Register now to get rid of these ads!

Marvel Misery Oil and sticky lifters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by <FANG>, Sep 15, 2011.

1. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

Anyone had experience with marvel mystery oil and sticky lifters ???

2. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Yes, I bought new lifters. ;)

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I pretty much use it to soak-break loose stuck pistons and rings BUT it did free up a stuck valve in my old flathead Ford V8 too.

4. Try a half quart of transmission fluid in the oil.... Run for a few miles then change oil...

5. Master of None

Master of None

I use type F tranny fluid. Put a half to a full quart in with the oil. Just make sure you subtract the oil that is in the motor with the trans fluid you added. It took a few hundred miles but it unstuck my sticky valves and lifters in my 289 Ford. I also put a little in my gas to lube the valves up from the other direction.

6. 56oldssuper88

56oldssuper88

Same. Works great breaking loose pistons and etc.

7. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Don't know that they are still made, but Bardahl or Rizlone used to work OK in the oil.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

One time I put a quart of MMO in my girlfriends Honda and within a block the rpms went from about 800 to 2000. I don't know if it freed stuff up or if the vapors from it screwed up some sensor the triggered the computer to make it idle faster. After a while the rpms settled back down but she was not happy with me playing games with her car. I called MMO and they said they have never heard of that happening.

Don

9. customs by jason

customs by jason

i had good luck with seafoam deep creek just sprayed them real good let them set for a little and sprayed again took about half a can and they freed up. did that on valves and springs also once

10. whid

whid

back in the day my mom...yes mom , had a 73 mach 1 ..had a lifter peckin....i worked for a pair of crusty old turds who owned a sohio station and did mechanic work...he told me to go out back and get a quart of kerosene out of the tank and dump in the motor...i asked him how long to leave it in ? he said til it quits....it idled maybe 10 -15 mins but it did quit....changed the oil and never had another issue with it.......whid

11. Willy301

Willy301

I have used Marvel, but prefer Rislone for sticky lifters.

12. In the 60's, we used to 'pickle' a motor by pouring Marvel down the carburetor and choke it out. Some motors would sit 4 years or more, but you could put it back in a car and still have a decent motor. Rislone is great for sticky lifters. If you can find Siloo, its good also.

13. the type F and drive with it inn and when changeing use a 1/2 can of seafoam, run if for a short ways and then change , oil stays clean after that;)
    i run diesel oil and it seems to get quite black
    but my engines seem to be clean inside

14. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

I have always mixed marvel mystery oil in the oil on all my engines

15. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I used it in my flathead. The car sat since '76, but the motor turned fine. I had four lifters sticking, causing no compression in two of the six cylinders. The lifters would open but stay in the up position. I ended up pulling the head and pouring MMO into the open valves, then I spun the valves using channel locks. After two days the valves started to pop back down on there own. I torqued the head back down poured the MMO into the crank case AND put some in my gas tank then let the car run for a half hour. Worked like a charm.

16. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

On an engine made in the last 60 years or so it hard to make a case for putting it in the gas.

17. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

freed up a 283 that was stuck
    upper cylinder lubrication

18. northerndave

northerndave
    from Badger MN

I've had experience with both, but never both at the same time.

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm with you. I had a 65 Pontiac that sat for well over a year and the valves were all messed up. I put a quart of Rislone in it and took it for a drive around the beltway. It was spitting and sputtering for about the first 3 exit ramps. The more I drove it the better it got when I got back it was purring like a kitten again. If in fact, the problem is gummed up sticky lifters, Rislone will clean it up and straighten it out. I use the Marvel M.O. for gummed up rings. It works too but it seemed to take longer for the rings to free up.

20. That is what I have always done myself. Do not use Type F tranny fluid.

21. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, Rislone or even better, GM EOS--engine oil supplement. Get it at your GM dealer's parts counter, it cleans up stickey lifters fast and good-pour it in the oil and go for a drive.

22. Run it in the flatty all the time also agree with Pork and Beaner about not using the tranny fluid.

23. Larry T

Larry T

One of the few "Mechanic in a Can" products that I'll use. I've had good luck with it on sticky lifters and valves. I'll dump a pint in to the crankcase and run it for a while before I change the oil in engines with a bad sludge problem too.

I'm sure there are other high detergent products that work as well, but it's worked for me since the 70's so I'm not in any big hurry to try something else.
    Larry T

24. OK, I'll bite, what is the issue with Tranny fluid? and I don't mean the Hollywood kind....

It is just mineral oil, on a dull night getting someone to drink it can be quite entertaining.

J

25. DPC Racing

DPC Racing

On small block chev I have had luck with spraying carb cleaner with a small tube down the push rod hole on rocker arm and running it.
    Good Luck
    Dan

26. john walker

john walker

i use motor purr. best stuff ever.

Attached Files:

27. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

I use marvel in my fuel in my racecars. Seems the modern fuel is too dry to keep a carb working properly. I had big problems with sticking floats till I started adding marvel to the fuel. The last new car built with a carb was in 1996. modern fuels works good in injected cars but my experience it has trouble with carbs.
    If one of my cars has carbs it gets marvel in the fuel and the oil.

28. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

just a note, in the old days 1928 or so chevy sixes had no pressurized oil to the rockers/top end/top cylinder. The driver was supposed to oil them ever few hours... Marvel was a top cylinder lubricant for just that purpose.

29. That is one of those I don't know why it works just that it does things. I have also used rislone and bardahl with good results, but I stick by tranny fluid because it works for me and I usually have some in the garage.

This is a side trip for sure and sometimes a rabbit trail will get you into trouble. Never the less I think that the alcohol in the fuel is the major culprit with modern fuel. I have no scientific proof just a gut feeling, but I still believe that alcohol is the culprit.

Unlike many other racers I have always used top oil in my alchy burners. An old guy told me too when I was a young guy and I have just stuck by it. Just one of those rituals I suppose.

30. Dakota Boy

Dakota Boy
    from Racine, WI

Rislone worked for me. sticky lifter issue solved.