Register now to get rid of these ads!

Maryland HAMBer's please read and heed SEMA annoucement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pwschuh, Feb 15, 2012.

1. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa_2012MD2&g=SEMAGA

We don't really need our state legislators making our hobby harder. For us it's not really the year issue (25 vs. 20 years to qualify) but it's all the other restrictions that go along with it that will impact us. Send some e-mails this week.

2. It looks like this bill is a miss-directed effort to stop those people who are abusing the Historic plates in particular. I know I see a lot of cars that are being used as daily transportation by drivers with Historic plates. I see a lot of Ford F-100s loaded down with ladders and paint cans being used as work trucks as well. Unfortunately any of us who legitimately use our cars for their intended purpose (driven occasionally) are going to suffer if this bill becomes law. Thanks, John, for posting the above information. I urge all of you to contact, whether by e-mail or phone, your appropriate representatives. Thanks, Don.

3. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

A few clarifications. Correct me if i'm wrong. Also i think this new proposal is horseflop. Anyways....

1) First off, i don't think the first bulletpoint is correct; Historic plated cars ARE allowed to be daily transportation----it's the "street rod" plates that can only be used for parades/"occasional pleasure driving" (whatever that means...) etc.

a) The eligibility for street rod plates already is 25 years old. (?)

2) What the historic plates allow you to do is when you buy a 20yr or older car, bypass the initial inspection requirement (when you buy a used car, md requires a safety inspection to be passed before plates can be issued) and bypass the emissions testing requirement----now you can install dual exhaust w/out converters.

The insurance is the same.

Not to mention the historic registration costs much less---$50 vs. $200 for 2 years (not exactly sure)

a) As far as the abusing, i don't see too much of it; There are plenty of 93-2000 for example mercury villagers (the ultimate loser car) that are rolling junk. Whereas MOST of the historic plated are in acceptable condition. Admittedly i can't tell the condition of the brakes on either examples.......

The street rod plated cars tend to be in excellent condition, but the bill really doesn't affect these cars.

Since md only requires an inspection to be done when a car is being re-registered and plated by a different owner (non relative---here is another loophole) then i think a good compromise would be to require another inspection if the car is being replated to historic or street rod status.

4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WRONG !!! Why require an inspection when one is not needed now. A fair example would be my car. 26T body...custom frame, aftermarket axle, old Ford 9 Inch rear, small block chevy motor. What standards could they inspect ? I have Buick front drum brakes and Ford Drum rear brakes. again, what standard to use ?

I'm not trying to be a jerk. The state of Maryland is interested in one thing.....MONEY !!!!!! They understand that most of the cars plated with specialty plates are very low annual mileage and treated like gold. Most of us don't beat the shit out of our cars on the street. They simple want more money and this is another place to look.

5. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

I sent a email yesterday and the only reply was a automated one from Kelly Schulz also.(same email as hrm2k) Nothing from no one else ...

Steve

6. Thanks, John, for clearing things up for this poster. I have not a clue as to where his information is coming from. These special use plates have NEVER to my knowledge been meant to be used for daily transportation. That's always been pretty clear-cut. I just always hate it when I see people abusing the law because it ultimately re-focuses attention on those of us who try to respect the law, at least to some extent ...Don.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  7. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Correct, and what I pointed out to the state reps in my e-mail was that if the police observed someone using their historic/street rod plated car for routine commuting duties, they can already be cited under current laws. That last thing Maryland needs is more laws.

8. I was under the impression that to have a historic plate you had to have another car registered with the MVA but I can tell you some of the cars I see registered I bet its the only car they own. ie a young dude in a 86 Mustang. Good bet its his only car. They're beating the inspection law. In down town Annapolis a 1976 Buick 225 rusted to hell not a matching tire on it and I can tell by looking at the guy its his only car. That's the shit that winds me up. Sorry for the rant.

9. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bump. Marylanders, if you haven't done this yet, please get on it.

10. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

11. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

(UPDATE)

Maryland Historic Vehicle Registration Bills Likely to be Set Aside for Summer Study

The SEMA Action Network has learned that the Maryland House Environmental Matters Committee will likely not take further action this year on legislation (H.B. 550) that originally threatened to further limit the use of “historic motor vehicles.” A final action could be taken today (March 8, 2012) to set the bill aside for a summer study. The Senate will follow suit. Often, these studies are where bad bills go to die. However, we have committed to Del. Kirill Reznik that we will continue to participate in efforts to help enact an amended version of H.B. 550 next year that will allow these vehicles to continue to be eligible for the historic class upon their 20th year; not require collector insurance policies and retain the “occasional use” provision.
    Make no mistake about it; this decision by the committee represents a significant victory for the collector car hobby in Maryland. Your voices, e-mails and committee testimony were heard!
    Thank you and congratulations to all who participated in opposing this bill!

From a Sema Action Network E-Mail

12. While I am not a MD resident, I am right behind you! It is wonderful to see people who take this hobby seriously taking action. hrm2k, your email said it all, hot rods and historic vehicles are but a drop in the bucket. It is sad to see states go and pick on a group that takes care of their vehicles. The state should focus on those 80's and newer cars that are being run into the ground.

13. ........Hopefully that will be the case this time.