Register now to get rid of these ads!

Measuring a dropped axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beantoad, Jan 21, 2011.

1. I found this old hot rod a few years ago and am slowly putting it back together . I believe it was a '32 5 window or maybe a sport coupe in its younger days . It was last driven in 1973 .
    The front tube axle is bent and I plan to replace it , but I don't really know what it is / was . How does one measure an axle to tell how much drop it has . I suppose it would be easy if I had an original laying arround to compare , but I don't , so I'm asking here
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I'm not exactly sure how to measure one but there are a few HAMB members that can straighten it out for you. 296V8 or 55 Mercury can probably help you...

3. alchemy

alchemy

That tube axle looks to have about one inch more drop than a stock I-beam. I would not recommend straightening the tube axle like the fella above said. Once steel tube is bent, it can't be made right again. Especially on something important like that axle.

4. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Back in the day, as they say, most all dropped axles where made from Ford axles from '28 to '34. It was common to find Moadel A axles with a 3" dropp and '32 to '34 axles with a 2 1/2" drop. This was determined by comparing the dropped one to a stocker. Your tube would be measured by the difference between it and a straight tube. From the picture I would guess you have a 3" or 4" drop. To stay in theme with the rest of you car, I would suggest a dropped "I" beam such as a Super Bell for example.

Ron

5. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Something like this would look great

[​IMG]

Ron

6. Thanks for the help guys
    The plan is to replace it with a dropped Super Bell , or similar , but I don't know what drop I am looking for .
    I just measured it to give you some point of reference .
    From the floor to the bottom of the axle , mid point , up to the center of the dust cap on the wheel, there is a difference of 8" .
    Does that help ?

7. F&J

F&J

Not really, because of where and how the perches are mounted on that type of axle.

If you wanted to compare it to a car that has a 4" dropped beam, you could measure to the center of the shackles to the floor and compare that on both cars. The tire sizes come into play doing it that way, but you could do the math to see if a 4" will be a lot different ride height compared to your car. You just need to figure in the tire difference to find out by comparing another car.

If your car already had Ford perch bolts, then it would be easier to tell exactly what a 4" would do, because you could measure the true drop of that axle. So, measuring off the shackles might be the best way.

maybe someone has a better idea

P/S other than the radiator...it's a cool save. i am also doing one that was cut up.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A quick measurement across the front spring and the perches should give a good indication of if a Ford style I beam will bolt right on.
    Post the measurements and someone should be able to tell you right away if they match a 32 axle and spring.
    The spindles, backing plates and some of the other pieces should transfer though.

9. Thanks F&J and everyone,
    At the moment the car is raised up on jack stands , but I will lower it down as soon as I can and get some proper measurements with weight on the springs and tires .
    The rad will be replaced before spring with a new 5 " chopped aluminum rad , that I am in the process of ordering. Then I can redo that gawd awful looking chopped and widened grille shell . That should help the looks a lot .
    The goal is to not change anymore than I need to make it safe .
    I am not going for the rat rod look , I prefer to think of it as a "barn find" original look ;o)
    Even as is , it really draws attention . What a conversation piece it has become . I guess because it gets everyones memories and dreams going .
    I have a set of early Navarro heads and the later Navarro 2X2 intake to go on later this month , so you'll probably be hearing a lot more questions from me.
    If anyone else has some additional measuring guides , I'd be very glad to hear them
    Jim

10. Alchemy I agree on the drop. That's what it looks like to me also.

And correct on straightening a tube axle. Not a good idea. Its not like a forged axle in that respect.

11. F&J

F&J

Well, then can you take another measurement? : Can you run a straight edge, or whatever, across to each king pin "top" , then measure down to the center of the lower spring shackle pin?

Then I can do the same on my 4". Maybe we can get a close idea of your drop. Might be an illusion, but it looks like more than 4 to me.

12. I lowered the car down and took a few measurements today . I'm not 100% sure so I have included a photo to show what I measured . Did I get it right ? It measured 7"
    Thanks
    Jim

Attached Files:

13. F&J

F&J

Yes top of the pins to shackle pin centerline.

I'll try to get a measurement tomorrow...my rad is in the way but I will get it.

Still looks like a heavy drop to me, but who knows

14. F&J

F&J

Just measured my car to be a little under 5".

So I would think that if you use a transverse type front axle made for Ford perch pins, you would need a 6" dropped axle "if" you did not change anything else, and wanted the same rake.

I would never run a 6". I prefer a 4" with reversed spring eyes. That would only raise your car slightly less than an inch because you gain a little over 1" by reversed eyes.

Another thing I saw in your last pic...that is not a Ford style transverse spring. Looks like a trailer spring to me. So I am pretty sure the length of it will be too short for whatever axle you use that has Ford style perch holes. You need to pick an axle before buying a spring because many aftermarket axles use a different length that an original Ford transverse spring.

Tire size can be used to fine tune the front rake if you have too, and you could always change the center spring mount on the chassis, to alter the rake if you had to.

15. Wow , this is great . Thanks guys !
    I now have much more of an idea of what I have and where I'm going .
    Because I want to keep the barn find look , I think I will start searching for a used front suspension that has "the look" , but more importantly the safety .
    Fortunatly , I have a long list of things to correct and I can take my time searching for a replacement suspension .
    Again , thanks everyone for your ideas and advice.
    Jim

16. F&J

F&J

If looking at old Ford dropped axles, it is better to find a pre-1937 axle because they will likely have been dropped to at least 4" and, the hairpins or bones will be in closer to the center of the axle so the tires won't hit them on hard turns.

The 37 up axles normally won't be dropped as much because of how they don't have as much area in the S part of the axle. That's because the perch pin holes to mount the bones is much closer to the king pin.