Register now to get rid of these ads!

Manual Steering Box Swaps...Share your knowledge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rot'nRodder, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Rot'nRodder

Rot'nRodder

I got a 51 Shoebox that I am considering doing a steering box swap on, but I figured this would be a good opportunity for sharing the wealth of knowledge and experience for doing a swap in any hot rod for other guys out there.

I am aware of the Volvo 140 swap and checked out the very detailed post about it, however I am quickly learning those cars and steering boxes are not easy to come by, especially in my part of SoCal where the wrecking yards suck compared to where I came from.

Just wondering if anyone has had success and improvement with any other swap.

2. john56h

john56h

I'd like to learn a bit about this too.

I don't mind manual steering, but what should I look out for? I was planning on using a manual box from a 1940 Chevy, but then I heard that a "circulating ball" type is best. What year did Chevy start using them in passenger cars? Was the 1940 box that type or another type?

I don't want to get this thing all together and then be dissapointed in my choice of a steering box. Thanks for any input.

3. Here's a couple pics of a Saginaw steering box in a 29 A.

A little larger than a Vega, but it fits ok.

Not sure what GM car it's out of, something along the lines of an 80's era Camaro or similar.

Take note of the "S" curve in the pitman arm.

Pay close attention to which way the pitman arm swings when the input shaft is turned.
    There's a very similar steering box that steers backwards from this one.

I'm guessing the different steering boxes are for a front steer or rear steer car.

Since it comes out of a car that' a few hundred pounds heavier than a Shoebox it should be usable.
    Along those same lines it looks like it would have more clearance than a Shoebox steering box.

And I'm taking it your Shoebox is a Ford.

Attached Files: