Register now to get rid of these ads!

Manual column shifter in a model A Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mullskull, Jul 4, 2015.

1. mullskull

mullskull

Curious who has done this???

I'm in the process of building a 29 roadster, and considering using a column shifter set up.. The motive is to save room, and have something different...
    I also realize that this creates quite a bit more work, but I don't mind the extra design and fabrication..

I have a m-20 trans , with a swing pedal assembly, 1960 c-10 bell housing , clutch fork assembly.. This set up puts the clutch fork on the passenger side.. & gives me some extra room for linkages etc. I figured that I utilize reverse shifter position for 4th gear, and make a lever to engage reverse..

I was thinking of possibly using a column and shifter from a early 60's Chevy, but I'm not so sure..

I'm open for doner suggestions, photos or any other info that anyone may have..

Thanks...

Rich

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I think you mean reverse would be where first gear would be, right?

3. I'm a little foggy on the details now, but back in 1959 I had a 30 coupe with a flattie and a '40's 3 speed trans. Kept the original rear end. It had the steering column that went with the transmission and it was about like driving a stock '40's Ford. As I recall, it was a pretty simple install.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

A friend of mine built a '27 "T" with a column shift .
    He used a column from a 50's Jeep wagon or Jeepster.
    A separate small lever on the floor engaged reverse like a Hurst reverse lockout setup.
    It was fairly straight forward, he of course had to make the linkage from the column to the transmission. That was the hardest part, but not stupid hard!
    Great idea, good luck. You will enjoy the additional room the column shifter gives you.
    KK

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I seem to recall some???60's vans??? having column shifted 4 speeds.

6. F-head

F-head

how about a 40 to48 column, would look right,and theyre cheap and lots of them around

7. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Had a 1953 F100 with a 4 speed used the column shifter for 1st. thru 4th. And hooked reverse to the overdrive cable worked really good drove it for years.

Atwater Mike and scrap metal 48 like this.
  8. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Some '63 Ford Econolines used a 4 speed/column-shift (one year only, probably due to linkage troubles with the long linkage.) Replace the bushings & shifter grommets & you have a ready-made shifter(possibly even use the Econoline steering box?)

9. sdluck

sdluck

10. sdluck

sdluck

11. mullskull

mullskull

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas... looks like I need to do some reaserch, and snooping around for an econoline/ 60's van set up..... seems like a van column would be pretty bare bones.. nice and simply plain -

Sd.. I've seen that set up.. my concern would be the trans tunnel that I would need to run that set up in a channeled (4") car....

12. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I installed a T&F in my 40 with a Sag. It worked good, had a little trouble with reverse. I took it out because I had terrible clutch linkage and kept breaking the z-bar ball on the block. Once had to drive home from Paso without the clutch. But the truck is going in for a rebuild and will get the Sag back as I have stolen some good ideas here on the HAMB for better linkage.

13. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Not clear to me, but I also want a column shift on my 3spd but the starter on an actual Model A makes it tough. A small engine like a V8/60 was going to be my solution, but a channel and unknown engine takes any solution beyond... Always looking for a way to column an A with a banger. Still watching for ideas. Thanks: Fred A

14. Andy

Andy

I have a 40 column and shifter in my 32. I am running a red ram hemi and the head was sure in the way. I put a small recess right above the column and it lets everything clear. It is a nice set up and the arms are close together. They take up very little space. The rods can be bent in any direction to clear.

15. Any pictures of your frame or install? Curious to see how it looks with that big Hemi...

16. Andy

Andy

It is hard to take pics and see anything. Everything is black. The trans is in second gear. The firewall is stock except for the recess and a hump clearance.
    P1010791.JPG P1010785.JPG P1010796.JPG

LOU WELLS and volvobrynk like this.
  17. A friend has a 35 coupe with a flatty and a 46 column with column shift. Looks good and works very well

18. flatout51

flatout51

I have a 48 Ford trans and column in my 28 tudor. Works great. Not too much fab. I had a friend with a 52 ford with a 302 and toploader 4 speed he hooked his column shift up had to put it in neutral and had a stick on the floor for reverse. Worked pretty damned well.

19. Beau

Beau

Im cutious to know how this saves room?

20. It gets the shifter off the floor and out of the way for either leg/foot room or room to put something on the floor between the driver and the passenger. The steering column is already in place, and the shifter just piggy backs off that.

21. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438273392.005333.jpg

Or it gives room to bring a girl.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438273468.421159.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1438273640.519079.jpg

And it looks good.

22. Beau and volvobrynk like this.
  23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Exately, but a girl in the middle brings out the big smiles, but when she sits on the other side she might not smile as much.

Nope it ain't mine, I just put it in my "I like that"-folder.
    It looks good.

24. I like how you think.

volvobrynk likes this.