Register now to get rid of these ads!

Marshalltown/Lennox Thoatless Rotary Shear Questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NealinCA, Dec 3, 2011.

1. NealinCA

NealinCA

I just picked up an old 12 ga capacity Marshalltown/Lennox throatless rotary shear. I am looking for some info from others who may have one...or have experience with one.

How do you adjust the dies, etc. How well do they work?

Just looking for more info...

Thanks,

Neal

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

You might ask this question on Metalmeet.com

3. NealinCA

NealinCA

Thanks for the suggestion...I'll give that a try.

Here are some pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Neal

4. 1932tub

1932tub

Looks like the adjustment is on the bottom wheel. Neat find.

5. NealinCA

NealinCA

Yes, it is. It adjusts in and out...and up and down. The dies need to be reground (looking for someone to do that too)...so maybe after that is done, it will be easier to figure out the adjustment.

Neal

6. As I was reading and looking at the picture ,my mind is saying in/out up/down,and than I read the next post. I had a friend tune up my beverly throatlless shear he honed the blades and just moved them until It cut good. That thing looks real handy.

7. NealinCA

NealinCA

Yea...I see how to make the adjustments...I was just looking for some clues on what the clearance and overlap should be. Like you said...maybe I just fiddle with it until it cuts good.

Neal

8. NealinCA

NealinCA

Bttt for the Monday morning crowd...

9. alchemy

alchemy

That thing is OLD! The Marshalltown Company hasn't made things like that for as long as I've been around (they make trowels and such now), and Lennox makes furnaces and air conditioners.

Good luck.

10. 1932tub

1932tub

It works on the same principle as my circle cutter, I grind the wheels on my valve refacer, works fine.

11. NealinCA

NealinCA

It can't be that old...they patented the design in '95...;)

12. alchemy

alchemy

Well, I am just a kid.

13. grabrr

grabrr

Wow, that's pretty cool!
    So, that would have been built by the Lennox furnace company, in Marshalltown? They been located there for quite a few years, and have made other products other than furnaces over the years....I only know this since I'm a Lennox furnace guy :)
    Lennox has been in business since 1895.

14. NealinCA

NealinCA

15. No, Dave Lennox, the guy who also founded the furnace company patented improvements to a rotary shear way back in the early 1900s. He had his hands in a bunch of different stuff. Another company in town, Marshalltown Manufacturing, made this shear. I wouldn't be surprised if the furnace company wound up using a bunch of them, though.

If you do a patent search for David Lennox on Google (or the like) you can find some of the shear patents he had.

16. Sorry to rekindle such an old thread, but I just picked this guy up this past weekend. As well as a whole slew of vintage sheet metal equipment for the shop.

This is a Marshalltown Manufacturing Lennox Throatless shear - model 16BM. I am guessing the "xM" is for motor?
    IMG_7490.JPG IMG_7491.JPG IMG_7492.JPG IMG_7493.JPG