Register now to get rid of these ads!

Marine Hemi Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crystal Blue, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

I recieved an email from a new member last night (Perry-Stockholm).

I did a search, but I couldn't find anything that directly answered his

question.

"Is there any difference between a Marine Chrysler block and heads and a car"

I'm not sure if he's talking about a bare block and heads. So I'll leave the

answers to the Hemi guru's to help him out.

2. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The marine engine is based on the truck block and heads. Some are reverse rotation. The crankshafts have no step for a timing gear.
    BEWARE OF SALT WATER MARINE ENGINES.

3. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I remember right. Truck/marine/ind. motors were different in the fact that they did or didn't have water passages in the intake. I just can't remember for sure. And my go to guy on this has passed away. However you can call Hot Heads in N.C. He likes to talk early hemi and knows.

4. Perry-Stockholm

Perry-Stockholm
    from Sweden

Thank you for quick answers and support! I am interested in a 392 Hemi here in Sweden. It showes up that it was from a boat so I get suspicious. I will call Hot Heads. :)

5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

TR, I have a 270 Dodge Royal V Special M-44-S marine engine that I was going to tear down and put in a hot rod. If the crank does not have the step for the cam gear does anybody make a sleeve or collar or can it be modified to except one?
    Sorry to hyjack the OP but maybe the answer would help others................

6. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

If it is actually a 392, it is not a marine engine. It is a car engine that was put into a boat.

Nothing against calling HotHeads, but you can find all the information you need about early hemis right here.

7. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

To be honest, I have never owned a Dodge marine engine. My guess is that it probably uses a car crankshaft. Does yours drive off the front of the engine, or off the flywheel side?

On the Chryslers, the step is very small. Too small for a sleeve. Plus the crank does not have the correct keyway for the gear. You could use a billet timing chain set, and weld up the ID of the lower gear...broach the keyway for the existing key in the crank, and remark for TDC.

8. Perry-Stockholm

Perry-Stockholm
    from Sweden

Yes, it should be a 392 with some Hop-up stuff included. TR Waters, so you think the engine is a car-engine. Sounds good! Thanks! //Perry

9. George

George

IF it's a 392, it's a car engine. No 392 truck/Marine/Ind engines from the factory. There'll be a use code in front of the valley cover on a flat, post it. Marine engines usually have a metal tag attached somewhere with a code on it.

10. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

99.99999% sure. I never say 100% with Mopar. :D

Are you sure it is a 392?

11. 73RR

73RR

12. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

Friend of mine had (might still have) a flathead 6 Chrysler marine engine. He tried for years to sell that thing since it was a reverse rotation.