Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Matchstick men

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Nov 3, 2017.

1. scotts52

scotts52

I was watching matchstick men and in one seen, they're coming out of a restaurant and there is an interesting looking black car behind them and to the right. I was wondering if anyone has seen this movie and knows what car it is.

2. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

black car? 4 wheels? I've seen it, only when I saw it, it was yellow with a blower....crazy

anyway please take that as a joke...maybe a screen shot of the movie will help?

3. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

4. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

untitled.png

1961 Dual Ghia form the interweb

5. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

So I was reading this thread about the Matchstick Men Movie and SDhotrod had an avatar with a shoebox Ford jumping a copcar... what's the story with that awesome pic?!;)

6. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

was it black?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

As a matter of fact, it was.

In all seriousness, that pic looks like the moment just before tragedy strikes.

8. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

The flying shoebox is also from a movie. An old B movie called Downbeat(Daddy-O) 1958.
    943457_388743757905593_364152435_n.jpg

RMR&C, chryslerfan55 and Nostrebor like this.
  9. People who work in movie making, production companies, etc., do this from time to time. they know all the tricks on how to purchase vehicles (and other items) as props and purchase them from the "company" later at a used or depreciated cost. They also know how to rent items to the "company" as props, create "holding companies" that have ownership, set up non-profit "collections" and many other dubious practices.

10. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

look at the doors tied together so they don't pop open? after the jump....big time air

belair likes this.
  11. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Just a bit more lift and he might achieve orbit. I'm sure the bounce was a bonebreaker!

12. scotts52

scotts52

Yep, that's the car. A dual Ghia. Huh. Very interesting. The one in the movie is definitely hot rodded.

13. I can almost hear that flathead screaming as it came off that ramp.
    I wonder how long of a run it needed
    Straight to the wrecking yard.
    Sorry to hijack the Dual Ghia thingy thread.

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Looks like a cross between an early Barracuda and a Studebaker.

RMR&C and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Yeah, sorry about the thread hijack. It's not every day you see a 49 Ford in a full Superman. I had to ask.

I'm trying to love that Dual Ghia. It's... difficult.:eek:

Edit: found some photos on the Googles. It's growing on me. The interior is stunning. The exterior is early 60's! It's a beautifully restored car regardless.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    RMR&C likes this.
  16. I'd tint the windows and love it.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

1961-1963 Ghia L.6.4 (Dual-Ghia Coupe)
    [​IMG]
    This car was made by Casaroll and company. Production was only 26 cars, built only as a glassy two-door hardtop with styling by Ghia. The front was like the earlier Dual-Ghia. The model designation relates to the displacement, in liters, of the Chrysler 383-cid wedgehead V8, but there were fewer Mopar components (including the separate chassis, which was now a special design as Chrysler had switched to unit construction for all its cars except Imperial in 1960). Twice as costly as its predecessor and faster but softer riding, with handling not as taut as that of the earlier cars. But svelte good looks made up for a lot, and everybody who was anybody wanted one. Again, however, incredibly high overhead costs plagued the project, and Casaroll called it quits after a mere handful of cars were built. He would go on to play a role in the project that led to a new Stutz, born out of Virgil Exner's proposal for a modern Duesenberg.

17. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The less attractive 58,and the kind of buyer who could afford one.

Attached Files:

18. e z i

e z i

Dang! I thought you were talking about Status quo!