Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Matranga Mercury at the 1951 Oakland Roadster show

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, May 4, 2011.

1. Exactly. I always thought that this picture was taken at one of the Los Angeles Armory shows since all of the military equipment in the background.

Im Don Montgomery's book "Hot Rod Memories" relived again,there is a picture of Sams merc at this show with trophies on the hood.There is a ton of military equipment in the background and even a fighter plane in the building.Its just weird that in any of the other pictures of the building(like Matranga's pictures) we cant see any of the military euipment.Did they really bring all that military stuff inside the building at the Roadster show?

Rik,I dont scan so if you want to post the picture it's on page 173 of the book I mentioned but im sure you already know that.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  2. I guess the whole other side of the building was lined with Military equipment and even a plane.

3. Where was the show held in Oakland back then?

4. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

VERY interesting stuff! ....love reading about all the details and research you guys do on the History of these amazing cars and their heritage. Thanks to you all for your dedication and intensity. Why I love the HAMB.

5. Rikster

Rikster

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  6. Rikster

Rikster

Yes, Ron's scans of the 1951 Roadster Show program changed it all in a very interesting way...

Ron has send me some very cool old photo in the last couple of weeks... those got me really going. And perhaps those made me start this whole thread. So we have to Thank RON a lot for doing all of this.

7. 53chevy

53chevy

Show was held at Naval Air Station Alameda. Awesome work Rik!!!! You always go beyond the norm with you Custom threads. Thank You.

Ken

8. I guess that would explain the aircraft and military equipment.

Rik I saw your post before you edited it and although the HAMB seems to be populated with a far greater number of Hotrod guys as compared to Custom guys as one of those here primarily for the customs I have to say I really appreciate the effort that guys like Ron, Jeff and yourself put into these threads about the history of customs and the custom scene. I don't care if they are on page 50 I look forward to every new post and thread in all the great custom threads that have been started.

9. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks...

10. 53chevy

53chevy

Oh! Marcia Campbell was very instrumental in photographing Customs back then. I knew of her '49 Chevrolet Carson Custom and '42 Ford, never saw that photo with her standing next to it. She had great taste in Customs. Her photos can been seen in the Custom Annuals and magazines of that era.

Ken

RiotPirate likes this.
  11. Rikster

Rikster

The new/current issue #51 of The Rodder's Journal has the full story on Marcia, including a full double page wide photo of Marcia standing next to here 1942 Ford. With out Marcia we would have missed a lot of fantastic customs from the 1949-52 era.

12. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

HAHAHAHAH!!! al customs had drip rails. HAHAHAHAHA!!!

this indeed is an amazing thread. thanks RIK for starting it!! thanks to everyone elso who have contributed to it!!! i just love seeing all this amazing stuff. my uncles on my side and uncles on my wifes side use to go by all the shops when there were teens. so i got to hear great stories from them.

13. Rikster

Rikster

These shows were held at the Exposition Building on the corner of 10th and Fallon Street in Oakland California.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  14. This thread is what its all about........ Rik how do you feel about the early mercs now? This thread has me more confused and has raised up more questions then before.

Thanks Ron for the scans of the programs. :)

15. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

This thread is awesome. Thanks Rik for another great history lesson.

(Now I'm even more excited to get the new Rodder's Journal.)

16. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

just got my copy in the mail today. ONE OF THE BEST ARTICLES I'VE EVER READ!!!!! AMAZING JOB RIK!!!!!

17. It is really back up in the air again isn't it.

One would think that Jerry's car would have been pictured on the wall if it was on the street but maybe they didn't want to put it up if it was still in primer so it may or may not have been done at this point. :confused:

I bet Sam's rolled straight from the upholstery shop to the show so although it was done it was probably just done. It was probably a mad thrash to get it ready for the show.

One thing seems to be certain that there was a number of high profile Mercs coming out of the shops within a very small period of time at the beginning of 1951. Must have been so cool.

The mystery continues!:D

18. Rikster

Rikster

19. Rikster

Rikster

My Thoughts as well...
    I'm happy its now finally clear to all that Sam Barris had his 1949 Mercury Custom at the 1951 Oakland Roadster show at the end of February... fully finished. And that Jerry Quesnel's 1949 Mercury was in primer at the 1951 Montebello Tent show (exact dates unknown, but probably early 1951?) And that Wally Welch had his 1950 Mercury all finished at the Pan Pacific Autorama Show in November 1951.

20. Yes ! Very good points,its makes me wish I had more info on the Montebello show.We know the timeline of that show was somewhere early to mid 51 and I just wonder why Sam's car wasnt there since Lopez,Matranga,Stewart,etc were there.This is heavy stuff.

21. Yes ! At least those are some hard facts we now know.I wish there was a way to find out when they SHOT the pictures for the Popular Science magazine that came out in October 51.

22. Would Sam have already sold his Merc by the time of the Montebello show?

I thought he stuck the deal at the show so even if the Montabello show was a month later Sam's car would have been off to Indy no?

Makes you wonder though if the pictures of it for the Popular Sciene cover were done before the show or just after. Maybe it was done a while before the show.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  23. Was the Welch car done before the Bettancourt Merc?

24. Rikster

Rikster

Popular Science?

Or Motor Trend?

[​IMG]

25. Rikster

Rikster

Unsure... all we know is that the Bettancourt Merc was at the 1952 Motorama show...

26. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

i would have to think this was taken in like maybe sept or early oct. there isn't a lot of snow on the mountain there. just my guess. i suck at guessing any ways.

27. LOL Motor Trend.:eek: I have a popular science on my desk right now must have leeched into my typing. Haha maybe it was Jeff that put it in my head from his post above.

28. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

exciting thread!!

29. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

The Snow photo was take in the San Bernardino Mountains.. The Barris's like to venture off to Big Bear not sure when the photo was taken tho..Possibly October / November... George later bought a cabin in big bear where they spent allot of time.

30. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Great interesting reading, it should be given the term " Autology ";)