Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Manual heater valve

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SHARKO, Dec 13, 2017.

1. SHARKO

SHARKO

Does it make any difference which way a cable operated heater valve goes in the hose from the head to the heater?
    Thanks
    Pat

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You would want it so the cable is going towards the control in the car.

3. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Yep what he said...look at the mechanics of the cable operator and how it needs to push/pull for your application they work similar to a gas plug valve so it don't care on the flow.

4. i have seen a few that had an arrow and the words Flow. i don't know why, it looked the same looking in both ends.

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

The manual valve I have here has a stepped flange in the tube a stopper butts up against. I suspect it would be a more efficient flow stop if the flow came from the stopper end. That said, I'm mounting it so the cable operates best from the dash. Gene

6. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If its a ball valve type doesn't matter....

7. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

if its the vane type position it like a carb vane for flow to the heater.

8. SHARKO

SHARKO

It is a vintage air valve with an arrow which would make it a pull to open. NAPA sells a pull to close which would work better for me. But it is a rotating barrel inside and I can't see why it would matter.
    Pat
    I just called Vintage Air and they say the barrel only seals reliably one way so...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

[​IMG]
    Vintage air offers two valves. This one is #46105 - VUH, a pull to open valve and
    46104-VUH, a pull to close valve. So it looks like you can get which ever fits your application best.

10. Valves similar to this one, that 39 guy posted, may be able to be installed right side up for a "pull" and flipped right side down for a "push", depending on the geometry and angle of the dangle of the cable end clamp, etc.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

That's a good point shift Wizard!Love the HAMB! There is always someone with a practical point of view that can save us time and money!

12. H380

H380
    from Louisiana