Register now to get rid of these ads!

maybe im a little f"n stupid...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by premium, Oct 10, 2006.

1. premium

premium
    from Goergia

is it me? or does every old kodger with a rusted out piece of crap that wasnt worth 20 bucks for scrape metal 5 years ago now wants 3 g's for it? what the hell!!.. ive looked at roughly 15-20 cars ? trucks, pre war era shit boxes...barely enough good metal to actually weld to...and just about had a corenary when they told me what they wanted for them.. i dont really see these cars being worth more than a few hundered let alone 3 grand. i got my 49 in great save-able, Driveable condtion with an extra engine for a touch over 3000. i thought that was a good buy, ecspecially for this part of the country. is it just hear in the south? or like this everywhere. i hate this ratrod horseshit trendy vibe goin on rite now. i like oldschool traditional style pre war hot rods, built on a budget and some early 50s sleds...come on...where can a white boy find a car to hack up?!!.. sorry rant over

2. Flop

Flop

same thing is goin on up here in pittsburgh pa
    every car thats is completley rusted into the ground is rediculously priced
    its rusty so it has to be a rat rod which makes it worth 100x more
    i cant wait for this horse shit to blow over

3. barrett-Jackson auctions on TV

4. 31modelo

31modelo

Hey its worse down here. I saw a OK 29 pickup and the SOB wanted 20 G's and was serious as a heart attack.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what kind of cars are you talking about that are worth a few hundred? pinto's? AMC Hornets?

6. I cant agree more with you all of you . Where in the hell did you ever see more junk and unsafe vehicles then this fad going on .Rusted ? Primer ? These are not traditional hot rods like in the 50,s or 60,s
    look in any publication in that era and you will find PAINT shiny paint pearls,candy,metal flake , etc.. This fad is nothing more then a bad cartoon. When this fairy tail ends and it will very shortly Its a vicious circle you will find that same rusted out POS where it started from in a field or broken down garage ....

Hope I did not piss off to many but oh well ...........

7. synthsis

synthsis

i can tell by a couple of the previous posters that they like their cars nice and shiney but I don't. someone once said a car can only be original once and once it's been painted it's not original anymore. I'd take an original patina'ed A body any day of the week over some too many coats of glass black any day.

8. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Its a matter of supply and demand................

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I agree.... you want to play, you gotta pay. No different than anything else. Sometimes you get lucky.

10. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

No trend lasts forever. Things change. Tastes change. But prices seldom come down. Buy now and in ten years you will look very wise.

11. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Maybe if you were a bit more repectful to some of those "old kodgers" they might help you out and cut you a deal. Plant corn...ya get corn newbie!

12. guy51usa

guy51usa

Hey' I,m an old codger and totally schocked at prices these days but if we don't give in the good stuff for fair prices is still available. I recently bought a 29 a tudor body for $250 , a 71 chevy cheyenne rust free and riding and driving for $150 , a 58 chevy panel for $100. Also a 56 chevy pu with trans am sub frame(had been stored inside for 20 years) a 71 chevy pu rusy free with $2000. worth of new parts for $2000. Also scored a rebuilt 47 crosley engine for $200. these go for around $2500. Some people just have too much cash and not enough brains and are running the prices out of sight for the rest of us. And not to sound like an old butt but sometimes attitude and appearance affect price. Old Fart

13. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I guess you shoulda bought all them $20 scrap bodies up 5 years ago eh? Sucks to be you. So, in 5 years would you be willing to sell that 49 for $3000? I doubt it. Keep looking and stop bitching.

14. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

I just paid $7000 for a 1937 Packard Coupe project car. Even I think I am crazy for doing it, but it's basically my dream car, so I guess that's what I had to pay if I ever wanted to own one.

[​IMG]

But I know what you mean. Some of the prices are getting out of control.

15. Hat Man

Hat Man
    from Omaha, NE

Not exactly fair to compare it to what you could buy things for 5 years ago. So now the word is out that people actually want this stuff. Price goes up. But also remember that an asking price doesn't mean a thing. An asking price doesn't make it worth that. Good stuff sells. Crap takes a little longer.

16. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

yep.....

went and talked to a guy that has a model A coupe that went through a bad fire...........asking price.........drum roll please......30k:eek:

17. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If you get "stuck" on a certain make and model car, that everyone else wants, yeah, you're going to pay out the big bucks.
    On the other hand, I put a 46 Ford sedan up for sale here on the HAMB, practically rust free, and couldn't get $3000 for it. Go figure!

18. BELLM

BELLM

"where can a white boy find a car to hack up"
    "maybe im a little f"n stupid"

I'm an old codger. I don't know how old you are and don't care but proper attitude and respect for ALL people go a long way. I have something for sale, someone comes along with an "attitude", I give them a price that says get the fuck off my property. If that doesn't work I tell them to get the fuck off my property. I have no problem buying stuff at a reasonable price because I respect everyone until they give me a reason not to.

19. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I have a rusty old rat rod. Does anyone want to give me to much money for it ?pm me, I'll build another. SOT

20. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

21. 2_wheel_nation

2_wheel_nation
    from hudson, MA

bikes are worse. the prices on basket case trumps, nortons, bsa's, matchless etc. have been steadily climbing for years. seems like there's not much middle ground left either, everything is either in many rusted pieces or completely restored. the few decent originals that show up go for almost as much as the fully restored ones.

just yesterday the guys over on jockyjournal were going ape over a matchless G12 for $500. the thing was all rust and in lots of pieces. who even knows what's missing. but they near unanimously agreed, they'd drop $500 on it without flinching.

22. flathead okie

flathead okie

YEP, took a guy I know to an ol scrap yard in the sticks in 1973. An ol' black man owned it. He sold parts cheap. The redneck I took with me was trying to get a bumper of a falcon and called it a N**** rigged piece of crap. The ol guy told us to leave. later on I came back and explained to him that I would never bring the guy back if he'd let me come back. He let me come back to get more parts, but they were a little higer in price from then on.

23. bigBADwolf

bigBADwolf
    from Batavia,IL

Just becuse its old dosen't mean is worth more than it really is. it dose seem that more than ever people young and old are trying to get 401k money for crap.YES,everything is getting harder to find(better start grabing up moordoors!)but just keep in mind respect for what somethings worth and life should be ok for us all. For years I tryed to buy a chevy,(really wanted a 54 but,any would do)but got fed up with the "chevy tude" too many guys asking for 10 large for a 77 nova,saying ''sorry kid its a chevy!, you'll never find like this ".its now why Im a BUICK man.that way I know why everthing cost so much!

24. Gigantor

Gigantor

I thought the asking price of 3500 was WAY high for my 50 Chevy coupe - I believe politeness and persistence and a confident knowledge of what I was talking about and the reiteration of keeping the ol girl traditional whittled the man down 1500 dollars. I threw in my old van as a trade and got a rusty but serviceable car for $500.
    Yeah, the prices are high, but these cars might only be available once in a lifetime, and sitting in a field rusting now is a HELL of a lot better than getting the same car that's been sitting in the field ten years from now after the "fad" is over. Get while the gettin's good.

25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

A couple years ago I bought a 2dr A sedan for 500 bucks. Two weeks later I sold it for 1,500.00.
    No telling what it would bring today.. I should have hung on to it longer. I'm guessing with the right customer it would bring 5 grand.

26. Squablow

Squablow

Move to Wisconsin. Maybe it's just me, but I am DROWNING in old car projects, they're coming out from everywhere and I can't turn them down. Want one? Everything I own is for sale. Seems I can't give a car away when I want to sell one, but if I have even a couple hundred bucks on me, a new project will show itself and I'll end up buying it.

Post a wanted ad in the classifieds for a cheap project, list your budget and what you like and you'll have lots of responses. But don't think you're gonna buy an A coupe or a '55 Chevy for $200. Keep your options open and you'll have way more projects than you can handle (like I do). I really don't see where the tin shortage is, it certainly ain't around here.

27. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

yeah- but, those were magazine cars. Not everybody drives a magazine car right? Don Montgomery and Al Drake's books will shed light on what 90% of the other cars were like...........

28. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

I coundn't have said it better myself. I was standing out in the middle of F%@#ing nowhere last June with a stripped body strapped down onto the flatbed that I just got done digging out of a dry creekbed. I was sweaty, dirty, thirsty, and tired. Some guy comes up to me and strikes up a friendly enough conversation. We are standing there exchanging our thoughts and within 60 seconds he's telling what everything is bringing on BJ. What the heck? Is everyone now suddenly a car nut with unlimited resources? I don't think so. This whole reality TV thing is a bit of a misnomer. It seems to have narrowed the gap between fantasy and reality.

29. joe deertay

joe deertay

i come from a vw background and the same thing is going on there with the splitscreen camper vans...friend has one and was offered £30k for it, what thats prob close to $60k in dollars?....its just a sign of the times, i'm no authority on it but i think if people did stop going for the same stuff all the time it wouldnt be such a problem...i love model a's like everyone else but jesus, get something different, think differently about it(designer talkin haha) and come out with something fresh...

one: you'll be an individual....two: you'll prob start your own trend! theres so many other cool 40-50-60's cars out there, build something original and stop moaning about the prices, it sucks if you aint got one but as someone pointed out, if you had one would you sell it cheap out of principle? if i'd of bought a camper back in 93 i'd be sittin on £15-30k...but i didnt...tough luck, if i want one that bad i'll have to start saving, but i'd rather do something new and be a true standout...and at the end of the day i still think its better to be a leader than a follower..just my two pence..or cents as you guys might say! :)

30. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Friend of mine that is back in the stone age. No internet, no cell phone, no cable has no clue on how any of it works. Well he has a 33 Chevy with a clear ohio title. He has stripped the body down and primered in epoxy primer and has all the original parts seats, heater, etc. All steel. He has owned it since the eighties.
    He wants almost $10 grand for it! He told me he will let it rot away before he gives it away. Now you could trade around with him for it and come out with a reasonable swap.
    He asked me what I think of the price and I didnt want to bust his balloon but I said it sounds on the high end.
    Thats when he did the I will let it rot before I give it away.