Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mechanical Gauges Q

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by r8odecay, Feb 23, 2010.

1. r8odecay

r8odecay

I have read a few posts on here that the mech water temp runs through a buret tube, is that still the way they work these days? any problems routing the tubes at a tight radius or is that asking for it?

So the mech oil pressure kits I see have a nylon capillary tube to bring pressurized oil into the cab?...is this really a legit thing? I would think that a stop gap to get home, maybe...but is there any better quality stuff? I guess I could always bend tubing...

Anybody know of a dual needle (water temp/oil pressure) both mechanical gauge in a single housing?

thanks!

2. magoo

magoo

3. cretin

cretin

Yea, they still work with that tube. How tight of a radius?
    As for a mech oil gauge, I usually replace the line they give you with a copper line. Your local parts house should sell a copper oil gauge line kit.

4. 10bucks

10bucks

I've seen enough of the metal lines fail too. (both copper and steel) I usually get a short custom hydraulic hose made up. 1/8" hose & various swivel 90's and ridgid 1/8 MP ends to make the jump from engine to firewall. Or from engine all the way to gauge. Nothings worse than trying to clean alot of engine oil out of the dash and floor of your rod.

5. r8odecay

r8odecay

I rethought the routing, and have a good way to run it on a sweeping line, no need for the 90 degree I was planning...

Thanks everyone for the great info!!! Magoo, that Smiths gauge looks like it will be perfect.

6. mac762

mac762

I like to buy a braided line for my oil pressure gauge. I think I got mine for $20 out of Speedway.