Register now to get rid of these ads!

master cylinder bore size question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drptop70ss, Dec 19, 2013.

1. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Can someone either confirm my assumptions here or suggest a change? I am building a 1951 Ford F1 and have installed a 1986 jag IFS with the dual piston calipers on the front and a late 1970s camaro rear. I am trying to get the best compromise here on what will work as far as a master cylinder. Brakes are power.

Originally the 1970s camaro used a 1 1/8" bore master (wheel cylinders are 15/16")

86 Jaguar I believe used a 15/16" bore master (unknown caliper piston size up front, have to measure)

I am using a 1995 camaro booster and master cylinder with a 1" bore (came with 2 1/2" front caliper piston and rear wheel cylinders 13/16")<p> According to rock auto the same master cylinder is used for both disc brake rear and drum brake rear cars so I should be ok there. <p>I assume I will be putting more than original pressure to the rear wheel cylinders with less volume, and with their larger bore they are going to stop faster (but maybe not with the less volume?)Up front I am putting out less than original pressure to the front calipers which is going to make them slower to respond (but not enough to matter?) I do not know the jag caliper bore size to compare to the camaro (camaro fronts were 2 1/2"). Should I look for a different diameter bore master cylinder or will the 1" work?<p> there are enough chevy parts out there that I could probably find smaller 13/16" wheel cylinders for the rear if it is a major mismatch using the 15/16".

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  2. Put it together as is, it seems to be close enough to be able to tune.

You won't be able to easily change front cylinder size, so concentrate on the rear, once you're sure the front is working OK. The power booster will help, but what is your pedal ratio?? If using the Camaro pedal assy, you'll be fine.

Smaller rear cylinders will lessen rear braking force; larger, increases.

Last resort is smaller master, which will increase front force with existing wheel cylinders.

Cosmo

3. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Thanks, just thinking about it I should be able to find smaller 13/16" bore rear wheel cylinders if needed to slow down the rear braking. Chevy used enough applications that they must be out there, the original 1995 camaro ones may or may not fit, have to check the mounting pattern (7.5 rear vs 8.5)<p>I am using the camaro pedal set that is matched to the booster and master.