Register now to get rid of these ads!

Max fuel pressure for Carter AFB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjet, Mar 25, 2012.

1. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I finally got my dual quad setup done. When I leak checked the plumbing, the rear carb was massively dumping fuel from the top.

I checked the floats. They are set correctly. Will a constant 7 psi leak past a closed needle & seat?

BTW, I'm gonna take them back apart & recheck to make sure there is nothing in the way.

I'm thinking about getting some spring-loaded needle & seat assemblies.

Anyone use those?

Attached Files:

2. Deuces

Deuces

3-4 psi max!...

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I'm running a 6 pound Carter electric pump into the two four Edlebrock carbs on my sbf. No regulator and am getting a full 6 psi to the carbs. No problem with flooding but I don't sit there and let the pump run without the motor running either.

This will be a dumb question, but what is that red canister?

Don

4. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Also, the fuel was leaking from this little hole (see arrow)

Not sure about any differences between Carter & Edelbrock, but they are Carter's, & these are the p/n's:
    Rear: 4758
    Front: 4761

Attached Files:

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'd set them to about 5psi max, sometimes you will get away with a little more, but more often than not you'll end up with an issue at some point.

6. shocker998md

shocker998md

I know my edelbrock likes 4-5 psi. I think the guys name on here is Karb king, he knows carters like its his job, im pretty sure it is his job though. Either look him up or maybe he will chime in since you listed carter in the title.

7. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I'm thinking the the pressure is way too much, but I don't have this prob with my Q-jet. Front carb was ok

That red thing is a fuel filter. I'm using that one because it has 1 inlet & 2 outlets. I may get it powdercoated black later

8. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Tjet,
    Like was stated 3-4 psi with stock needle and seats. I use the Edelbrock Hi-Po needle and seat assemblies that I get from Jegs or Summit. They are available everywhere. With those needle and seast you can run up to 18 psi without a problem. I have to use them because I run a blower and if the boost goes higher than the fuel pressure no fuel gets into the carbs. I run a 26 psi max Paxton Novi 2000 and a Holley Blue fuel pump with a boost corrected regulator. We run 7 psi at idle and 14 psi at 10 psi boost. Never had a problem with the hi-po needles which are I believe teflon tipped. Not even when we add a little helper to the fuel.
    Dan

9. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

10. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Ok, I took apart the rear carb to have a look inside.

Floats were set properly & both needle & seat assemblies worked as they should.

I swapped out the needle & seats anyway. I'm going to try out these "spring loaded" assemblies. I guess Carter made these for marine use & off road applications. They allow the floats to move up & down a little while still keeping the needle closed if the fuel bowl is full. I needed to readjust the float height to 5/16" to account for the springyness of these.

The new spring loaded ones are a 2 piece assy with a spring that goes in the inside (see pics)
    Top pic shows the standard needle without the spring

I'm not gonna mention the flack I caught about the fuel smell in the dining room :D I figured it was safer than the basement - that's where the furnace is (Kaa-Boooom)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  11. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Just a quick update:
    I tested them again with the spring loaded needle and seats.
    Held a constant 6 psi no problem. No leaks or flooding.
    I also was able to tune both and set the mixture one at a time on my other car.

Thx for all the replys

12. :eek:Carbs and gas in the dining room....nice:rolleyes: