Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods MANY OF US ARE BRAND LOYAL GUYS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 21, 2020.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Life would not be life without " The One That Got Away".

2. wicarnut

wicarnut

Diehard SBC engine guy, all my hobby cars w/ SBC/ a few BBC Chevys, Fords, Mercury. OT hobby cars, GM, Mopar, Import. Drivers, I was a loyal GM Guy for 25 years and will say they sold me a lot of expensive junk. I switched to Ford SUV, drivers, specifically Lincolns, drove them for many years, very few issues, best drivers I ever had. So I don't really have any great loyalty to any brand, I always try to buy car parts with names I know but most come tagged made in China or somewhere besides USA, on this subject, It is what it is. Times coming up to buy a new to me used SUV and will probably buy an import as what I've had so far have been excellent quality/reliability, just great vehicles.

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Don't understand the "brand loyalty" thing at all. While yea, most of my cars have been Chevrolets, I've also had other brands.

I have or have had all of the major brands of cameras, only had one (single) phone...so that doesn't count ! I have different brands of tools. I eat more than one brand of pizza, or burger.

The way I see it, you can severely limit yourself by limiting the brands that you will buy.
    Just don't get it.

Mike

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

How about another "Way Back Story"
    I kind of owned a 54 Vett for all of 5 days in 1963,long enough to get it running on all 6 cyl from the 5 it had,an mostly clean up the tiger n lion match that had happened inside,but Gator skin of gelcoat would need much more work latter. Never got pass day 5,I had traded my Full custom Henry J with Olds Rocket 88 power for the Vett,the kid screwed up my "J" after a few days,and his Dad had it towed to my house,told my Dad he was taking his sons Vett back an dropping off my screwed "J". Dad told me I had to do it,he didn't want to be sued. So when they were talking, I went out back n moved as many plug wires too other holes as I could,an dumped the trash can in the seats,went back to front of house an asked if they need help to hook it up to towtruck out back ? Dam kid had been showing off to his buddy's who I found out from later,turn key off an on,rev up to make backfire,after a number of times it blow out my 88s intake gasket=so it would no longer even start up. I never talked to that punk again. I still kind of like 53 an 54 Vett's though. Still have my Ford 28A from high school.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I am a Chevrolet guy I suppose, but I have owned Caddy's, Pontiacs, a few Fords and a Dodge. as far as numbers Datsun comes in second. Datsuns are going for crazy money now that I sold all mine... like my $500.00 510 wagon now worth $7,000 or so. just nutty since they are crappy little cars and trucks.

I just like old cars. my Cadillac and Dodge I bought mostly based on the condition. I like original paint old cars. if I had money I can't think of any old car I would not buy if price and condition were good. in my world there are no ugly cars from the factory.

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first car was a 1931 Model A that I paid $95.00 when I was 15 back in 1966. Ever since I was a Ford guy (along with some OT English cars) until I made the mistake of buying a brand new 2004 Ford 6.0 diesel. After that fiasco I swore never another new Ford. Of course I still have my '39 Ford p/u and a '54 Ford Ranch Wagon. Old Fords are fine just not another new one.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I know, I quoted myself.:oops:
    The really special ones though, are the ones we keep.

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

I Don't have a favorite brand but my first car related job was at a Chevy dealership so I tend to swap in Chevy parts.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I am a pontiac / gm guy, you would not have to twist my arm to hard to drive a 32 ford roadster, lol.

dana barlow, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have no brand loyalty at all. My old man was the proverbial "Oldsmobile Man" when I was growing up, so I was originally a "GM guy". The first new car I bought was a '67 Corvette coupe. I loved it. I bought several different GM products until the eighties when it became obvious that they (and their dealerships) didn't care one whit about their customers. In 1982 I bought a 1982 Dodge Rampage pickup. This was probably the car the I liked best (when it was new), but after a couple of years (literally) it rusted out in the oddest places. After that. it was a Ranchero Squire that I really liked and lasted amazingly long for a 100K plus car. During the interim, I had a 1993 Plymouth (Mitsubishi) Colt. I really liked that car and ended up making money when I finally sold it (after a minor accident where the insurance company "totaled" it and a hail storm, when they "totaled" it again). Right now, my DD is a Kia. Not only is it a great car, but the 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty makes it a "no-brainer".

All is not lost; I now have two cars (that are very important to me), a 1951 Ford club coupe and another '67 Corvette.

Things just aren't like they used to be. I do have lustings for a '57 DeSoto adventurer and a '53 Hudson Hornet club coupe with "Twin-H" power. About the only American car company that I have no interest in is Kaiser-Frazer. Wait a second; a Supercharged Hollywood Graham would really turn my crank!

11. I'm a pretty much a 'whatever trips my trigger at the moment' type of car guy. I like it, I buy it. When it bores me, or pisses me off, it's gone. Sometimes that takes a while, other times it takes minutes. No brand loyalty here. All production cars are just put together by guys that really would rather be somewhere else doing anything else, but can't pass up the paycheck and security that 'working on the line' provides. Nothing really special enough about production line cars to make me loyal to one over another. Now, purpose built, one offs, that's a different story...

12. I've had everything except Buick and chevrolet; with the exception of the '35 Standard in my profile pic. Only chevrolet I'd like to own would be a '63 split window 'Vette... with a small block Ford in it.

13. Nope, like them ALL.......even some not from the states :). That is why I have automotive A.D.D, I want to drive, wrench on and touch them all.

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have always been a Chevy guy. I do have a couple of fords, a 40 coupe (caddy power) and a 36 pickup (324 Olds power) ... I could probably be talked into a 49-51 Merc......

