Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Mallory vs. MSD Distributors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, May 19, 2020.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

I've come this far now chasing down this *&^%$#@! miss so spending a little more is worth the time and $$$$$$. I mean after pulling the intake, plug wire covers and valve covers (buying new intake gasket (3), going through valve lash-preload, all new wires, plugs, coil, rechecking plug gap, taping the threads in the intake, finding I did the valve preload incorrect and doing it again, redoing my throttle return spring and having to modify the throttle linkage, re-installing the intake, having it run great in the driveway up to 6K RPM, thinking I finally got it only to find its still there under load, its worth the effort and I swore I was going to find it if it killed me.
    Besides my good uncle who operates out of the other Washington sent me an inheritance that he said I can use anyway I want to. You all know him, Sam.
    Got to believe my bud, Jim that it is the distributor and so after much research and advise from you good guys I'm ordering up the MSD 8391.
    2OLD2FAST said, " I think its OBSCENE that a distributor costs nearly $500 ! ", and he is correct. I found a site selling them at $429.00 but I'd worry that that's refurbished and I don't want that.
    Most all sites are selling a $466.00 so that's the route I'm going. I'll go with Jeggs because of their quick delivery, usually (3/4) days.
    The 8391 does not operate with an Ignition Box which I like a lot also.
    So since returning from Arizona last March its going to have 2 new Edlebrock AVS-2 4bll carbs, a new cobra style air cleaner, new throttle return spring linkage, and now this new MSD distributor. Just hope without praying that the &*^%$# miss above 2500 RPM leaves me and my 34 alone and finds someplace to live.:p:mad:.
    I think I'll just close this drama up with this update. If you get to wondering if I ever did cure this just PM me say in a week or so, I'll be happy having the company.:):D