Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** May 2015 Banger Meet - Mayday Mayday ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, May 2, 2015.

1. The rods I was referring to are A rods, at the time I bought that was all AER was manufacturing. Of course that was all I wanted. Curious bout the H &H rods. I tried to purchase a Scat A crank ground off set and finally gave up after 90 days and missing the 2012 Antique Nationals. Are you turning 5400 with a 3 main crank?

2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Yes it is for a tractor. A Farmall tractor. Input is crank speed and is reduced by half internally. So Distributor and tach drive run half speed. It has centrifugal advance. and it runs the correct direction to be used as a side drive adapted to mount onto an adapter on the cam gear inspection cover. I was thinking of using a side mounted governor unit as a base.An electronic distributor is available for it. But a Pertronics conversion wouldn't be hard.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381228559053?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I have a banger that is good for 5-6k , but never been over 3k .............

4. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Hey guys!

My buddy Brokenspoke, hooked me up with an FSI distributor for my stock (for now) 29 Sport Coupe.

I have read that the original pop out ignition switch will not work with that dizzy and wanted to know what you guys have used.

The car does have the stock gauge panel so I'd like the new one to fit in the original location.

Also, it currently runs quite well...

Should I change the plug gap?

Use certain wires? (I really like the looks of the cloth wires) Which ones to buy and where?

And any other tips?

Thanks for the time!

5. Bill,
    I have seen a couple off-set ground Scat cranks, they look great, "A" rod journals just don't make sense to me. Especially when you try to drill for oiling, the stress riser is a huge issue here.

This motor is 3+2 crank at 5400, it has been much higher and I just ran out of room on the lake bed.
    I have made a gearing change in the trans and hope to be able to pull 3.0 gear this year. And I built up a 2.75 just incase B'ville is good this year.

J

6. Dan,
    Cool find, it has mucho potential. Building up a side drive is not that hard, especially for a crank speed setup.
    I have been playing with side mags but since the rule changes this last year I don't need to, staying with crank triggers.
    I had a Harmonic balancer on the crank and twisted the key off, replaced with hard key and took the excess weight off the balancer. Fired it up today, I hope the rest of the car stays together, just wicked mean...

J IMG_0169.JPG

7. I have been thinking along the line of dip and squirt like a Babbitt Chevy. Once worked in a shop where an old auto engineer had some machinery in the shop. He said they increased the size of the dipper and increased the volume of the pumps and ran the heck out of them. I used to wind my 53 Chevy until it just wouldn't go any faster on the street. Just had bolt on stuff. At that time we were running parts for Thomas Magnesium and so I had a set of the old high lift rocker arms. Damn, my mind just gets to wandering. This old guy said he was hired right out of college to set up a racing program for some new car company that was manufacturing gasoline engines. This was in 1912 or 13. They gave him one of their better engines and he told them to hit the speed needed the engine would have to turn 1800 RPMs. They had never run an engine over 1200. The engine held together and away they went. Those were the days my friend.

8. Bill,
    Yeah, those were the days.
    The basic Banger motor has many basic flaws in the design, basic knowledge today, cutting edge 90 years ago.
    One Buddy and I were today we were talking about potential hp in one of these motors and what we could do to get more. It was interesting, and I will be looking into cyl head design, among other things.

J

9. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I have used one of these switches from Snyders with my FSI distributor. Not the cheapest switch, but it has an accessory terminal, and fits in the stock location in the instrument panel. It is a high quality switch and works well. I have heard of others using the cheaper switches, and the contacts are crap, and sometimes they need to be modified to fit properly and not short out behind the instrument panel.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/re-pop-switch-with-accessory-terminal

As for the wiring loom. I just bought a wiring loom with cloth wires from one of the Model A vendors such as Mikes, Snyders, MACs, Brattons etc.

10. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Thanks waxhead!

My concerns for the cloth covered plug wires are....

Should they be solid core or is there a specific kind / brand that work best with FSI distributors?

11. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

FSI recommend these spark plug wires which offer radio/noise suppression.
    http://www.fsignitions.com/SPARK_PLUG_WIRE_SET.html
    You could sleave them with cloth covers like these (they come in different sizes)
    http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...-black-flexible-cloth-sold-by-the-foot-1.html

Or you could try these which are suitable for electronic ignition
    http://www.thehotrodcompany.com/shopnow/show_dept.asp?dept_id=66&filterkey=bsp
    https://www.brillman.com/store/configurable_product_detail/7.8mm-cotton-braid-spark-plug-wire

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Header is ready for the jalopy showdown
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431262271.281933.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431262295.432897.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431262311.250621.jpg
    Made Paul a real quick EX out of some stuff I had kicking around.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431262437.727114.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431262452.628533.jpg

Winzy, gwhite, ROCKER77 and 3 others like this.
  13. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Very nice work BCCHOPIT

14. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

15. noboD

noboD

What filler did you use on the header, silicone bronze?

16. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

17. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Only on the out side of the flange

18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

trust me , this guy does really good work ..........

19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

not much interest this month . must be spring ....

20. Or just getting ready to go racing..........ElMo this weekend

ROCKER77 likes this.
  21. 97

It's Fall ( Autumn) here! ;) winter coming on rapidly .

And thank you John,:D:D:D please don't remind us poor unfortunates at the bottom of the world that we are missing opening weekend.....AGAIN.:eek::eek:
    Hope to get to El Mirage for a couple of dusty Sundays this year, and maybe Speedweek.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  22. Not to state the obvious.........
    Dead of Winter is a perfect time to visit Bonneville.
    You don't get the full effect of LandSpeed racing unless you have the ElMo dust foundation in your sinuses to counter-act the salt. Mix in a little ERC fuel and nitro fumes and you have the makings of a respiratory cocktail that your Doctor will never figure out............
    See, and I thought it was just a mental deficiency that kept me going back.

23. 97

Agreed, I used to be there regularly, (endless summers) but in recent years I have been full time caring for my ailing and elderly father and therefore unable to leave NZ . I will return, but not for next weekend . You can bet I will be visiting your pits for a close up view of that banger, I do manage to get a serving of "pop" crewing a nostalgia funny car here during our summer .

24. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  25. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

There is some serious CNC time in the cover! NICE!

26. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

But it have it shipped to my house and I will ship it to you.

27. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Thanks for the offer, I might just take you up on that. I will probably PM you in the next couple of days.

BCCHOPIT likes this.

28. Is someone making these? Wonder if you can get a B one.

29. 97,
    You are more than Welcome to hang with us when you come visit.
    We might just be able to find some "Adult pop" too.
    Will update here when we get settled back next week.

J

30. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

ONCE AGAIN I get no post notifications