15. I used to be a die hard Ford guy. But now, I just like what I like, I don't care who manufactured it. I even like the old VW bugs and MGs.

16. In high school, I inherited the Ford sickness from my Grandad. Nothing but Ford’s. Then when it came time to buy my first new truck, I bought a 1997 S-10, my brother bought a new Ranger six months before and I didn’t want the same thing he had. Then I had a string of new late model problematic Chevy Full size trucks and finally had enough of GM’s crap and bought a new Dodge 2500 Diesel. Sorry, it will never be a Ram to me, forever a Dodge. When I raced and had hot rods, it was always old Chevrolet’s. My all time favorite engine will always be the Small Block Chevrolet, no apologies ever. I still think deep down inside that I’m a Ford man. Grandad will always see to that!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Ive always been a Ford/Mopar guy but have owned a Pontiac or two even a couple Chevys.

dana barlow, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. fortynut

fortynut

On the Eight Day, God made the small block Chevrolet just the right size to fit under the hood of Early Model Fords. Things couldn't get any better because, while he was at it, he also made sure 9 Inch Ford rear-ends would also fit under the rear. Hallelujah!

19. 6sally6

6sally6

I'm a Ford guy (sorta!/ya think?!) but I would definitely go 'over-to-the-dark-side' with a 63 split window or a 69/70 Hemi Cuda!! Shoot.........either one of those and I would stand on the street corner and cuss every Ford that went by!
    Just think'in about either one of those gives me 'funny-feeling' in my nether regions!:rolleyes:

20. I make no bones about it, I love the traditional hot rods & customs, but I also like hot rods that are not traditional, I have owned several later 60's hot rods, some Fords, Chevy's, Pontiac's, Dodge's and Plymouth's , all good cars but my favorites are the 30's-50's. HRP

chryslerfan55, 3W JOHN and wicarnut like this.
  21. adam401

adam401

I gotta say for me its Ford or nothing as far as HAMB friendly vehicles go. The other vehicles I love and have spent too much on are German and fast and aren't to be discussed here.

3W JOHN, j-jock and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I bleed Ford blue, but have owned several GM products and a few Mopars too. Was into Chevys and Pontiacs at one time until a couple of S10 pickups and a couple of small Pontiacs soured me on GM stuff. Went back to my raisin', Fords, with the exception of two C4 Corvettes and the current Formula 350 FBird.

Would love to have a 71-72 Chevy C10 swb pickup, a 53-54 Stude Lowey coupe or a 57-62 Vette. And wouldn't turn down a 71-72 SS Chevelle with a big block, either....

23. It's been at least almost 50 years ago I heard about a 1956 Porsche Speedster and had never actually sat in one, I drove over 800 miles to look at the car, it was in excellent shape but the interior showed a lot of wear, I learned real fast that the little German sports car was not designed a 6'4" Neanderthal I like myself.

I passed on the car and now I wish I would have bought it to resale, the guy wanted $1,500 dollars, hindsight is indeed 20/20. HRP

24. RmK57

RmK57

Of coarse I love the T-bolts coming from a big Ford fan but this another car I really admire. With some C-12 race fuel and a set of modern 275's drag radials these things could still hold their own with most of today's offerings.
    Gotta love them Hemi's!

01-1510939919316@2x.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  25. I am ecumenical, I embrace all old cars and big engines.
    I love Chevys, but own, or have owned, more of just about any other brand. I have never owned a MOPAR, not because I don't like them, (I do), but I know a lot more about Chevy and Ford engines. My favourite candidates for swaps were Buick nailhead, and Olds, but have done a bunch of swaps using FE 390s and 428s. I love BB Chevys big time, and have only done one swap using a small block.
    My favourite vehicles?
    Any old pickup, but especially my 55 Cameo, my 64 Corvette (wife has still not forgiven me for selling it 50 years ago), Toronado, my 67 big block Caliente, and a bunch of foreign coups with the numbers 635csi.
    Almost forgot to mention 53 Stude hardtop.
    It has been a fun hobby.
    Bob

chryslerfan55, 3W JOHN, Baumi and 2 others like this.
  26. spanners

spanners

I'm partial to a few brands but one. Without blurting it out all I'll say is I told my mate he couldn't come to my place unless he changed his surname. His surname was Ford but he changed it later in life to his original Greek name which I couldn't hope to spell correctly.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I am know as the Ford guy. And most of my cars I have reflect the Ford /Mercury name plates including my daily driven f150 and the wife's Mercury Mariner suv, but amoung the vintage Mercs, Mustangs and LTD convert and My late father inlaw's 23,000 mile 79 Pinto Pony! There are a number of 50's era Chevy's and one forlorn 36 Plymouth street rod! But mostly I like Fords because everyone else likes GM's and Mopar's! lol Larry

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am brand loyal, only in the sense that I buy brand-name stuff.

I work for GM, and don't own any of their products. My Model A has a GMC blower, and Hydramatic transmission, but those are on a Chrysler engine. The transmission in my Falcon came out of a Camaro. Some of the brake parts were destined for a Corvette.

29. loudbang

loudbang

Always been a FORD blue oval fan never owned another brand but like most performance cars. BUT (here come the HAMB sacrilege) I got to drive around in a 1975 Jaguar XJ-S with the V-12 for a couple months while undercover. It had been confiscated from a dope dealer and we got to use it. I must say it was a very nice car and the other undercover troopers lined up to use it next as we changed cars frequently. :rolleyes:

30. v8flat44

v8flat44

Ford guy, but, 57 Olds J-2, 61 Catalina Tri Power buble top, 64 Belvedere 383, any R2 powered Stude ........ yes i am SICK ...