Register now to get rid of these ads!

March banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V4F, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Well, I probably would as I have a nice set already, but I was just curious more than anything.

2. Sorry, didn't notice the link :D
    Thanks!

3. Elrod

Elrod

Axle - 31
    King pins - 31
    Brake actuators - 31
    Backing Plates and Brake Drums - 31
    Spring perch - 32
    Spindles - 32

Use 32 King Pins with 32 Brake Actuators. Use 31 King Pins with 31 Brake Actuators.

[​IMG]

4. Thanks Elrod, that breaks it down for me!

5. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I have finally installed the SR-D Winfield on the banger in my coupe and early reports are all good. Needs a little fine tuning but it certainly feels a lot stronger than when the little SR-B was on there. Need to get it out on a run outside of town to see what it can really do. It was that good a day that even the sun came out for long enough for me to take a couple of pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Looks great Wrong-un. I can't wait to bolt the SR I have on the A and see what it'll do.

Whats with the Cali plates?

7. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Hey Chris,

It's a little something we're unoficially allowed to get away with over here. In my opinion British plates spoil the look of American cars and hot rods so I pick a year that matches the cars style and have plates made to suit. The Chevy is from California anyway and the A has plenty of bits from over there so it's not too much in the way of bullshit. Bit of harmless fun that's all.

Good luck with that Winfield, any idea of an installation date?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  8. Oh, I wasn't poking fun or anything, I just wondered is all. A lot of "tuners" and German car guys over here run plates that match their car on the front...I don't think it's legal, but I see it every once and a while.

I'm going to get the roadster running/driving shortly, and will play with the carb from there. Probably for the next Banger meet or so.

9. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I didn't think you were poking fun for a moment. The water cooled VW boys over here seem to like german style plates too.

10. Elrod

Elrod

That IS cool that you're running the California plate in England!!! Congrats on getting the SR-D up and running!

11. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Ive had a few PM about this ,the ol fella lives around here I think, will find out and let you know,he sure had some very kool stuff.......:cool:

12. Were allowed to run year of car plates here. Pretty cool too, license it once, and it's done for life.

Your cars looking VERY cool!

13. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

14. Elrod, I saw the pic of your "A" on Chris' other post. How do you like the 4 into 2 header? Sound- Performance. What Brand is it? Thanks

15. Sure looks good. How does it idle? I would like to know what your final needle settings are. Are you using the pump?

16. Elrod

Elrod

Sent you a PM.

17. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

It idles fine. I have the idle screw at 1/2 a turn and idle set at around 700rpm. The intermediate is set at 3 turns and the high at 3 1/2 turns. If the intermediate is any lower there is hesitation on the response to the throttle as it comes off idle. The pump is blocked, though I'm thinking of trying of unblocked to see if that cures the problem and allows me to wind in the intermediate screw a little. Other than having a little play with the B you built for me this is all suck it and see. Great fun though!

18. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

Crank it up....that's what we're gonna do this year at Bonneville!

[​IMG]

Keven

19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

That is totaly bitchin!!!!!! I want one !!!!!!!!

Who is doing the machine work?

Why aren't the #2 & #4 mains turned?

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

Heres a picture showing the stainless steel header I made and the SU carburetors.
    Its running and driving but I still need to make the air cleaners and buy K&N filters

Attached Files:

21. manyolcars

manyolcars

Your A wheels bolt onto 1940 Ford drums and you can use self adjusting, self energizing parts with 2" shoes.
    I did this on my 31 and have 35 wheels on it now.

Attached Files:

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

You might consider using 16" radials designed for the all Electric RAV4.
    Thats what I am running.
    They have 1" more tread and were designed for low rolling resistance.
    As a bonus, they are less expensive than the original tires and tubes

23. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I actually meant to say spacers not adapters. For my '27 with 16 and 17 inchers I bought those rings from Tardel so the wires sit right on the juice drums. I was wanting to know if I needed them, I just picked the wrong word.

Thanks for answering my initial wrong question though.

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

millions of cars have driven millions of miles without those rings

25. 3 main engine would be my guess. Luke

26. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

If you are spending the money to have a crank made with 5 journals this is what you can do with it:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. TV

TV

Yep, you sure can!!! But we are not running on the street. That crank is just the way we wanted it. Stiff, and very strong.---TV

28. I LOVE it!!

I'd grind off all the 'Toy' markings, polish the cam covers, paint the block "Model A Ford Engine Green". put some old style yellow-braided sparkplug wires on it and tell everybody it's a "very exotic DOHC racing conversion for the Model A 4-Banger" and see if they can guess what brand it is! ;o) ;o) ;o)

JG

29. HotrodVon

HotrodVon

The reason we didn't go with five mains is that crank is for a flathead and they don't turn high rpm and a three main has less parasitic loss...

CrazydaddyO....you have a very nice crank and five main girdle set-up! If we ever run an overhead, we'll do the same thing your doing.

Keven