Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making progress on the A roadster —she runs!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGirlRox, Sep 23, 2008.

1. DRD57

DRD57

That's bitchin!

2. That's Awesome!

3. kisam

kisam

Too cool! Love that exhaust sound - wouldn't change that for the world!
    Kathy

4. Pretty damn cool!

Joel

5. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

That smile is priceless.

6. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Tuesday night…

Even though I got a bit of late start I was determined to get something done. I hadn’t been planning on re-using the wheel cylinders (or brake lines or master cylinder) but I figured I’d better get the drums off and see what was going on in there. Fortunately they all came off nicely. They were fairly clean and looked like this:

[​IMG]

I learned something about the brakes I had never known or at least remember knowing. The wheel cylinders are bigger on one side than the other. You can tell from this picture:

[​IMG]

The bigger side is to accommodate the larger brake, evidenced by the next picture. Even though the metal portions are the same size you can see how the lining is longer on the right than on the left.

[​IMG]

In the back of the car it is exactly the opposite with the larger chamber towards the front of the car. Crappy pic but you get the drift.

[​IMG]

I also ran into something else I had never seen before, metal sleeves. When I took the right rear off this sleeve slid out

[​IMG]

It seems as if was acting as a shim. I’m wondering if it has something to do with the axle being Model A and the juice brake conversion? The shims seem to be homemade, they have some kind of paint on them, maybe an old metal paint can cut up or something?

When I got to the other side there was one there too, but it didn’t fall out. If you look hard you can see it.

[​IMG]

On the same side that the--- we’ll call it a ‘shim’—slide out of the key way was totally loose. It had rode loose for a long time. The slot still looks good but this piece is junk.

[​IMG]

Another unique modification that was made was to the rear backing plates to accommodate the juice brake set up. Notice the cut out? :D

[​IMG]

Ahhh, the old timers. They sure had some ideas!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  7. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

With everything removed this is what the front set up looks like. Anyone have a good i.d. on it yet? I’m going to take the kingpins out tonight :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today on my lunch hour at work I ran down to our warehouse to use our new parts washer to clean the wheel components I had removed. It is one of those fancy ones that warms the fluid, has a brush and a faucet and nozzle and a drip tray --- but I digress…

The bearings and seals all appear to be in great condition. No chips, no scars, nothing. Even some genuine Ford parts!

[​IMG]

This bearing has come full circle. Timken bearings are made here in Canton, Ohio and now the bearing is back again!

[​IMG]

8. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Last night after I had the wheels torn apart, parts bagged and marked I started to remove the master cylinder and what brake lines were left. The master cylinder is mounted in what we would consider the standard place (under the driver’s side floor) and the guy had cut an access panel in the splash apron/running board. The bolts holding it to the frame were the hardest to remove of any thus far!

[​IMG]

When I got it out I didn’t really recognize what it was from but it had visible numbers so figured the boys at Napa could figure it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, they did figure it out and it solved a BIG mystery. With the modifications made to the car I couldn’t really decipher exactly when they were done. Since most of the parts were late 30s/early 40s I figured the upgrades could have occurred anytime after ’41 or so. The master cylinder ended up being from a Kaiser automobile, possibly more specifically a Henry J! That puts the juice brakes (barring there wasn’t other master cylinders before this one) conversion on the car in the late 40s/early 50s! Neat!

Another puzzle to me were the pedals in the car. I would expect it to have round pedals like a ’32 but my A doesn’t, it has these:

[​IMG]

Today while moving a ’36 Chevy out to be delivered I was greeted by some very similar pedals:

[​IMG]

So at least I have a couple Chevy parts in this roadster to keep my name! :D

9. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

A couple parting shots for the night…

My sweet old rear tires, LOVE the tread pattern

[​IMG]

My wheel-less roadster :(

[​IMG]

Now, for another night of fun….

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Whoa! Random assembly of brake pieces!! You need some Ford books, but here's a decent start for reassembly online:
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_brakes-pics/Flathead_Brakes_46-48car.jpg
    Front is to RIGHT, shows short&long linings, cylinders.
    Shims evil axle destrying stuff...gotta work out a way to get drums on without them.
    Pedals are stock, but covered with non-stock rubber.
    Get a Bratton's Model A catalog right away...
    I'd recommend Model A Service bulletins, owner's manual, and Page's great book sold under some other name...gotta look...and a '28-32 parts book. All in cheap repro...

11. I'll be right over with some refreshments to give you a hand.;)

12. Brandi

Brandi

Outstanding progress!

13. power58

power58

Glad for You. Nothing like making heat in an engine that has sat for a long time. Keep us posted on your progress.

14. unibody

unibody

Very COOL! You're making great progress on that thing.:D

15. Already lookin' forward to tomorrow, your enthusiasm is contagious!

And the sage advice is beyond amazing. GREAT thread, Megan!

16. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Brakes look to be 39-42 Ford units. They do not have the dimples of the later versions.

This link should come in handy for brake adjustments.

HERE

Sure jealous of that roadster Megan.

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I think a painting of a black barn find A roadster might sell pretty quickly at the Lonestar RoundUp next year.;)

18. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

19. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Nice Megan, I'm totally impressed with your progress. That shot with the dirt under the fingernail says it all. You're too cool. Keep the updates coming. Gary

20. Amusing to see a girl talk about proportions and not be referring to a new pair of jeans or something.

Good luck getting her streetable, looks like you don't really need to do a lot except clean it up and change that drag link.

21. Those old tires look pretty good for the Showdown next spring....

22. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Early Ford brakes : big bore of wheel cylinder ALWAYS points to front of car,Short brake lining to rear. Note: alot of replacement shoes have equal length lining. Spindles look to be 39-41 with a welded on steering arm for the draglink. The early style brake like you have needs the bottom anchor bolts adjusted first when you put thing back together. notched rear backing plates was the way we did it 40+ years ago. Those shims are to keep the drum from rubbing the backing plate. Easy fix turn the flange on thelip of the backing plate off .125 or so.

23. Great video,the only thing missing,is your usual "partner in crime,Denise":rolleyes:Oh,and did anyone ever tell you how hot a woman looks in coveralls?;) Those pedals look like the stock pedals in my 29 Chevy.

24. That was a short drive down a long driveway. Whatcha gonna do with them there horns?

Thanks,
    Kurt

25. klazurfer

klazurfer

Waay COOL thread :):)

BTW .. The "weld-on" steering arm needs attention .. Better safe than sorry

Klaz:)

Attached Files:

26. dudley32

dudley32

front drums are 41-48...40 up had hub inside drum..you won't need to split the wishbone if you run a b motor..nice find

27. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

HAHA. I love it Megan. Cool beans.

Doc.

28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Roadstergirl rocks!

29. Congratulations on your first ride!!! one of thousands to come..