Register now to get rid of these ads!

making your own fiberglass headliner... anyone done it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Beau

Beau

Use the outside of the cab to make a plug. That should give you the general shape and allow you to add or build up different areas.

2. johnnynogood

johnnynogood

I did a somewhat similar method on the headliner in my 4dr Dodge. A trip to the art supply store and an afternoon and I had this:

[​IMG]

Quick deats: I striped the original headliner (which were a series of curved cardboard w foam that turned to complete crap over the years) and glued felt directly to the metal roof structure (giving the print something to bite into and softens edges):

[​IMG]

Then I used ModPodge glue to adhere my desired print to the felt, layered the image, and finished it with a few coats of Shellac-type clear coat I brushed on. For the print, I cut out about a hundred vintage Men's interest comics and layered them on one-by-one.

[​IMG]

It's been holding up well for 3+ years, aside from faded sun-exposed spots. And no one has on like it.

[​IMG]