Register now to get rid of these ads!

man do i buy it or not!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1929Essex, Dec 17, 2011.

1. 1929Essex

1929Essex

man, found a 34 chevy four door sedan in a barn today. complete car, grille is shot, left side of the roof crushed. guy wants a grand for it. one part of me says buy it and the other part of me says finish my model a project. didnt take any pics it was pretty dark in the building. whats the market like for '34 chevy bumpers and fenders? any thoughts?

2. 1959apache

1959apache

One project at a time brother. Take it from someone who has two projects

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

What is the wood like in the body? That was the weak link in pre-37 Chevies. If the doors open and close reasonably well you probably should keep it together as a restoreable steel car. Once it's cut up it's gone forever. JMO

4. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

Chevys have alot of wood in them, but if it's been inside and in good condition it's got to be worth at least a grand in my opinion.

5. exterminator

exterminator

6. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Yup, let it go. You've got one on the burner...and this may or may not be worth it. Rotted wood sucks.

7. If you can get him down to $750 or so it may be a great parts car for an incomplete coupe project or maybe even [gasp!] a 'glass 34 3 window coupe body...especially if it has a good title. A huge deal in my state.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that if you have to stop and ask the rest of us the answer is no, let someone else have it.

9. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

The question is are you looking for another project after you get the A done? Will the grand finish up your A ? if so fix the A. Thats my .02.

10. 1929Essex

1929Essex

well my essex is done, the A coupe is my current project and this sedan would be on the back burner until thats done. I'm 24 and hopefully have many years of building hot rods left. Still thinking about it...

11. JD Miller

JD Miller

Get it, more "Stuff"

12. Help the guy post it on the HAMB then you have won

13. Ghost28

Ghost28

As said before if it's got a clean title snap it up. 34 chevys either 4 door or 2 door are nice looking cars, but they take a lot of work to because of the wood. at a swap meet the parts would get you your money back (maybe). If you got a place to store it for a future build it's not too out of line on the price.

14. Demono

Demono

Its a 4 door!

15. Without pictures of it, especially with a "Crushed roof" I'd say anyone is just shooting in the dark as far as value goes.

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

if the $1,000 or so (nor the storage space) isn't an issue for ya, grab it. How many are there out there? They are only going UP in value.

17. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Flip a coin if you got the money to spare

18. Crankhole

Crankhole

If it was a Ford, I'd say "grab it"...but, it's not.

19. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Nothing wrong with a moredoor. If you got the cash buy it, if it sits around your place for too long let it go. You shouldn't have any problem getting your money back on it, especially if you wash it and make it look somewhat presentable. Don't let the barn fall on it!

20. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

I say pass on it for now and finish your current project then if he still has it then go for it.

21. flamed34

flamed34

A 4-door should be a Master. At one point, front Master fenders sold for $2K for a solid straight pair (might be a bit less in today's market). The grill shell, rear fenders, and running boards also have decent value. With the exception of the running boards, none are reproduced in steel.

If you can pick it up for a grand - and those parts are good - you could always get your cash back out of it.

22. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

...so what?! I don't give a rat's ass if it's a 4 door, if you want it, get it.

But consider what that grand could do for your current project.....there will always be another.

23. chev 4-doors of that era are wooden cars with metal skins nailed on. Not an easy build unless you are a cabinet maker. Even the subrails between the floor and frame are wood. Pass on it, use the grand on your coupe project. Not like there aren't more projects out there.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you like the looks of it, have indoor storage for it, and a spair grand you can play with, then yes, get it. Check the condition of the wood, that is the main deal killer.

25. brad chevy

brad chevy

Why so much 4-door hating ? Remember Demono your last ride is going to be in a 4-door.

26. pinman 39

pinman 39

Do "You " like it ?
    There is more stuff out there than there is people to buy them .
    Don't buy anything that you wouldn't want to get stuck with !

27. Offer $500, if he takes it, buy. $1000 is a lot for a 4-door with a smashed roof and grille. If it wasn't wrecked, then it would be worth the grand all day. But it's probably a parts car. The title doesn't even mean much, if it's done off the body serial, Chevy put those tags in stupid places some years and they can be long gone.

28. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Here's the scoop on 34 Chevys:
    Model DA 112" wheelbase Master Passenger and Sedan Delivery
    with knee action (Dubonnet suspension)
    Model DC 107" wheelbase Standard Passenger with beam axle

35 Model EC 107" wheelbase Standard Passenger and Sedan Delivery with beam axle
    is often mistaken for 34.

Plate on firewall will have Model DA, DC, EC code on it. If missing wheelbase is your ticket to ID.