Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making lenses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ragtop, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

The post a while ago about parking lights got me thinking about repairing the lenses on my '34 turn signals. I used '52 Chevy licence plate lights as did RODNCUSTOM on his '32 but I tightened mine a tad too tight and ended up having them both break. I also used one as a third brake light (not HAMB friendly maybe, but I don't want my coupe getting smacked in the bum by some idiot who can't see my 47 Chevy lights.) and I kinda like the look but the red LEDs I used didn't show up well so I wanted to make a red lens. I made up a little wooden box and filled it with Bondo, set the one good lens I have in there and let it start to set up. Once the bondo started to kick I pulled the lens out. (I used wax as a release but didn't trust it too much.) The lens came out clean. I used a very thin piece of lexan I had picked up at a swap meet and a heat gun to mold two clear lenses. I was surprised how well the turned out so I made a red one out of some 20 year old Plexiglass I had laying around - it was thicker then the clear and required a lot more heat but the toughest part was peeling the backing off the 20 year old plastic. I drilled a hole in my new mold to let the air out and to hook up a vauum line if required but turned out I didn't need it. Here's some pics (please excuse the dust but the coupe's been sitting for three months - it's frick'n cold here)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

An oven would probably have worked better but if your wife is a mean as mine you'd use a heat gun too! LOL. Hope this helps someone. I couldn't find any more Chevy lenses and It seems they repop only sedan delivery lenses, plus the red one is a bonus.

3. I'll have to give it a try.........Thanks for the post

4. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

Here is a step-by-step procedure for making lenses in case anyone is interested, all kinds of custom lenses could be made using this process.

Alumilite Lense How-To.

5. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

The Alumilite way is pretty cool.
    Is it possible to make glass lenses at home?

6. djmartins

djmartins

I also would like to make GLASS lenses at home.
    Any and all info would be appreciated!

7. That product looks really good.......Have you tried it?

8. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

Not for lenses but I used it for prototyping a repair piece for a printer for work and it worked great! It was a pretty complicated sensor flag and it came out perfect.