Register now to get rid of these ads!

Master Cylinder question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubbyTom, Nov 28, 2012.

1. tubbyTom

tubbyTom

My model A has 56 Ford drum brakes in front, 57 Chev drum in the rear. It has a 62 Chev single(1 1/8" bore) firewall mounted master. The pedal ratio is bad and the car barely stops! I want to put an under floor frame mounted dual master, without a booster. I am hoping that by choosing the right bore master along with the proper pedal ratio, that I can get these brakes to stop. (If not I will put disc on front-but really don't want to) What size bore would work best? Any other suggestions?

2. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

A smaller bore MC will give higher PSI, but not as much volume. Disc brakes require more volume. Since you have drum brakes you cauld try a 1" or 7/8" MC.

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Pretty sure both those applications used a 1" bore master, bigger would require more foot pressure to stop. Also, if you have the room, you should try for at least a 6:1 pedal ratio without a booster.

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

With the correct pedal ratio [6-1] a 1" bore cylinder would be just right ,7/8 would make for light pedal effort . But you may not like the pedal travel with a 7/8s MC.

5. rustyangels

rustyangels

Maybe a dumb question, but do the leading brake shoes have the shorter lining?

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, the leading shoe on '56 Ford (Bendix) brakes has the shorter lining.