Register now to get rid of these ads!

March banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V4F, Mar 1, 2009.

1. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Plastic fan with a sinker attaced to it in the cowl would do the trick Kinda like an old windmill style

2. Would that be in the same thing as the guy riding on the fender squirting gas from a oil can into the carburetor?

3. Wildfire

Wildfire

Crazydaddyo and others... What are you guys using for header bolts or studs?

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

On my Flat head I used stock studs and nuts. The over headuses 3/8" bolts.

5. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I know about the 750 CC Austin Seven based reliant ,the sidevalve engines, but the OHV's were 848 CC weren't they? . Same engine in the Reliant Kitten ,a four wheel thing that looks like a suzuki 500 Hatch.
    They also race the Ford 1172's in the 750 club.:)
    Mr Bean is the man who revived the image of the relaint three wheeler to world and being a car guy,Rowan Atkinson was having a joke with his audiences because Reliant, in it's later years was owned by Bean Engineering. A very old company in the UK. :D

[​IMG]

6. Mr Bean drove a Mini. :confused:

7. Dirtnails, that would be great to see!!! Anyone else have info on this?

Bluto- great score on the ride for Mrs. B- not what I was thinking from our last conversation, but very nice... oh, and any more info on the delivery you just posted?

8. GARY?

GARY?

I've just been lurking on the banger meet lately but, I actually got a few things done on the T. I'll share...
    Windshield mounted, gas pedal assembly figured out, & the turtledeck and gas tank mounted. Small stuff but getting closer.
    Still need to pull the head and get it machined for piston clearance and shorten the driveshaft. Those are my major hurdles to getting this thing driving. Oh yeah, radiator and tags too.

Did anybody else watch the Weiand head on ebay not bust 350 bucks then see the buy-it-now go to 1600 bucks?

Wildfire, I'm using grade 5 studs from the hardware store, homemade adapter/spacers to fit the intake to the header surface, and grade 8 washers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  9. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

You may have only seen the movie ( the above supervan was in the first movie) but in his TV series there was always that blue van doing strange things,usually as a result of Mr. Beans driving. Back to the topic..:)

10. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

As Briggs Dad died when he wax only an Infant ( who would've thought that only a few years ago a man lived whose father was born 170 years ago! ) his mother raised him and his sister ,but Briggs wanted to go motor racing and was freindly with Ralph DePalma ,Whom he had met when Briggs mother financed the up grade of the Dyno at Yale university and De Palma used it to tune his Miller .
    He snuck out to race in car in secret so his mother wouldn't find out,thats why info is pretty scarce but I'll bet someone has info .

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Dirtynails

As I said 750 and 850 OHV Engines were produced

Here is a brief read on Reliant's history:

http://pages.zoom.co.uk/elvis/reliant.html

This explains it well.

The Little Van is a Rosengart LR4. This is the only LR4 Van known. There are a few LR2 and LR44

LR4 was a short production run. Less than 300 of all bodystyles produced. It is a very, very small truck. French copy of an Austin 7

12. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

Reverse port; not good for the street as it puts too much heat thru the 2 (former int) exh ports, very apt to crack the block, plus I doubt that a whole lot is gained. The Old Crow had a lot of changes inside, bring money!

About Dan Price; Do NOT refer to him as an SOSS guy, he might get violent if you do. He is a F.A.S.T. guy and proud of it.

13. Lookin good! I wanna ride :D

14. GARY?

GARY?

Thanks for the compliment Chris. I'm lovin' the project.

15. I use whatever I can find 4 of that are the right length

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

wildfire , on my lil 4 banger i use grade#8 studs & nuts ........... steve

17. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Like a French Dixie!

18. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Hey guys, I just wanted to show you my banger. I'm Chris' brother Corey. I bought this coupe a couple of years ago. I started chopping it, but then I moved. I still have to finish the top but I just hopped up the "A" motor a little bit (Winfield head, red's header, single down draft, Mag). So I thought I would show it to get some feed back. I fired it up today for the first time for more the 10 seconds. Let me hear what you guys think:)

Attached Files:

19. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

You guys suck:D:D:D:D
    very nice Corey are you keeping the fenders off?How much chop?send more pics please
    Bill

20. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Revere port didnt work that great on the salt. I would like to see some hp #s on it. It looked cool.

21. Nice to finally see you on the banger meet Corey! Also good to see pics of your engine. Hope that mag works out well for ya :D

22. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Austin,American Austin,Bantam, Dixi, Rosengart ...... All look the same but are very very different inside the engine and gearbox.

From what I've been able to find no one has done a parts interchange.

23. Tuumer

Tuumer
    from Finland

I have setup that looks pretty much same, Burns intake whit 97 and Vertex mag.
    I´m still thinking about head and headers...
    Hopefully my engine is running next summer.

Attached Files:

24. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

They are the same car. Briggs' book lists it as a Fronty, Finn's book captioned it as a HAL, and still others believe it is something else. I have both books and lean slightly towards thinking it is a HAL head.

Regardless, it has never been proven that Briggs raced the car, only sat in it for pictures, and at most possibly owned it. Had he started racing that car AND the Finn caption was correct, 1927 would have been the start of his career. As it stands, 1935 is only the only firm date that results/entries have been found for him.

Arguably, Briggs' most famous 4-banger was the Offy-engined Cunningham C6-R...one of his biggest failures thanks in part to the engine.

Cris

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  25. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

I chopped it 5"s. I'm Leaving the fenders off. I'm going to pretty much keep it how it is for now. I think it would be fun to Jalopy it around town. I will post more update pics.

26. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

I know with my intake,the flanges for mounting are different. The Intake and exhaust are different thicknesses. You would have to fab some kind of clamp to hold both down evenly. You should just toss a header on it:D

27. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

What do you mean it didn't work that great ??? I got the record at over 135 mph !
    And that's with a Winfield head and 2 Strombergs. I'd say it worked pretty good.

28. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Hi Cris,I have heard that too over the years,unfortunately most of his early days of racing were lost and the poor guy succumbed to Alzheimers so many historians have filled in gaps themselves...:(
    I wonder why he never used an Offy 6 banger in the C6 ?

29. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

Here we have an ancient Four cylinder powered racer parked away in a barn with several hundred other oldies.
    [​IMG]

30. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

It shared space with this..[​IMG]