Register now to get rid of these ads!

Manual trannys for early caddys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lugnutz9032, Jun 13, 2009.

1. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

I recently picked up a '52 331 and hydramatic to go in my lakes mod but discovered the trannys first gear (3.82:1)combined with the 4.11 in the '40 banjo rear I was going to use results in an overall ratio more suited to a truck turning 40" Superswampers.:eek:I'v got a Cad/Olds manual bellhousing and was wondering if someone could recommend a combination of flywheel/clutch and overdrive manual such as the T5 or even an early 3 speed that will accept a bolt on overdrive unit such as the Borg/Warner.I'd prefer to go with a hydraulic T/O bearing if possible.

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Well, if you used an early ('55-'65) Chevy three speed/OD transmission, you'd have the choice of either a 2.94:1 or 2.47:1 low gear ratio( 6 cylinder vs. V8 gears), or if you lucked out and found a close ratio three speed from an early 'vette, a gearset with a 2.21:1 low. Most of the later ('66-'71) Saginaw three speeds with OD had a low gear ratio of 2.85:1. However, the only transmission that will bolt to the factory stick bell housing is the style it came with originally.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I will bet that if you are clever you could use a Ford four speed that has fourth as an overdrive. fake top loader.

4. Scorch67

Scorch67
    from Omaha, Ne

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009

5. I used a NOS Schiefer Flywheel, Chevy clutch plate a Ford pressure plate (New style multiple spring one that replaces the old 3 level ones) and a Chevy Hydraulic bearing. Then used a Cad/Olds to Early Ford then a Speedway early for to Chevy. Im using a saginaw 4 speed.
    Clutch is super smooth, and light

[​IMG]