rockets Drags (May & Oct; IN)
    Hunnert Car Heads-Up (June; IL)
    Meltdown (July; IL)
    Rte 42 Drags (July; OH)
    Suedes drags (Aug?; MN/SD)

I think we're close to having a vintage drag circuit like the old days. :D

17. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Thought I should share some of these pictures from Byron Dragway back in the 60s (was called Rockford Dragway then because Byron was so small). I pulled these off of Glen Brown's photos on GasserMadness.com. In the 60s the track used to run 4 lanes wide. It was later narrowed and now has 2 wider lanes

Jerry Haley's Anglia. Ran a straight 6 chevy. Held the record for a really long time. Jerry cut 2 small block heads in half and mated them together to create the straight 6 head that was unbeatable. If I remember correctly, he later did the same thing with 2 Hemi heads. The car was pro streeted in the 80s or 90s and is now owned by Jay Carter in Rockford who is going to un-pro street it and restore it to its glory days. Jay had a hand in building the Weekend Stripper 30 chrysler coupe gasser that was at the Heads-up.
    [​IMG]

Mike Marinoff's willys in the pits. Ask Koopmeiners about this one, he knows his cars very well.
    [​IMG]

I don't know much of the History on this car other than a friend of mine owns it now and is just finishing the restoration. It has a 13.5 to 1 hilborn injected 327 with an isky roller cam and gear drive. Motor is backed with a lenco manual and an olds/pontiac rear. There is a good chance this car will be at the Meltdown running down Byron again for the 1st time since the early 70s.
    [​IMG]

I know nothing about this 55, but it is really cool and the Byron Tower is in the background. That tower is still standing and is still in use at the track.
    [​IMG]

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

anybody out there want some Nostalgia Super Stock action? My Chevy will run in the mid-10's if anybody wants to run against me.

great shots of the good ol' days, Ryan

19. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Here are some more.

Larry Teter's record holding Vicky. Teter built race motors back then, I believe into the 70s. The second Willys I posted above that my friend Steve restored has one of Teter's motors in it. The block, heads.. everthing is stamped Teter and then the job number. Very cool in my book.
    [​IMG]

Here is the Shake, Rattle, and Run 57 chevy which is still around. However, now it is a modernized race car.
    [​IMG]

20. mjb3707

mjb3707
    from chicago

bob i hope somebody takes you up on your offer about the super stock then maybe you may have at least one win that weekend

21. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

WOW....looks like the 56' Hemi Hunter is out on the Prowl....BBC RULE!!!!

22. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Mikey, mikey, mikey. What am I going to do with you....put a whooping on the old rat! Shall I carry a tow rope in case you can't make it back to the pits?

23. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Well that might just be a race between that ol willys and that 56 chevy.

All I know, is it's a good thing Eric has that pretty gold paint job on that 55. That way he will at least look good crossing the line second.

24. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

This will be the match race of the season....for sure!!!! I cannot wait...

Talked to this guy, this car has been restored, I told him what a great opportunity to get it back to the track and get an updated picture!!

Hope he comes!!

Rockfordorigional.jpg

25. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Whoa....I missed that last comment. Ryan....do you recall our bet ?...if you lose, you have to walk around with a '301' written on your forehead in black sharpie for the rest of the day.

26. mjb3707

mjb3707
    from chicago

bob you could but i dont think that old willys has enough to pull itself let alone pull a real car

27. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

the only thing I ever saw your car pull (besides some awesome wheelies) was the breather cap

28. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

And if I win you get a boat anchor drawn on yours

29. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

VonRyan I know were the Jerry Haley anglia is. I was able to look at it last year and well bad news for gasser fans. The guy that owens it still has the 6 banger complete. The car is now Black and blue and it was made in to a bracket car. Tubbed out nose down on the ground front axle is gone. The guys grandson will start racin it in afew years that was the only plus I could see. I offered him a crazy amount of money. He said no after I told him I would put it back to the way it was back in the day.

The car looks all sad with it nose down in the dirt like it was being scolded for being a bad little gasser :(

30. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Was it Jay Carter you talked to? Last I heard ( this was several months ago) Jay had a stock donor chassis to put it on.